Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
whoelse

Diy Painting Whole House - How Much Cost Saving?

No real difference between Nippon or ICI.

There are some grades which gives a slight sheen finish (I thought it looked rather nice), like Nippon's Vinyl Silk so you might want to consider that if you have a lot of downlights along the wall although its a little more expensive.

Usually full glossy paint like Nippon Bodelac are not used for walls, they are more for wooden or metal surfaces like door frames, doors, metal gates etc.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Almost all of the time, the paint in the catalog is different when painted on the wall. On top of that, different lighting plays a part too in creating the effect.

My parent's house was in those light blue and it was bluer than on the catalog. Even if you bought the paint yourself, the end-results will be the same.

My id also advised me on that when I choose misty from ICI, he says will be greyer than on the catalog. Maybe will add white paint to soften it :sport-smiley-004:

Hi sumobear,

Sometimes the paint on the catalogue and the final result on the wall can be rather different.

I had the experience when I picked this colour called "Carnation White" from Nippon for two of my bedrooms - looks whitish with a tinge of pink on the catalogue but turned out a lot more pinkish when painted on the walls :dunno:

Did you use a colour consultant? Personally I have not tried them but maybe they can give a better picture -those who tried colour consultants can feedback on the results.

Something is troubling me and I am not sure what to do. My contractor's proposed handover date is this coming friday but there are something which I am not sure if I should accept.

My paint colour is wrong in the sense that it is lighter than what I have chosen. I have selected a ICI customised color paint but when the painter came, they brought the paint in Jotun containers and claimed that they are ICI but just in Jotun container. I am having doubt in them. What should I do? Should I press my contactor for the right colour?

Sigh...

yeah man agree totally ...**** siong ! hehe

anyway i used water based sealer on my gypsum partition and after 3 coats of actual paint, i still cant seem to cover the 2 tone colour due to the plastering part. Haiz...shd have tried oil based one ...

I used the paint quite generously for my last coat. Made sure that the roller are thick with the paint before slapping it on and didn't try to spread over too large a surface area. However, do need to roll it around a bit to ensure that the paint is even. I also did not dilute my actual paint - used it off the can after proper stirring and worked out well.

yeah man agree totally ...**** siong ! hehe

anyway i used water based sealer on my gypsum partition and after 3 coats of actual paint, i still cant seem to cover the 2 tone colour due to the plastering part. Haiz...shd have tried oil based one ...

Well, oil based sealer can be diluted with tupertine as well - only thing is that it is a lot more work to clean off... Use only if your things and floorings are well protected or covered. I used oil-based sealer for my walls (gypsum board soundproofing with plastered joints) and quite satisfied with the result.

But do agree that the whole job can be quite siong, even with those long poles where you mount the roller at the end of it...

just painted the ceiling of my hse ...it i sreally wise to paint at least a coat of water based sealer to it before applying 2 coats of actual paint to it.a lot easier and not so xiong since the ceiling is the hardest to paint!hehe

reason for water based sealer is because u can still dilute it with a little water for ease of painting ...same goes for the actual paint ..mix with a little water and u will have a little more strength to lift ur dinner plate tat nite ...hehe

Hi, I am consider engaging ICI painting package for 5-rm at $1400 (5 color). If I would to paint myself with the same amount of work regardless of how good the paint result, what will be the labour cost saving I will save out of the $1400 roughly?

I painted one room myself - 1 can of 5L is more than enough to give 3 coats. Room size is 3.75m x 3.75m.

Paint is Nippon Vinilex (cheapest brand in Nippon's range)- $36 per can. Highest end like Nippon Odourless will cost upwards of $60 per can. Depending on number of colours, you will probably spend ~200-250 on paint cost for the whole house and another $50 on accessories like roller, brush, container etc. So savings is approx 1k. But its very back-breaking especially if you are painting ceilings as well and you want to do 3-4 coats.

My advice would be for you to paint an undercoat / sealer before the real paint - that way 2 good coats of the actual paint will do - so in total 3 coats. And its better that all coats are allowed to more or less dry out before the next coat goes on.

Do you currently have furniture in the house? If you do, then its slightly more difficult...

Sammie

7L of paint for one bedroom? Including ceiling?

remember to work in the requirements for painting your ceiling, gate, pipes and doors too. my husband and i DIY our 4rm painting and the total amount spent was less than $300, everything inclusive. we took 1 week leave and finished the paint job within the week. :yamseng:

it is very tiring, but satisfying at the same time.

Hi, I am consider engaging ICI painting package for 5-rm at $1400 (5 color). If I would to paint myself with the same amount of work regardless of how good the paint result, what will be the labour cost saving I will save out of the $1400 roughly?

im using nippon super vinlix 5000 paint. 7can of 5L to paint my EA unit (130sqm)

each can $34, total oni $238

lighter colour i oni paint 2coating, darker colour will need at least 3-4 coating.

was quote by id $1600 for whole unit :P

3wks le, still haven finish painting. left few walls n toilet celing to go, but paint still have more den enuff :yamseng:

20L white paint to whitewash the whole house (min 2 coats of paint) - $52

1 bedroom approximately requires 7L ( 5L X 2 ) - 50ish

Kitchen - 5L

Dining & Balcony - 5L

Yard - 5L

We bought some paints from the DIY shop @ Ikea and we were given discount. The rest from NGH which also gave further discount. Total spent inclusive of the painting tools was approximately 380ish.

think depends on how many coats you are looking at and at what price you can get the paint...

$1400 is expensive for 5-rm, barang barang is offering $1350 for EA but for a limited period only...

depending on the quality of the paint also and the amt of coats needed.. (min 2 coats)

as a guide, 1 bedroom need 1x5l for 2 coats

living -2-3 5l cans

each 5L can is $50

so total cost including equipment will be around 500-600...

think depends on how many coats you are looking at and at what price you can get the paint...

$1400 is expensive for 5-rm, barang barang is offering $1350 for EA but for a limited period only...