Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sherlock

Fixing uneven walls

Dear forumners, I just bought an old 30-year-old resale flat and currently undergoing renovation. Can seek everyone's views if the workmanship in the photos below is acceptable? My contractor said the unevenness between the skirting and wall is due to my walls being uneven/curved. I can accept that my walls are uneven (even though I have paid to plaster the whole house) but is there anything that can be done to straighten the walls? Appreciate your advice.

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

IMG_4713.JPG

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I think the 1st picture looks OK. The 2nd picture is due to the wall not flat and 3rd picture is that the wall not straight.

I would say that from the tiler's perspective, they are correct to run the skirting flat instead of following the uneven wall. 

Plastering could flatten (and should smoothen) the surface but I think in your case, if the plasterer were to do it, the layer of plaster would be very thick and if it cracks & fall off (in future), it's a bigger eyesore and you have a bigger headache.

1 hour ago, Juzzhome said:

Discuss with your ID and work out a solution.  BTW, is the 13A electrical socket looks unique. 

It's a multi plug socket. We installed it for only a few points in our home where we foresee we might use for different appliances :)

1 hour ago, w7_lee said:

I think the 1st picture looks OK. The 2nd picture is due to the wall not flat and 3rd picture is that the wall not straight.

I would say that from the tiler's perspective, they are correct to run the skirting flat instead of following the uneven wall. 

Plastering could flatten (and should smoothen) the surface but I think in your case, if the plasterer were to do it, the layer of plaster would be very thick and if it cracks & fall off (in future), it's a bigger eyesore and you have a bigger headache.

Thanks @w7_lee for the advice. Actually I also have an issue with how thick my skirting looks. I've in mind to hack away the skirting and install pvc skirting instead. Photos here: 

Appreciate your views!

On 9/29/2017 at 10:20 AM, sherlock said:

Dear forumners, I just bought an old 30-year-old resale flat and currently undergoing renovation. Can seek everyone's views if the workmanship in the photos below is acceptable? My contractor said the unevenness between the skirting and wall is due to my walls being uneven/curved. I can accept that my walls are uneven (even though I have paid to plaster the whole house) but is there anything that can be done to straighten the walls? Appreciate your advice.

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4712.JPG

IMG_4713.JPG

Hi, how's your wall/ceiling plaster now? Still ok? Bathroom ceiling plaster still ok?

Would you recommend do plastering? My HDB is 34-year-old.