Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
panpan

How To Draft An Agreement With Id?

Hi Bros & Sis,

any advice on how to draft an agreement with the ID without been "makan" by them during the reno or perhaps at the end of reno when they tell u that u have to pay this or that to get the job done? Should i restrict them on time frame? If reno completed, found some flaws & ID dont want to take the blame, how can we settle? Thanks for all the kind comments. :dancingqueen:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi Bros & Sis,

any advice on how to draft an agreement with the ID without been "makan" by them during the reno or perhaps at the end of reno when they tell u that u have to pay this or that to get the job done? Should i restrict them on time frame? If reno completed, found some flaws & ID dont want to take the blame, how can we settle? Thanks for all the kind comments. :dancingqueen:

Always ask if theres any hidden cost.

It is up to each ID if they want to take the blame.

IDs who are sincere and honest will help u cover the flaws but if u sign with ID who does not give a **** cause u have sign with him already (all the nice talk at the start is to get you to sign) then try talking to the company.

Some flaws are cause by the lousy workmanship; workers which are sometime out of the ID control even when the ID clearly told the workers to be careful or do a good job etc.

But owners pls do remember that even a good sincere, helpful and honest ID will be turn off by a picky, fussy owner.

Regards

NewbieID

Always ask if theres any hidden cost.

It is up to each ID if they want to take the blame.

IDs who are sincere and honest will help u cover the flaws but if u sign with ID who does not give a **** cause u have sign with him already (all the nice talk at the start is to get you to sign) then try talking to the company.

Some flaws are cause by the lousy workmanship; workers which are sometime out of the ID control even when the ID clearly told the workers to be careful or do a good job etc.

But owners pls do remember that even a good sincere, helpful and honest ID will be turn off by a picky, fussy owner.

Regards

NewbieID

I think IDs often use the excuse that "acceptability is subjective" to push away responsibilities. Same went for my ID. They kept telling me that 80% of the population would have considered it acceptable.

But who's going to prove it? As long as I'm concerned, I'm paying for the work to be done the way I want it and if the work is not done, then its the ID/worker's fault.

And if you go to SCT, the registrar is also going to tell you that acceptability is subjective so even if you go to SCT to try and settle something like this, its difficult.

So what exactly is the definition of a "picky, fussy owner"?? If you're talking about the extreme, very obvious kind, I think we all understand. But what about those that are not so obvious? The ID will still come and tell you that you are fussy and picky and refuse to rectify the work. No offence.

I feel that its best to read through properly the contract and terms and conditions and ask the ID to explain explicitly what each term and condition refer to. Its best to be able to have that in black and white as well. If anything you do not understand, please double check.

DO NOT allow the ID to tell you that items can always be added into the Variable Orders later. Because please remember that the payment terms only apply to the main contract, NOT the variation orders. Often you need to pay off the variation orders all at once. Therefore, the lesser in the variation order the better.

Its never possible to cover yourself 100% against potential dishonest IDs.... but being careful helps to reduce the possibility. Make it clear right from the start what is your expected standard of workmanship and if they cannot achieve it, then please look for another ID. And of course sometimes good workmanship will come with a higher price but I'm quite sure a peace of mind is well worth the price.

Hope your reno goes well. :P

Hi Bros & Sis,

any advice on how to draft an agreement with the ID without been "makan" by them during the reno or perhaps at the end of reno when they tell u that u have to pay this or that to get the job done? Should i restrict them on time frame? If reno completed, found some flaws & ID dont want to take the blame, how can we settle? Thanks for all the kind comments. :furious:

Most Impt is to find a more responsible and honest ID than draft an agreement.

No point going thru the hassel to argue with them, as some of them are veri gd at covering up their backside :)