Jump to content
Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Recommended Posts

There are 2 types of sounds that travel/transmit furthest within a household, water slushing and metal clinking. I am not sure if the placement of your sink and stove is the best idea.

Edited by Ando Tadao
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
2 minutes ago, Ando Tadao said:

There are 2 types of sounds that travel/transmit furthest within a household, water slushing and metal clinking. I am not sure if the position of your sink and stove is thr best idea.

Hi Ando Tadao,

such a conincidence. I just saw your comment after I posted an update (pending admin approval).

I didn't thought about the sound part. I understand the water slushing part. I don't get the metal clinking part though. Can elaborate?

 

Let me/my hb think about it again, my stove have to be as far away from the MBR as possible (fengshui master's advice) so not alot of options for us.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, MsChocobanana said:

Hi Ando Tadao,

such a conincidence. I just saw your comment after I posted an update (pending admin approval).

I didn't thought about the sound part. I understand the water slushing part. I don't get the metal clinking part though. Can elaborate?

 

Let me/my hb think about it again, my stove have to be as far away from the MBR as possible (fengshui master's advice) so not alot of options for us.  

Metal clinking was referring to the sound generated while cooking, it can be pretty annoying especially when it's facing the back of your husband during his "work" time. Noise from the back is far more annoying psychologically. Maybe if you can change the position of the work desk to the side instead of facing out then the annoyance could be reduced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi mschocobanana, interesting reno u r undergoing. Looks to me u will face probs in future with your masterbedroom bed placement esp if u guys r light sleepers. 

My suggestion is..... why not simplify thgs abit. 

1) hack away store wall at bedroom 3 and connect wc1 to bedroom 3. Turning bedroom 3 into a masterbedroom. U guys will enjoy more peace n quiet there n wont be at the mercy of your upstairs neighbours. Current king bedhead position against kitchen wall might lead to lots of slp disturbances at night.

2) bedroom 2 can be your kids room

3) turn current main bedroom into craftroom n maid's room. Since craftroom is only used in the day. Maid can use it for slpg at night.

4) turn the space u intended for craftroom into hb's work space. Hb will probably get better inspiration n come out with better design ideas with a work space with a view rather than facing a wall in a corner in the kitchen near the common toilet entrance. Besides while hb is working...if the maid wanna do a number 2 will be quite embarrasing for her, not to mention the smell hb hav to put up with.

5) turn the space in the kitchen intended for hb's work space into a store. Since that area is so near the toilet entrance its not suitable for cooking n food preparation frm feng shui stand point

When your kids r grown n need their own rooms, maid can take over hb's work space n each kid can hav their own decent sized room.

Just my 2 cents. If my suggestions make an aldy complicated reno more complicated for u guys, i apologise.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fingerscross said:

Hi mschocobanana, interesting reno u r undergoing. Looks to me u will face probs in future with your masterbedroom bed placement esp if u guys r light sleepers. 

My suggestion is..... why not simplify thgs abit. 

1) hack away store wall at bedroom 3 and connect wc1 to bedroom 3. Turning bedroom 3 into a masterbedroom. U guys will enjoy more peace n quiet there n wont be at the mercy of your upstairs neighbours. Current king bedhead position against kitchen wall might lead to lots of slp disturbances at night.

2) bedroom 2 can be your kids room

3) turn current main bedroom into craftroom n maid's room. Since craftroom is only used in the day. Maid can use it for slpg at night.

4) turn the space u intended for craftroom into hb's work space. Hb will probably get better inspiration n come out with better design ideas with a work space with a view rather than facing a wall in a corner in the kitchen near the common toilet entrance. Besides while hb is working...if the maid wanna do a number 2 will be quite embarrasing for her, not to mention the smell hb hav to put up with.

5) turn the space in the kitchen intended for hb's work space into a store. Since that area is so near the toilet entrance its not suitable for cooking n food preparation frm feng shui stand point

When your kids r grown n need their own rooms, maid can take over hb's work space n each kid can hav their own decent sized room.

Just my 2 cents. If my suggestions make an aldy complicated reno more complicated for u guys, i apologise.

LOLLLL at last sentence of point 4!!! Hahahhaha..!! 

No don’t apologise. I’m very thankful that you dropped by and actually thought through my floorplan. Ur suggestions made a lot of sense! 

For points 1 and 2:  We did consider that but we consider the bedroom beside the corridor as the least favourite room. Thus; we try not to use that as our bedroom or kids room. The options for us is then helpers room/hubbby office. 

For point 3: we prefer helper to have her own space and privacy and also becos sometimes I stay up at night to work. Hence cannot share room. 

We consider craftroom as the best room in the house due to the amt of light we can get. 

For point 4: hubby’s work requires tool that are not kids friendly. Thus it’s my idea that We hide his work somewhere that the kids won’t see. *snigger abt the helper and her no 2* . Let’s just hope he is not working when she ever has LS-type of tummy ache. 

For point 5: when kids has grown and need their room, we probably won’t need a helper, and one can take the craft room, while craft room can shift to helper’s room.

*hubby will have his office space in the near future and we can convert that to a store. 

Actually I have myself to blame for all these requirements and then the FS master gave more restriction. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Ando Tadao! 

Gd idea. My hb is not really affected by noise evidently from his lack of response when I speak to him. Lucky his work desk is not going to be fixed so can still shift around according to his preferenc.

 

On 7/19/2018 at 1:59 PM, Ando Tadao said:

Metal clinking was referring to the sound generated while cooking, it can be pretty annoying especially when it's facing the back of your husband during his "work" time. Noise from the back is far more annoying psychologically. Maybe if you can change the position of the work desk to the side instead of facing out then the annoyance could be reduced.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reno started today!!

whoopee!!!:lol:

Day 1: Hacking.

696EC84C-6429-499A-8391-765B512506EA.jpeg.bef6299b52da89838be2b5d4718e9d4a.jpeg

The doors and false ceiling gone. 

FDFA6D82-5580-42FD-9A4A-62B12AE3FD9B.jpeg.ca7ecaa94ce4cbc049f65deafcdf8353.jpeg

The master bed room toilet gone! 

CFFBA530-57A2-4AD3-A090-6B873F0D7F92.jpeg.b737d779ee61e168c3da024b8b5ecc23.jpeg

Storeroom gone!

 

866FFBA4-24E8-4FD2-B2D2-34C02BCD79A4.jpeg.7e3824503700888122eb417c88333cde.jpeg

and we are ready for the next phase (which reminds me that I need to check with hb. Luckily he doesn’t come in to renotalk if not I don’t think he wants to come home before I zzz). 

FA8C3AB4-88F3-43E8-AFD9-CDAB7B779E28.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 4: Tiling started!!

We chosen the tiles in this shop with an extensive range.I can’t remember the name of the tile shop but it’s along balestier (the more posh looking tile shop in that stretch). One gd thing abt having a Hb ID is that we can pop by to select tiles as and when we are passing by the area for dinner. 

The selection process was fun as there were so many different colours and shapes (of tiles) to choose from. As much as I like subway tiles/hexagon shaped tiles, we decided to go for a more classic look and headed to the stones (stone-ish looking tiles) section. I really love travertine but it’s such a waste to have it in my tiny home. plus it’s quite expensive and not worth if we are gg to stay here for only 12 plus years. 

In the end, we decided to go for these tiles which I really like. It will be a timeless look, and then price is reasonable as well. 

9A4E7468-52FF-4F67-9660-211AB25C7977.jpeg.a4ef0d710a39ac562a570ee160800c85.jpeg059CDB76-1AC5-4F59-B576-5DA1290CB5F0.jpeg.acad8a8ad700e88513dc271f4f50e6f3.jpegC941D1E2-A441-496D-8BA5-DE8266379432.jpeg.de8a5fd51d8e24c249e12040d019e380.jpeg

The last photo shows the difference in texture. The smoother tile will be for the wall and the one with texture will be for the floor. 

I can’t wait to receive more photos from hb regarding the progress of our house. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×