Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
MJ Yeong

Full reno of resale 4A flat

Hello all,

First time posting and would like to share our journey on renovating a 4A resale flat from start, this is still an ongoing project and your contributions do matter!

We have decided not to engage an ID firm as my missus herself already know what design/color/idea our flat is supposed to be. We will be engaging direct contractor for each leg of the construction. 

The flat: 4A flat, 105 SqM, squarish layout.

We are going to hack a wall, combining 2 rooms into 1. Cement wash vinyl flooring, re-do all electrical points and wires, new A/C, new kitchen & bedroom carpentry, french door, barn door. The whole flat be very industrialized feel.

Our carpentry will be a mix of custom and Ikea to lower cost, custom carpentry will be for bedroom and kitchen while shoe cabinets will be purchased from Ikea.

Our process:

hacking of wall > flooring & ceiling > electrical points > painting > air con > custom carpentry > Ikea carpentry > touch up paint > furnishing/furniture

Currently we are on the lookout for quotation for hacking of the wall and painting of the whole flat.We would appreciate if there are any recommendation from flat owners. 

We are not in any rush so this is more like our project home and further more we don't want to rush anything.

Thanks in advance and I'll keep updating our progress!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

welcome!

perhaps you can share your floor plan and what is the proposed plan?
any 3D? Mood Board or inspiration?

Your contractor will do everything or you engaging one contractor for one thing?
it's gonna get messy and every contractor's quality/finishing is different.

better to stick to one, from my experience..

On 2/10/2018 at 1:20 PM, MJ Yeong said:

We are not in any rush so this is more like our project home and further more we don't want to rush anything.

Great! It's really the best way to coordinate and project manage your own renovation if time is not a concern, especially when you know your design. 

Sometimes main-con will also just accommodate to the sub-con schedule hence the work floor can be pretty messy. If you can do stuff one at a time with ample buffer, the result could turn out pretty well! I mean, who would care more for the house than we owners?

But I realized you did not have plumbing in your work packages, was that not necessary? 

I do know Mr. Sim has good reputation for electrical work so you might want to put him in your shortlist. For other contract works I remembered seeing someone from this forum giving good advises. Will let you know if I recall.

Edited by Ando Tadao

On 2/13/2018 at 6:09 PM, Clarence Lye said:

welcome!

perhaps you can share your floor plan and what is the proposed plan?
any 3D? Mood Board or inspiration?

Your contractor will do everything or you engaging one contractor for one thing?
it's gonna get messy and every contractor's quality/finishing is different.

better to stick to one, from my experience..

Will post the current one and proposed plan up by tomorrow!

We will most likely get 2 contractors for this project, one for all the wet works and GC plus flooring, plumbing etc, the second one will come in and do up the fixtures and fittings like carpentry and lights. I'm breaking it down into structural/foundation and everything else. 

I understand from what you mean by it's going to get messy if I hire one guy for one job! 

On 2/13/2018 at 6:34 PM, Ando Tadao said:

Great! It's really the best way to coordinate and project manage your own renovation if time is not a concern, especially when you know your design. 

Sometimes main-con will also just accommodate to the sub-con schedule hence the work floor can be pretty messy. If you can do stuff one at a time with ample buffer, the result could turn out pretty well! I mean, who would care more for the house than we owners?

But I realized you did not have plumbing in your work packages, was that not necessary? 

I do know Mr. Sim has good reputation for electrical work so you might want to put him in your shortlist. For other contract works I remembered seeing someone from this forum giving good advises. Will let you know if I recall.

Hello!

Yes, time is not a concern as we still got places to stay. I believe in getting the right person for the job instead of leaving it in the hands of others cause I've had experiences with ID when my mom did her place, making promises on designs, materials and stuff and not producing the results that we wanted. 

And since this is my home, I'll rather my partner do the design and I'll find the right guy for it.

We've agreed to hold to all quotations till we complete the takeover then hold an open house for the contractors to come, measure, and quote us.

I've seen a few peeps here reviewing some contractors/ID, feels like wild wild west in the reno world! 

On 2/15/2018 at 10:06 AM, MJ Yeong said:

Hello!

Yes, time is not a concern as we still got places to stay. I believe in getting the right person for the job instead of leaving it in the hands of others cause I've had experiences with ID when my mom did her place, making promises on designs, materials and stuff and not producing the results that we wanted. 

And since this is my home, I'll rather my partner do the design and I'll find the right guy for it.

We've agreed to hold to all quotations till we complete the takeover then hold an open house for the contractors to come, measure, and quote us.

I've seen a few peeps here reviewing some contractors/ID, feels like wild wild west in the reno world! 

Hi Just to check how is your progress and can I get contacts for the different contractors as well?