Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whoelse

Diy Painting Whole House - How Much Cost Saving?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
a bit tough leh, no pick up but only got 2 proton from my mum....can squeeze inside?

Should be able to fit into the back seat of a normal sedan. I estimate the diameter of the roll is around 20inches and height maybe around 45 inches.

previously diy e painting for my 3rm flat, sand lightly on the newly plastered wall, applied a layer of Sealant on the newly plastered walls, painted with 2 to 3 layers, terrible!:( almost died of fatigue, don think i will ever wanna diy to save the few hundred dollars next time. 8|

$80-100 so cheap? my contractor charge me $150, but that includes the labour for sealing up the whole floor lah

Those contractor hardware shops at Geylang sell the roll for about 80-100 depending on how much things you get from them and your bargaining... maybe if you drive a pickup and look more beng they'll give it to you cheaper ;)

I meant do chemical wash on the floor lah, or shall I wait til painting finished then ask him to do? shall I put cardboard during painting? my skirting are not up yet, after laminate flooring then up together with the laminate skirting.

Its easier with cardboard flooring - you won't have to "hold back" when doing the painting with the flooring well protected. Usually there's some fine spray droplets when you use the roller on the walls.

One full roll cost 80-100 bucks and enough to cover the whole house.

I am not too sure of the status of your flooring - it can be quite difficult and tedious to scrap paint droplets off the floor so if the flooring is already done then it may be worth putting some protection on it before you start painting. Otherwise if its cement screeding and you're going to parquet it, then no need protection and just whack lar.

Suggest that you chemical wash after all the dirty stuff is done.

Simi chemical wash? Those are for floors (or tiled walls), not bare walls.

I meant do chemical wash on the floor lah, or shall I wait til painting finished then ask him to do? shall I put cardboard during painting? my skirting are not up yet, after laminate flooring then up together with the laminate skirting.

Something is troubling me and I am not sure what to do. My contractor's proposed handover date is this coming friday but there are something which I am not sure if I should accept.

My paint colour is wrong in the sense that it is lighter than what I have chosen. I have selected a ICI customised color paint but when the painter came, they brought the paint in Jotun containers and claimed that they are ICI but just in Jotun container. I am having doubt in them. What should I do? Should I press my contactor for the right colour?

Sigh...

Doesn't make sense, why wasn't the ICI paint in the ICI container but in Jotun container? Were they trying to pull a fast one? You should have taken photos that time and ask for an explanation, if you specifically asked for ICI and a certain color, it should be fulfilled instead of giving you some other brand/color.

wah like that ah, then i need to ask my contractor to do chemical wash first hoh?

Simi chemical wash? Those are for floors (or tiled walls), not bare walls.

wah like that ah, then i need to ask my contractor to do chemical wash first hoh?

luckily no skirting installed, will be using laminate skirting :lol:

kamsia, everybody!

hi all, just wondering how shall I get started if I want to DIY painting a brand new flat?

I noticed the walls has a layer of powder, everytime I touch it, my fingers will gets those white powder.

Do we need to wash the wall first or something like that?

and why do you need to dilute the paint with water? I was told by both Nippon and ICI that we shall not add water to the water base paint, especially the top end one, $60 per 10l can type.

wipe with wet cloth to remove the dust/powder then continue with sealer coat first before you paint with your desired paint

hi all, just wondering how shall I get started if I want to DIY painting a brand new flat?

I noticed the walls has a layer of powder, everytime I touch it, my fingers will gets those white powder.

and why do you need to dilute the paint with water? I was told by both Nippon and ICI that we shall not add water to the water base paint, especially the top end one, $60 per 10l can type.

Those are construction dust. No need to wash - just a wet cloth and go over it if you have the time. Otherwise a duster will do.

For the emulsion paints, please don't dilute with water esp the stronger colors. You will have a tough time getting it to blend evenly and when applied to the walls, will need additional coats just to make it look good. Stick to the original formulation and 2 good coats will probably do the job. If your original paint is not white, then you may need a base sealer coat so that you don't have to do 3-4 coats just to cover the base paint layer.