Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
andrew

How To Prevent Algae In Ponds ?

I've a fish pond, small decorative kind. However, I noticed that algae grow at an astonishing rate.

Is there anyway to prevent the growth of algae without using any filtration system ? Since the pond is small, a filtration pump/system will actually be bigger than the pond :-(

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Algae is directly related to amt of sunlight. By cutting down on sunlight, the algae will die off naturally. Alternatively, is the use of UV filter. Most of the fish breeders in Sg use UV filter tubes.. cost ard $50 to $100 each for ponds. Some use up to 5 filter tubes for car size ponds!

Algae is directly related to amt of sunlight. By cutting down on sunlight, the algae will die off naturally. Alternatively, is the use of UV filter. Most of the fish breeders in Sg use UV filter tubes.. cost ard $50 to $100 each for ponds. Some use up to 5 filter tubes for car size ponds!

Just curious, UV filter tube are those that's waterproof in the water ?

My case, the pond is in the balcony and get tons of sunlight !

It looks like this..

http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page_323_4...clarifiers.html

A out of water tube with a UV light tube in the middle. Water enters the tube.. get's UVed.. and comes out other side of tube. Bigger ponds connect in many tubes in series. Qianhu fish farm kampong fishing area got a big setup there. Rainbow aquarium also got sell.

Wow ! Impressive ! Will check out the shops !

It looks like this..

http://www.pondbiz.com/home/pb1/page_323_4...clarifiers.html

A out of water tube with a UV light tube in the middle. Water enters the tube.. get's UVed.. and comes out other side of tube. Bigger ponds connect in many tubes in series. Qianhu fish farm kampong fishing area got a big setup there. Rainbow aquarium also got sell.

Wow ! Impressive ! Will check out the shops !

aiya.. u dont even have filtration, so wont setup uv lights as well.... add water weeds such as water hycinth or lettuce it will reduce the sun and also nutrients produced by the fishes (just guessing u have fishes, unless u r trying to breed mosquitos) :wacko:

Got gold fish (previous was koi, but died as I add timer to the pump :wacko:!:huh:) and water lettuce.. but the fishes seems to like eating them !

Edited by andrew

Got gold fish (previous was koi, but died as I add timer to the pump :wacko:!:huh:) and water lettuce.. but the fishes seems to like eating them !

You can actually rear pleco or cory in your pond to eat the algae. Cory is very cute but very sensitive to water condition. Pleco is good algae eater but look super ugly to me esp when they can grow to very big size.

If your pond is only for decoration purpose without any fishes in it, then you can try including chorine into the water cos chlorine can kill algae.

Fishes, plants or snails can never helps prevent algae from growing.

If you do not keep any living things inside, go for chlorine block. One piece can last you for months without algae.

Hi. I have understand your question. But i want to tell you that algae is a very annoying problem and if you don't want to use filter then you have very few chose left for effective results. One of it is have some fishes who can eat algae.