Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuchuliao

DIY Renovation

I am wondering if any home owners here has been their own project coordinator.
Though I would love to be my own builder, I can't possibly DIY from scratch as it is too time consuming and HDB does have rules and regulation on these and that. Now, i am doing my homework on what I need. It will be great help if anyone has some good trips or experiences to share.

Edited by wuchuliao

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm actually a facilities manager by trade and am planning on DIY-ing my new flat. DIY in a sense to get my own contractors to help with the various works.

The problem is with the hacking, you'll still need to apply for a HDB hacking permit. Then there's haulage and refuge because you can't just chuck the debris anywhere.

Other than that, doing your own electrical, masonry, carpentry works shouldn't be an issue.

Lastly is the timing, it will be very tempting to just complete a certain task, but you'll have to remember to stop the noisy wet/hot works by 6 pm, if not your neighbours will complain and you'll get into trouble with HDB.

Instead of DIY, are you really referring to project managing the different parties who will be working on your flat? I just completed mine - it was very tiring but you gain satisfaction from the fact that you know almost every detail of what went into your house, not to also mention the monetary savings. To start off, you need to have a clear idea of what you want to achieve in your flat and then source for different parties to work on it. For example, getting reno permit with proposed hacking, engaging hackers to remove old built-ins/tiles/etc, mason, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, ceiling, painter.