Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
mint

Hdb (not) Rectifying Defects For New Flats?

Recently I have selected a new HDB flat through the recent WIS, and got my keys. U know we are supposed to check for defects and report them to HDB.

I have reported a series of defects :-

Hollow Tiles & Wall cracks

Dirty windows, with rusty knobs

Knobs and magnetic catch of doors are rusty, with scratches

Toilet bowl full of dirt and the sticky residues left over by masking tapes cannot be removed at all no matter no much I scratch it.

When I reported this to HDB, my officer said they can only replace the tiles, and touch up the cracks.

All the rest such as badly scratched knobs, rusty magnetic catchs, dirty toilet bowls with sticky residues - I need to get contractor to wash for me. HDB will do anything for me. As for rusty magnetic catch, and knobs, they will no choice, I just got to live with it.

Really not sure how this works. Is this the case? Or is my HDB officer plain lazy or finding excuses? !! Pleaseeee help!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Recently I have selected a new HDB flat through the recent WIS, and got my keys. U know we are supposed to check for defects and report them to HDB.

I have reported a series of defects :-

Hollow Tiles & Wall cracks

Dirty windows, with rusty knobs

Knobs and magnetic catch of doors are rusty, with scratches

Toilet bowl full of dirt and the sticky residues left over by masking tapes cannot be removed at all no matter no much I scratch it.

When I reported this to HDB, my officer said they can only replace the tiles, and touch up the cracks.

All the rest such as badly scratched knobs, rusty magnetic catchs, dirty toilet bowls with sticky residues - I need to get contractor to wash for me. HDB will do anything for me. As for rusty magnetic catch, and knobs, they will no choice, I just got to live with it.

Really not sure how this works. Is this the case? Or is my HDB officer plain lazy or finding excuses? !! Pleaseeee help!

My flat is always a WIS flat (RP).

For my case, HDB replace all my hollow tiles for me.

My toilet bowl was always change before i got the key as some part is very dirty

The TO also said that he will change all the rusty window rivel, door stopper, and oxidise tap and shower set for me after i complete my reno..

So HDB shld change all defects that u had list.

U must insist that they change, ask them if they provide this kind of fitting to new owner or not.

yes yes they will change everything for you

it's a brand NEW flat, everything should be NEW

good luck in negotiating with your TO

must die die insist that the flat be in NEW condition

What about those flats that are already 5yrs old but still new as nobody stayed there like WIS. Can we still demand to change everything, what if they insist not to change. How should I tackle this problem?

What about those flats that are already 5yrs old but still new as nobody stayed there like WIS. Can we still demand to change everything, what if they insist not to change. How should I tackle this problem?

Mine flat is also vacant for 3 years before i brought it. The TO at first told me that the flat will be as a 'as it' condition, meaning what i see is what i get.

I told him i got the new flat from HDB and the things i shld be getting shld be defect free

In the end he give me and told me he will change everything for me

My unit was >5yrs old. I had 84 defects in total, including rusty SCV points, bomb shelter rubber lining flakey, rusty door knobs, hollow tiles, cracks, toilet leaks etc. all were replaced.

Talk to ur TO. If not, talk to the STO. One word of advise, write in, make it black and white. U bought a unit that has defects and u end up paying conservancy fees for an unit tat u hv not even stayed in.

gd luck

my flat is also 5yrs plus, they also changing everything for me

as mine is a premium flat, they are changing the faded tiles too

dun worry, just put everything down in the defect list they provided and submit

my flat is also 5yrs plus, they also changing everything for me

as mine is a premium flat, they are changing the faded tiles too

dun worry, just put everything down in the defect list they provided and submit

i agreed with applefreak, i bought a unit on her opp. block. also lots of defects and my TO got plumber to change all the rusty taps and cleaned off the badly stained WCs. contractors to replace cracked tiles in my common toilet (more than 30pcs) and chipped floor tiles my living room. in fact, my whole unit's floor tiles (except kitchen, service yard, toilets and HHS) has been replaced with new ones b4 i collected my keys from HDB.

oni the SCV pt not changed even if it's rusty coz TO said it's not spoilt.

i agreed with applefreak, i bought a unit on her opp. block. also lots of defects and my TO got plumber to change all the rusty taps and cleaned off the badly stained WCs. contractors to replace cracked tiles in my common toilet (more than 30pcs) and chipped floor tiles my living room. in fact, my whole unit's floor tiles (except kitchen, service yard, toilets and HHS) has been replaced with new ones b4 i collected my keys from HDB.

oni the SCV pt not changed even if it's rusty coz TO said it's not spoilt.

bluberi, mine rusty and was changed! mus change. else if cable really comes in, maybe cannot connet

i think it really depends on the officer who assist u. Mine is also a WIS, 5 yrs vacant. when we got the flat, also alot of defects. But the officer really nice, help us change alot of the things. While renovating, we realised there are still quite a number of things need to rectify, we just call him without even need to go to HDB, and he jus arranged and asked the contractors to do up for us.

Hi!

Does any one know if I had purchased a flat from HDB that is like 30 yr old, RP, can I still request HDB to rectify defects? I mean... it is definitely not in 'original, move-in' condition any more =P

Hi!

Does any one know if I had purchased a flat from HDB that is like 30 yr old, RP, can I still request HDB to rectify defects? I mean... it is definitely not in 'original, move-in' condition any more =P

Its possible cos I also purchased a 30 yr old RP flat... In fact I will be going to inspect the rectifications tomorrow (after much chasing) ... I had "defects" such as rusted pipes, gate cant be closed properly, all windows cannot close properly, paint stains on the floor etc ... However, we didn't bother to check for hollow tiles or stuff like that since so old liao and anyway we are going to hack it away..

I went to check the external, the gate was changed for a newer one, the windows seemed to be able to close properly... Not sure abt the inside.. worried they just apply new coat of paint to cover up the rust of the pipes.. Anyway, anything that is a result of the construction process last time, eg. brick outlines of walls all cannot rectify... Not considered defects

Hope this helps :D

Please check carefully and make sure HDB has rectified the defects for your flat. Let me share my experience with you and learn from it.

We bought a new flat left over for one year, it was one of the replacement flat from SERS. Just one round around the house and you can find a lot of defects. Storeroom's door has problem closing fully, rusty taps, cement in the toilet bowls, very loose window handles....... the list goes on. The most ridiculours is they used the toilets' door as my masterbed room's door. We tried to do whatever we can by ourselves and shorten the list to only 5, keys handed over for about 1 month but no news and can't reach the officer even though we left him at least 3 voice mails a day. 1.5 mths later, I finally got him and was told I can collect my keys. Happily we took a leave and travel from the other far corner of the island to pick up the keys and went to check our house, but to my disappointement NONE of the defects had been rectified...... and the officer insisted they were done.

I can't be that colour-blind for unable to see there's no difference between the master bedroom and toilet's door since they're right next to each other, thus I called the officer to visit my house and see it himself. At first he told us they look different until I told him even the old lady staying on the same floor can see the same colour from just a sight. In the end he suggested to teach us how to get the defects rectify ourselves else the contractors will take long to get them done again and it will definitely badly affect our renovation.

Sillily I believed his words, but before we selected a renovator. my in-laws invited us to stay in their newly bought landed property and my too use to stay in big house husband immediately agreed to it. After a year which is last year, we felt the expensive small flat should not be left empty for too long so we decided to get the house renovated and looking forward to celebrate our new year there. Unfortunately the painter told us the base colour on my master room is so different from its original colour, most probably they'll have problem turning it to the same colour as it supposed to be, true enough it can't be done....... not to mention none of the methods the officer taught us to rectify the defects can be used. What is a a substituition bomb shelter when our storeroom's door can never be closed? Even my contractor thinks the dried cement in the toilet bowls look yucky.......

Knowing that we've far passed the given grace period for rectifying defects, hence not putting much hope, I called the officer again to tell him what he taught us with full confident is unworkable hoping he can try giving us some helps since it was him who made us to believe it's best to settle the defects ourselves and like he said "sure no problem", guess what he told us this time? Put aside the overdue timing, he wanted us to understand HDB wants to keep their cost to the lowest, they've to pay the contractors for each rectifying job and the officers have been told to keep the cost low by not to give too much jobs to the contractors...... he just sounded like he hopes to work in peace until he retires (he's in his 50s). Argue with him for 30 mins but up to no avail....... overall I can only remember he said it's our fault for not renovate our new house right after getting it, so that we'll realise his solutions are not workable and at least we could make it within the time given. And, it's naturally for the taps to turn rusty, just try some stronger polish chemical but most house owners will change new ones so save the trouble. Why must we renovate and stay in another house leaving a newly renovated one empty to collect dust? And, we pay for everything in the flat, not as if the taps are given to house owners for free right?

When I mentioned the first batch of residents there told us some of the defects we have are same as theirs last time, obviously these are common defects in this estate...... he insisted "WHO TOLD YOU THAT? IT'S RUBBISH!:dancingqueen:" 8|

Edited by L.er

Hi White Affair,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I just called HDB and asked about it, they told me I must have told the officer during the inspection! But.. we didn't know that we got to check for defects, we thought the viewing is just to let us see the place X_X

Seems like abit too late, since we are going to get the keys this Sat >< The officer did mention that once get keys = case close, since no one year 'guarentee' for RP old flats...

BTW, the HDB website actually states "Upon collection of keys, flat owners should inspect their new flat and report any defects found in the flat within seven days upon receipt of the keys or before commencement of any renovation works." thus we thought must get keys then can report lolzz, sotong first timers =P

Cheers~

Its possible cos I also purchased a 30 yr old RP flat... In fact I will be going to inspect the rectifications tomorrow (after much chasing) ... I had "defects" such as rusted pipes, gate cant be closed properly, all windows cannot close properly, paint stains on the floor etc ... However, we didn't bother to check for hollow tiles or stuff like that since so old liao and anyway we are going to hack it away..

I went to check the external, the gate was changed for a newer one, the windows seemed to be able to close properly... Not sure abt the inside.. worried they just apply new coat of paint to cover up the rust of the pipes.. Anyway, anything that is a result of the construction process last time, eg. brick outlines of walls all cannot rectify... Not considered defects

Hope this helps :dancingqueen:

Hi White Affair,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, I just called HDB and asked about it, they told me I must have told the officer during the inspection! But.. we didn't know that we got to check for defects, we thought the viewing is just to let us see the place X_X

Seems like abit too late, since we are going to get the keys this Sat >< The officer did mention that once get keys = case close, since no one year 'guarentee' for RP old flats...

BTW, the HDB website actually states "Upon collection of keys, flat owners should inspect their new flat and report any defects found in the flat within seven days upon receipt of the keys or before commencement of any renovation works." thus we thought must get keys then can report lolzz, sotong first timers =P

Cheers~

Well, that seems quite ridiculous.. They never informed us that we had to raise the defects once inspected. In fact, cos we kiasu so we call the HDB officer to complain after that and she told us to email the list to her... No trying to twist and turn to get out of rectifying it for us... So I think you can try..

We raised a point that although its an old flat, we purchased it direct from HDB, therefore its their responsibility to ensure that the condition is good. So don't let them off so easily..