Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Goodenf

Single phase to 3 phase electrical wiring

This can be done, but there are many nuances that need to be taken into account. One user wrote to you that you need to check whether the input cable from the commonly available DB unit to your home is single-phase or three-phase. I recommend checking this information to see how much the solution to your problem and the price of solving it depends on it. I had an approximate problem that the SP service was able to solve quickly, but I spent several thousand. For example, I recently installed a voltage stabilizer, as I experienced frequent surges in the power grid, which negatively affect the electrical equipment in the house. I asked a question on the forum and quickly found a https://www.ashleyedisonuk.com/world-voltages/ that installed a voltage stabilizer for me within a few days. I am very glad that in our time you can quickly solve any problem.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, would like to seek advice- has anyone upgraded from single phase to 3 phase? How much is the costs? Thank you. 

13 hours ago, XX33 said:

Hi, would like to seek advice- has anyone upgraded from single phase to 3 phase? How much is the costs? Thank you. 

cost payable to SP is $5300 for 3 phase 63A and $8800 for 3 phase 100A. prices are before GST

On 5/12/2021 at 8:28 AM, snoozee said:

cost payable to SP is $5300 for 3 phase 63A and $8800 for 3 phase 100A. prices are before GST

Thanks Snoozee! My LEW is charging me $30k plus for digging from gate to house and installing new DB inside the house, this is on top of what SP will charge for digging outside my house from drain to main gate which is estimated to be $30k, plus my internal re wiring of whole house electrical points which is another $20k, total around $90k, makes sense? I feel that we are being over charged sum. 

Edited by XX33
Incomplete post

12 hours ago, XX33 said:

Thanks Snoozee! My LEW is charging me $30k plus for digging from gate to house and installing new DB inside the house, this is on top of what SP will charge for digging outside my house from drain to main gate which is estimated to be $30k, plus my internal re wiring of whole house electrical points which is another $20k, total around $90k, makes sense? I feel that we are being over charged sum. 

did you get a quotation from SP? the charges from SP is what i had indicated in my earlier post. nothing close to $30k that you mentioned.

if you feel your LEW is expensive, get quotations from other sources and compare. the LEW cost may differ but there shouldn't be any difference of the cost payable to SP at all. $20k to rewire the whole house seems about there though.

On 5/15/2021 at 10:32 PM, snoozee said:

did you get a quotation from SP? the charges from SP is what i had indicated in my earlier post. nothing close to $30k that you mentioned.

if you feel your LEW is expensive, get quotations from other sources and compare. the LEW cost may differ but there shouldn't be any difference of the cost payable to SP at all. $20k to rewire the whole house seems about there though.

Yes, we got another quote from an LEW, seems more reasonable. Have called SP, they said need to submit before getting quote. They ding dong me to so many different departments but nobody can give me an estimate costs. Not sure whether they really don’t know or pushing the responsibility to some one else. Anyway,  thanks for your advice and response! 

28 minutes ago, XX33 said:

Yes, we got another quote from an LEW, seems more reasonable. Have called SP, they said need to submit before getting quote. They ding dong me to so many different departments but nobody can give me an estimate costs. Not sure whether they really don’t know or pushing the responsibility to some one else. Anyway,  thanks for your advice and response! 

you can check with the LEW on the SP cost as well and see what he says. shouldn't be 30k like what was mentioned by your previous LEW.

most likely SP didn't want to commit in case wrong info given. but landed residential prices are quite standard. very different from industrial where SP charges by per meter run. So to bring in incoming electricity to a site can cost tens of thousands or even more.

1 hour ago, snoozee said:

you can check with the LEW on the SP cost as well and see what he says. shouldn't be 30k like what was mentioned by your previous LEW.

most likely SP didn't want to commit in case wrong info given. but landed residential prices are quite standard. very different from industrial where SP charges by per meter run. So to bring in incoming electricity to a site can cost tens of thousands or even more.

Yes, I will ask him. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, abottleofsand said:

Hi, did your managed to get your LEW to change the single phase to 3 phase? I was keen but my ID told me to budget another 30k-50k as well! 

your ID's estimate isn't that far off.

SP already charging $5K+ for pulling in a 3 phase 60A cable. rewiring the house may cost another $20K+. if you need to excavate to pull in the new cable then this is another additional cost. Unless your house already has existing lead in pipes which can be used for the new 3 phase cables, else excavation to lay the pipe from the meter box to your DB box will be required.

Thanks! This is on top of the current quote, so I am already charged 30+k for the electrical quote, and the other costs which includes the hacking of existing tiles, so another 10k.. so total will be 60-70k ish.. 

5 hours ago, abottleofsand said:

Thanks! This is on top of the current quote, so I am already charged 30+k for the electrical quote, and the other costs which includes the hacking of existing tiles, so another 10k.. so total will be 60-70k ish.. 

since you already paying for rewiring then get your ID to itemise/breakdown the quotation. since you already know how much SP will charge you, the only other big ticket item would most likely be how much it would cost to pull the new cables from meterbox to DB. your entire DB would most likely need to be changed when you switch to 3 phase. breakers in the meterbox would also need to be changed to cater for the 3 phase cables.

hi, regarding experience with SP Powergrid, how is it? I paid the $5k as mentioned by @snoozee above for upgrade to 3phase more than 2 mths ago, and still waiting for SP to give a date as to when their contractor can be done to site to take a look. Their feedback is many in the queue...

If you are doing the electrical parts, I'll suggest installing proper surge protection at the main DB and in each box.

Plus check your earth and make sure it's working well.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:37 AM, snapdragons said:

hi, regarding experience with SP Powergrid, how is it? I paid the $5k as mentioned by @snoozee above for upgrade to 3phase more than 2 mths ago, and still waiting for SP to give a date as to when their contractor can be done to site to take a look. Their feedback is many in the queue...

SP would have sent you a letter of confirmation along with the estimated timeline for provisioning of services. timeline is about 3months on average before the pandemic. So nowadays wait a bit longer is not surprising. That time I waited 8 months after payment as kenna CB just before due for installation.