Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fingerscross

Our 4-Bedder Resale Condo Reno Journey 54.5k (excl electric works)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wanted to wait till carpentry is up before posting an update, but the paint works which had been bugging my wife for the past week finally got to me. If you are selecting various shades of grey....avoid nippon OW1049P Special Touch. The **** thg turns out purple or blue at certain angles but not grey. I tried to capture a photo....well, it turned out grey in 3 diff angles tat i took so no point posting the photo. No wonder it appears grey in the catalogue n website. Initially i tot its bcos the masterbedroom is bright so tats why the colour is bluish purple. But my living room's selection of Ash Grey looks grey. Finally admitted defeat to wifey .....(well as usual she turns out right)...and got id to repaint the masterbedroom. Need to topup $ ??? I call him bro, he calls me bro but we dont share the same surname you know...so of course need to topup lah, nothing is free in this world. You will know this when your wife gives birth to your first son:P (althou u did most of the wrk prior).....yup, not free buddy:P

4 hours ago, fingerscross said:

Wanted to wait till carpentry is up before posting an update, but the paint works which had been bugging my wife for the past week finally got to me. If you are selecting various shades of grey....avoid nippon OW1049P Special Touch. The **** thg turns out purple or blue at certain angles but not grey. I tried to capture a photo....well, it turned out grey in 3 diff angles tat i took so no point posting the photo. No wonder it appears grey in the catalogue n website. Initially i tot its bcos the masterbedroom is bright so tats why the colour is bluish purple. But my living room's selection of Ash Grey looks grey. Finally admitted defeat to wifey .....(well as usual she turns out right)...and got id to repaint the masterbedroom. Need to topup $ ??? I call him bro, he calls me bro but we dont share the same surname you know...so of course need to topup lah, nothing is free in this world. You will know this when your wife gives birth to your first son:P (althou u did most of the wrk prior).....yup, not free buddy:P

i had the same problem with my puritan black. basically you want a grey that has no blue or red  undertones ie. one that is just black mixed with white. according to this :

http://encycolorpedia.com/e1e2e4

yours has some cyan and magenta in it, thats why it looks both blue & purple. i made the same mistake as well! mine has alot of cyan actually no wonder it looks so blue. wished i did more research about undertones before i chose the color :(

18 hours ago, matchalatte said:

i had the same problem with my puritan black. basically you want a grey that has no blue or red  undertones ie. one that is just black mixed with white. according to this :

http://encycolorpedia.com/e1e2e4

yours has some cyan and magenta in it, thats why it looks both blue & purple. i made the same mistake as well! mine has alot of cyan actually no wonder it looks so blue. wished i did more research about undertones before i chose the color :(

Hi ml, i did read about your exp with puritan black and i can totally understand your frustration now. I actually took extra care to avoid that colour when we did our selection. However what i didnt realise is that nippon had other paints that were prone to surprise n didnt actually bother abt what colours went into the paint. Paint selection used to be a simple and straight forward process....what u see on paper u will get 95% to 98% on your wall. I actually got close to 0% on my wall with Special Touch. It had 0 hint of grey when seen with the naked eye. I mean if i wanted my room light bluish purple, i wld hav selected one that looked like that in the catalogue. Why wld i wanna select grey. Nippon shld change their tagline to "we suprise you" or " expect the unexpected" 

Anyways...jus glad that the other rooms turned out alright. Imagine if the brown colour selected turned out green....repainting wld have been even more painful

21 minutes ago, fingerscross said:

Hi ml, i did read about your exp with puritan black and i can totally understand your frustration now. I actually took extra care to avoid that colour when we did our selection. However what i didnt realise is that nippon had other paints that were prone to surprise n didnt actually bother abt what colours went into the paint. Paint selection used to be a simple and straight forward process....what u see on paper u will get 95% to 98% on your wall. I actually got close to 0% on my wall with Special Touch. It had 0 hint of grey when seen with the naked eye. I mean if i wanted my room light bluish purple, i wld hav selected one that looked like that in the catalogue. Why wld i wanna select grey. Nippon shld change their tagline to "we suprise you" or " expect the unexpected" 

Anyways...jus glad that the other rooms turned out alright. Imagine if the brown colour selected turned out green....repainting wld have been even more painful

hello yes its true. probably 10-20 years ago there were only paint in various shades of white ie. lily white, apple white, and things were alot less complicated then lol. most of the time they would look more or less accurate.

they say grey is the trickiest color. if i could do it all over again, i would probably look at the CYMK component of the color, then buy a small tub of paint and paint samples on the wall. thats the only way out. looking at paint chips or catalog just isnt accurate at all esp where grey is concerned. 

Edited by matchalatte

3 hours ago, matchalatte said:

hello yes its true. probably 10-20 years ago there were only paint in various shades of white ie. lily white, apple white, and things were alot less complicated then lol. most of the time they would look more or less accurate.

they say grey is the trickiest color. ifi could do it all over again, i would probably look at the CYMK component of the color, then buy a small tub of paint and paint samples on the wall. thats the only way out. looking at paint chips or catalog just isnt accurate at all esp where grey is concerned. 

luckily my grey turns out fine.. :wacko:

A stress free reno this will be....yah right! Its like asking for a quarrel free marriage

Arranged a slot with a mover that was recommended by wife's colleague n realised he is also a well known mover frm reno talk. Takes forever to reply watsapp but v polite on the phone. The other choice...a mover which i engaged donkey yrs back. Fast to reply but quite....hmmmm not so pleasant on the phone. Rate quoted was the same. But felt tat b4 even getting the business if they cannot even bother to pretend to be nice, what more later or shld thgs go wrong, how then?

On monday ID mentioned carpentry delivery set for friday. Mon, tues n wed it rained. Thurs was sunny, friday rained early morning n was gloomy till early aftn.  Stressful much! Thk goodness it didnt rain when they delivered. But fri was only a partial delivery cos too much carpentry....now hav to pray next delivery date wont rain too.

Arranged with harvey on mon for delivery of brandt hood, hob, oven for friday delivery. After ting dong to n fro, was told they dont hav stock for the oven, b4 i cld ask them.....now how? Solution given was a free upgrade to a newer model with same outlook but more features.....sounds like a gd deal just got better!

Kitchen cabinet (bottom half) was aldy up on fri evening when we did a site visit. Tall unit had some minor error regardung laminate colour. More of a miscomm actually. Looks easy to rectify n will meet id on mon to discuss. We walked arnd to see the bits n pieces of carpentry laid all over the hse. I cannot comment that workmanship is good bcos most r not installed yet n kitchen cabninet doors r not up yet i really dont wanna jinx thgs here. So can only say nothing to complain about where quality is concerned.

Cant seem to load photos again. Just to share a little i learnt ystd frm my fav light shop. They dont sell LED strip n metal case drivers there so i guess the advise given is pretty genuine. Where LED strip lights is concerned, try to get the 505 ones. Was told they r more lasting than the 385 ones. When calculating the waltage for the driver, ask the shop to add 20% so ur driver wont be running on full capacity and it will last longer. I didnt do this when i purchased mine. Oh and metal casing drivers r much better since they r safer n more durable. 

This reno project, ive recd nothing but top notch svs frm the ppl ive dealt with.

Fan n lights

Accepted fan n lights delivery frm n lighting, was too busy to chk cos was talking to carpenters. Later on realised one of the tracks had a bad dent. Contacted Tee n he said no prob, will change. Even the other items if got issue when electrician install jus let him know, they will help to change.

Harvey Norman

Posted abt the free upgrade of oven in prev post.

Inspire Group n ID

Almost a week after carpentry delivery, i wld say abt 80% of carpentry is up. Quartz top is being installed today. Feeling quite relieved that thgs r gng smoothly and i m really pleased with the quality n workmanship. Place is still a mess with 3 carpenters n 2 table-top guys in the hse. Will do a site visit tomoro to capture more pics. Meantime will jus post whatever i managed to take without getting into the workers' way.

First pic....FOC Bible stand i got id to do with the excess quartz that they cut out to fit the sink n stove. Now i must say, workmanship for this is really really gd. I dont know the exact % make up of  quartz n resin, can only say the quartz supplied is v dense cos the stand is v heavy. Of course design wise i opted for one of their 3 common design to be eligible for their promo price. 

IMG-20171110-WA0008.jpeg