Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whoelse

Diy Painting Whole House - How Much Cost Saving?

How long has your ceiling been painted with Matex paint?

Previoulsy, my renovation contract is to paint whole house with ICI. They used white Matex for the ceiling. Technically, I can't sue them because Matex is by ICI but a cheaper range. Within a few weeks, fungus spots shows up all over the ceiling, whole house. I am still living with the stains today one year later. Avoid Matex paint like a plague if you think your wall could be damp due to lack of sun light or you do not use aircon.

You are right .....Matex cost about $20 for one big tank which most contractor use. go for those $40-60 which i doing DIY.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Did mine for $1150 by independent painter. :dancingqueen:

3 coats - 1 coat sealant, 2 coats of paint. use nippon 3-in-1 medifresh. can choose up to 3-4 colours.

include painting of 4 doors(mbr, 2xbdrm, shelter), 1x main gate.

ceiling all white , use matex paint. :yamseng:

How long has your ceiling been painted with Matex paint?

Previoulsy, my renovation contract is to paint whole house with ICI. They used white Matex for the ceiling. Technically, I can't sue them because Matex is by ICI but a cheaper range. Within a few weeks, fungus spots shows up all over the ceiling, whole house. I am still living with the stains today one year later. Avoid Matex paint like a plague if you think your wall could be damp due to lack of sun light or you do not use aircon.

Hi,

Do we need to mix the paint with water before applying the paint to the walls/ceilings? I duno why my dad say need? Doesnt that make the paint more dilute? I am talking abt paint like Dulux Supreme 3-in-1 or Dulux Pentalite.

Did mine for $1150 by independent painter. :)

3 coats - 1 coat sealant, 2 coats of paint. use nippon 3-in-1 medifresh. can choose up to 3-4 colours.

ceiling all white , use matex paint. :yamseng:

Hey, can get your painter number. thanks....

Btw, anyone get their own apint and just pay for the labour?? Will that be cheaper??

:yamseng:

Did mine for $1150 by independent painter. :D

ceiling all white , use matex paint. :D

think home-fix is offering $1,400 for classic package for EA

quite worth it in my opinion

though my contractor offer lower, $1,350 for medifresh :dancingqueen:

i did painting ourselves too, and its a horrible thing to do! nvr ever do it urself.

one way of saving cost is to go to the new hsing estates and check out which unit is doing painting works.

ask a quotation from these workers as even barang barang/contractors out-source the painting jobs to them. plus u can check out their work b4 even asking for quotations.....

wished i had done tat myself..... :dancingqueen:

I have paid $1600 for to paint the whole house. I calculated they painted 7 layer all in all for my red wall and 5 coating for some darker wall. :P 2 painter each time. They took a total of 4 work days to complete the whole process. My previous house me and my hubby painted the house on our own and almost give up half way. !! To much time consume and the result is yuck. :) We find it not worth to take time off to do this paint job which take use nearly 8 days to complete. If we go to work, we are earning much much much more than that price. :sport-smiley-018: Do the math and sometime thing like this is better to be left for the professional. :)

Hi, I am consider engaging ICI painting package for 5-rm at $1400 (5 color). If I would to paint myself with the same amount of work regardless of how good the paint result, what will be the labour cost saving I will save out of the $1400 roughly?

For my 5 room flat, me and my wife DIY the painting,

total paint used

1) 2 X 7litre sealer ($16 each)

2) 2 X 5litre Nippon medifresh ($50+ each, forget the price) living room

3) 3 x 5 litre Nippon ordorless ($57 each) 2bedroom, 1MBR

4) 1 x 1litre Nippon ordorless ($15, bought extra)

total cost : around $330

I got a quote from a painter contractor:

he charging me $1050 for 3 coats of paint - 1 sealer + 2 layer of nippon medifresh washable paint and include 4x door painting + gate painting.

He said he will bring the paint up and put in my house b4 he start painting, ask me not to worry he wun cheat one :lol:

i find the quotation very attractive as the cheapest i can find outside is 1.2k for painting all the above. normal ID will charge 1.3-1.4k

What u guys think i should do to make sure i get the real deal? any comments? :notti:

Thinking of Diy painting my whole house too.. need some advice:

1) What is the main difference between oil based and water based sealer? Not sure which one to use?

2) And do I need to mix my paint with water before painting? Or can just paint straight from the tin?

Thks!

So for a 5 room flat:

1 tin if sealer approx 20l enuff? how much is the cost?

3 tin of paint for 3 bedroom each tine ~ $38? so 3x38=$114

2 tins for living and dining so $76?

and plus all celings including 3x bedrooms, living, dining, toilet kitchen, storeroom ? 3 tins enuff?

is engaging ICI/Nippon direct cheaper than those ID? is there any quality assurance from direct?

Price is about the same (or slightly more expensive) but they will not "jiak" your paint.