Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Peterborough

Raised Platform using laminates or vinyl tiles?

Hi all, I've been quoted by different firm for platform. For some reason, the platform made using vinyl tiles cost lesser than platform using laminates.

Can anyone advise which is better, pro and cons? I thought vinyl tiles would be more resistant than laminate but 1 ID told me otherwise. Platform area is about 5.4m2 (58ft2). 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Between Vinyl and Laminates. 

Usually laminates will always beat vinyls in terms of pricing. (Made in China Products)
But some laminates are mid-high end. So without knowing your platform specs. Not easy to understand why is vinyl more expensive instead. Is there a specific look you wish to achieve? 

As for resistance factor. Yes, Vinyl is overall more resistant than Laminates. 
Vinyl is 100% Waterproof, Laminate isn't. 

Hi @Kio Sai Gang, thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, vinyl platform was quoted cheaper than laminates. So I'm not sure why, as laminates is thought to be cheaper. Say if I was quoted the highest range laminates, would it still be more expensive than vinyl? 

Specs is just the measurement mentioned above. No other spec. It is a Regular rectangular platform. 

Actually vinyl is cheaper than laminate, flooring vinyl is meant to cover larger surface and if you get the vinyl directly from suppliers or distributors, it can go as cheaply as $1.30 psf. Whereas for laminate, it is used to cover bear wood surface and more for carpentry usage. Carpentry used to be very cheap and few years back was only $70 - $90 pfr, now with the variety of 'premium' laminates, you see carpentry prices skyrocketing to $270 - $290 pfr. The man hour to apply laminates is another factor as you'll need skilled carpenters with proper equipment to make sure the corners are seamlessly applied and rounded. For vinyl, simple penknife and steel rule will suffice.