Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jvaleron1

Wall defects - can it be fixed diy?

Hey Folks,

New to the forum here. I saw this in my resale HDB unit on 3 of the walls here. There are bulges in the wall (Refer pic) at regular intervals.

Does anyone know -

1. What are these defects?

2. How can they be fixed DIY?

Cheers,

IMG_20180414_093009.jpg

IMG_20180414_093003.jpg

IMG_20180414_092954.jpg

Edited by jvaleron1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 4/17/2018 at 12:08 PM, Chubbyfat2 said:

Is that a crack on your wall ? 

It appears to be a bulge that is leading on to a crack. The source of the problem is what I am worried about.

On 4/17/2018 at 8:28 PM, snoozee said:

If you know how to plaster the wall can DIY. But best is get the pros to do it as plastering an entire wall needs skill

Wouldn't plastering seal the bulge inside? I was thinking this portion of the wall needs to be sanded or something before plastering or re-sealing.

I am comfortable doing white cements on the holes created by nails or chip offs on the wall. If it is plastering the entire wall, I may end up hiring the pros. Any idea if the painters will handle this or is it some other contractor who does this kind of work?

It would be interesting if its is stress related but equally likely could be some moisture related defect. Whatever the source, they occur at regular patterns on the wall and are vertically oriented.

Edited by jvaleron1

I think to be safe, you should just hire some neighborhood contractors and let them do the work. Since you don't want to have a second occurrence for this to to happen right ?  

21 hours ago, jvaleron1 said:

Wouldn't plastering seal the bulge inside? I was thinking this portion of the wall needs to be sanded or something before plastering or re-sealing.

I am comfortable doing white cements on the holes created by nails or chip offs on the wall. If it is plastering the entire wall, I may end up hiring the pros. Any idea if the painters will handle this or is it some other contractor who does this kind of work?

It would be interesting if its is stress related but equally likely could be some moisture related defect. Whatever the source, they occur at regular patterns on the wall and are vertically oriented.

the bulge is most likely the columns for the building. if you have your house plan from HDB, you can refer to that to confirm whether they are the columns. for old flats, the concrete blocks for walls sometimes are not aligned to be flush with the columns and beams so you end up having like a 1cm difference between the wall and the columns/beams. so if someone try to fill up the difference just at where the joint is but not plastering the entire wall, it will end up something like what you see now. you can see from the tiles skirting (from 1st photo) that 1cm gap on the wall and almost zero gap on the columns (bulge).

so if you want the wall to look nice, get someone to plaster the entire wall to be flush to the column.

A recent update. I got the HDB to come and inspect it. Their thinking is that the wall is not a main beam so not problematic. This is a wall consisting of several panels. So the bulge so to speak happens between the 2 panel joints. Their suggestion is that I install a carbon mesh between the joints using a contractor to reinforce the joints and then seal it with another layer. The process will involve breaking open the wall to see the defect, perhaps add carbon mesh and then seal it then paint it.  He also told me that its pretty common in older flats but not so in prefab styled ones. He also added that it could be moisture related and that windows need to opened to keep humidity under control.

So, I asked them if any contractor like Nippon paint would do it. Then they told me that you need an approved contractor but didn't know if Nippon paint had capability. So, I will be looking into a quotation soon.

On 5/24/2018 at 8:47 AM, jvaleron1 said:

A recent update. I got the HDB to come and inspect it. Their thinking is that the wall is not a main beam so not problematic. This is a wall consisting of several panels. So the bulge so to speak happens between the 2 panel joints. Their suggestion is that I install a carbon mesh between the joints using a contractor to reinforce the joints and then seal it with another layer. The process will involve breaking open the wall to see the defect, perhaps add carbon mesh and then seal it then paint it.  He also told me that its pretty common in older flats but not so in prefab styled ones. He also added that it could be moisture related and that windows need to opened to keep humidity under control.

So, I asked them if any contractor like Nippon paint would do it. Then they told me that you need an approved contractor but didn't know if Nippon paint had capability. So, I will be looking into a quotation soon.

Never even knew there was such a thing with older flats, good post