Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
oryza

4A resale renovation journey

Hi All!

We have bought our house since Oct 2017 and has just started our renovation process. We thought we would be able to get through the process rather quickly but we were so wrong! LOL. So looking for IDs, inspirations well in advance pays off. 

So moving forward, the husband and me did not finalise on what theme we wanted (in fact we had contradictory ideas) and our poor ID had to revise her drawings at least 4x. So he likes wood prints and I hated it. I like light colors while he likes earth colors. 

So the ID wanted us to choose tiles before rendering designs, and we were like: shouldn't you render the designs and we choose similar colored tiles? we had such a difficult period then. 

So here are some of our updates: 

Tiles:

Living: easy, cream colored tiles with little grains

Kitchen: difficult, I wanted dark tiles because I am afraid that the tiles/grouting will turn black after soon. As we do quite some cooking, this was my first concern. However, dark tiles meant my cabinets would have to be of a light color, which i dont like because I think it will be very difficult to maintain/clean. In the end, i went for light wood grain tiles for my kitchen (after some very heated discussions haha) 

Toilets: Most difficult, it was partly my indecisiveness too. So. I ask the ID which type of tiles was easier to maintain, and she told me glossy tiles. Matt/esp textured tiles will be more difficult to maintain as grime and dirt accumulates more easily. glossy tiles=hotel feel , matt tiles = rustic, cosy feel. The husband and me liked both..... HOW?!  In the end (after 2 sets of tiles that we chose went OOS), we settled for matt greys in common toilet and glossy brown and light beige floor tiles in master toilet. I am SO going to regret the beige tiles :(

You wouldnt believe how long it took us to finish this process, at least 2 months since we started viewing tiles?

Kitchen

We finally settled on black cabinets (hence the light wood flooring). 

Kitchen sink we decided on a stainless steel single bowl (60cm). I actually wanted the black stainless steel (i believed it was electroplated?) but the scratches was really obvious, and stone ones was really expensive. Actually the steel sink not cheap leh. 

Tap I took the matt stainless steel models as I believed that the shiny chrome ones would have stains/bubbles/whatever over time. 

Toilet

I configured one of the WC with a manual bidet seat cover (as the electric one was way too expensive!!) We bought the Baron W888, changed one of the seat cover to slim type and one to bidet type. I didnt really like the bidet one as it felt too "rounded" compared to a flat cover. But the husband liked it, so oh wells. I actually prefer the SSC one, but couldnt find any reviews, so decided to just buy everything from Heritage. 

We also bought a top mount basin that was a rounded rectangle. haha if you know what I meant, with a tall tap. 

For the mixer, we bought the hansgrohe one as we were told that its better to get good quality ones. The shower head was some unknown brands that they were having a promo for. Its alright I think. 

Sharrine from Heritage also kindly fix on the shower heads in her office toilets to let us see how the effect would be like. 

We bought a off the shelves vanity cabinet for the common toilet. Do be aware to buy stainless steel models if you do not have shower screen like us. 

Living

We bought a sofa (on impulse) It was a PU leather. Can I ask, is it going to be very warm if we do not turn on the aircon? I was half thinking if real leather would make any actual difference. 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Ikr ! hahaha at first I tot we can like fast fast renovate our house, but I was wrong. Eventho we have engaged with the ID, there are alot of stuff we still need to go thru for the small item in the household. and our choices will also affect our costing and pricing. hahaha been there with you 

Ya! Headaches! 

The next steps is to discuss the electrical works and lighting plan and aircon. 

I'm still half hearted on whether to install ac in the living room as 1) will we hang around living area often? 2) the area is too large, Will ac be effective? 

Lighting wise, I do not plan to install hanging lights at dining area. Will it be too dim? I do not have ceiling lights at all. All I have is cove and down lights.