Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi All,

Just want to share my renovation experience and hope it creates awareness to others and not to repeat the same mistake I made.

1. Just because the contractor is recommended by someone you know doesn't mean they are good. My current contractor is introduced by two of my colleagues, both of them said his pricing was reasonable and his work is not too bad. It was a terrible mistake made by me for not doing more research by checking their reviews online prior deciding. After my first misunderstanding with my contractor, I found many more complaints about them online. Their quality of work has deteriorate over time after they had receive more exposure on corporate and private projects.

2. Not having the proper documents to protect my rights. My contractor only offer an itemized quotation to sign on to act as confirmation of renovation. After reading on CASE, we are advised to sign on a proper contract like this (https://www.case.org.sg/pdf/model_renovation.pdf) and attaching the proposed timeline, quotation and 3D drawings if any. Right now, my contractor is dragging my renovation although he verbally agree to complete by end of July. Since nothing official has been written down, he is taking advantage of it.

3. Do site visitation as often as possible. Initially I trusted the contractor and only visited my place once a week. This has caused me the wrong trunking position that could not be changed and slacking of work of contractor as I did not follow up with him as often as I should. I recommend to visit your place at least 3 times a week to make sure what they are doing is aligned to what you want.

4. Do markings on wall with masking tapes and marker pen. While walking through my house with the contractor on my requirements, he did not pen them down nor did he do any markings on wall. He even confidently told me that he can remember everything in his brain. Right now, he is denying some of the things I had mentioned and I had no proof against it. 

5. Ask for a new quotation or invoice every time when there are changes or when they offer to do something for free. Some of the things we thought are meant to be free are no longer free after renovation has begun. We have to pay extra for patching of wall (after removal of old electrical trunking) and patching of gaps behind new trunking. His reason was we did not do wall / ceiling plastering, thus, patching of holes and gaps are not inclusive. They left the wall looking ugly and uneven.

6.Request for walk through with electrician, plumber and carpenters. My contractor is not able to juggle his work load and does not take extra care for my design preference. He made the decisions for me, e.g. pulling the trunking in a certain way, or installing the bidet at another location and etc. He was not to keen when I asked him to change and he became offensive and was unprofessional with his words and behavior.

7. Put down your feet and insist if you want things to be in a certain way. Ultimately, you will be staying in the house and not the contractors. A good contractor should advise you but not to force you to give in to their opinions. 

8. Do not put personal belonging in the house until renovation is complete. Unless you are fine with them using your item (e.g. extra light bulb, plastic stools or cleaning products), if not, do not leave any personal belongings in the house's storeroom. Because of the delay of our renovation, we had shifted some of our belongings to the storeroom, but found that the workers are using our items without permission. They did not even bother to clean up after and put it back to the original position after using, which created much more work for me.

Both my hubby and I had learned this in the hard way and hope none of you had to go through what we had. It was a heartache and traumatizing experience for us. It kills our joy of owning our own place.

Edited by FatRabbit

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

I am waiting to collect my house keys this month (September) and I am still looking for either a contractor / interior designer to renovate my house. Maybe you can PM me this company's name so that I can avoid it immediately.

Thanks in advance.

On 8/13/2017 at 7:16 PM, FatRabbit said:

Hi All,

Just want to share my renovation experience and hope it creates awareness to others and not to repeat the same mistake I made.

1. Just because the contractor is recommended by someone you know doesn't mean they are good. My current contractor is introduced by two of my colleagues, both of them said his pricing was reasonable and his work is not too bad. It was a terrible mistake made by me for not doing more research by checking their reviews online prior deciding. After my first misunderstanding with my contractor, I found many more complaints about them online. Their quality of work has deteriorate over time after they had receive more exposure on corporate and private projects.

2. Not having the proper documents to protect my rights. My contractor only offer an itemized quotation to sign on to act as confirmation of renovation. After reading on CASE, we are advised to sign on a proper contract like this (https://www.case.org.sg/pdf/model_renovation.pdf) and attaching the proposed timeline, quotation and 3D drawings if any. Right now, my contractor is dragging my renovation although he verbally agree to complete by end of July. Since nothing official has been written down, he is taking advantage of it.

3. Do site visitation as often as possible. Initially I trusted the contractor and only visited my place once a week. This has caused me the wrong trunking position that could not be changed and slacking of work of contractor as I did not follow up with him as often as I should. I recommend to visit your place at least 3 times a week to make sure what they are doing is aligned to what you want.

4. Do markings on wall with masking tapes and marker pen. While walking through my house with the contractor on my requirements, he did not pen them down nor did he do any markings on wall. He even confidently told me that he can remember everything in his brain. Right now, he is denying some of the things I had mentioned and I had no proof against it. 

5. Ask for a new quotation or invoice every time when there are changes or when they offer to do something for free. Some of the things we thought are meant to be free are no longer free after renovation has begun. We have to pay extra for patching of wall (after removal of old electrical trunking) and patching of gaps behind new trunking. His reason was we did not do wall / ceiling plastering, thus, patching of holes and gaps are not inclusive. They left the wall looking ugly and uneven.

6.Request for walk through with electrician, plumber and carpenters. My contractor is not able to juggle his work load and does not take extra care for my design preference. He made the decisions for me, e.g. pulling the trunking in a certain way, or installing the bidet at another location and etc. He was not to keen when I asked him to change and he became offensive and was unprofessional with his words and behavior.

7. Put down your feet and insist if you want things to be in a certain way. Ultimately, you will be staying in the house and not the contractors. A good contractor should advise you but not to force you to give in to their opinions. 

8. Do not put personal belonging in the house until renovation is complete. Unless you are fine with them using your item (e.g. extra light bulb, plastic stools or cleaning products), if not, do not leave any personal belongings in the house's storeroom. Because of the delay of our renovation, we had shifted some of our belongings to the storeroom, but found that the workers are using our items without permission. They did not even bother to clean up after and put it back to the original position after using, which created much more work for me.

Both my hubby and I had learned this in the hard way and hope none of you had to go through what we had. It was a heartache and traumatizing experience for us. It kills our joy of owning our own place.

How long does it takes for the ID to finish your renovation? 
Do you have any pictures that you can show :D:D

Thanks for this amazing thread! A pity I signed with a contractor for my kitchen renovation before I came across this... Will be more vigilant the next time before I commence works for other parts of my house.