Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sherlock

[HELP!] Trouble with Tile Skirting

Hi everyone, in need of advice! I'm currently renovating my 30 year old resale flat and have a problem with the skirting done by my contractor. Before the renovation started, I went with his suggestion to have a tile skirting to match my floor (I wanted to go without skirting or have a white skirting but he said better to use the tiles). Now that the skirting is up, I'm unhappy with the outcome - the skirting looks thick, some parts look thicker than the rest and the finishes on top of the skirting are uneven/wavy. When I raised these concerns to my contractor, he said this is the tiler's technique (i.e. the skirting finishes with a slope upwards) and nothing more can be done as our walls are not straight. He said we can hack and redo with a flat finishing but it will be sharp at the edges (??) and he cannot promise it will look better. Basically, NOTHING CAN BE DONE. Can I seek forumners views:

1. Is what my contractor said true - that nothing can be done? Is this kind of workmanship acceptable? See photos attached.
  2. Is it possible to hack away my skirting without damaging the floor tiles? At this point, is it possible to hack away and do without skirting OR replace with a skirting board? 

Thanks all in advance!

IMG_4659.JPG

IMG_4662.JPG

IMG_4672.JPG

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wood skirting would be nice.  Wood will not look thick and it comes in long plank.  Ceramic skirting look thick because it needs cement to bond it to the wall.

Edited by Juzzhome
miss out some point

Thanks @Juzzhome! I think so too. Do you think I can still change my skirting to the wood one at this stage? Not sure if my tiles will be damaged if I hack off the current tile skirting, or if I will run into any other issues with the replacement. 

I am not too sure whether it is possible to hack off the ceramic skirting.  Please discuss with your ID or contractor.  

I know that after spending so much on renovation and I can understand that it is very energy draining to see the work not up to your expectation

I hope the contactor can do something to make it look better especially the uneven and wavy areas.  

hey sherlock how thick are your skirting? 

got a shock too at how thick my skirting are ... average 2ish cm and slanted wall some went up to 3ish almost 4cm of skirting ... **** fugly ... which id u use? 

Personally, I also had such problems and I realized that I would not be able to manage on my own, so I decided to resort to tiles and grout cleaning and it was really a very good choice. At first, I only needed help with my tiles, but when I read on their website that they offer carpet cleaning and washing services with special detergents and besides many other details, I realized that I needed their help more than I thought at the beginning. In the end, I was satisfied with their services and I can recommend them with confidence.