Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
galliano

Video Intercom @ gate

Hi all, 

Looking for recommendations for video intercom systems @ main gate. Figured these days its all wireless and should prob be able to link up to an Amazon Echo Spot or similar. For my gate, i have catered a single gang power socket and a Cat 6 outlet. 

On the brink of doing some "smart" systems with perhaps some singular cams in living room & kitchen, but figures i keep my options open 1st. But getting an intercom as a start. 

Any suggestions? Thanks in advanced.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

video intercom systems usually operate on low voltage DC so there's actually no need to pull a 13A socket for your gate.

normally there will be a master device with video screen in your house and this is powered from the mains via a power adaptor and a cable is then used to connect the doorbell/intercom/video cam at the gate.

my suggestion is to search and finalise on the particular video door bell you wish to get for your house then plan the correct wiring for the model of the system you're getting.

On 8/21/2018 at 1:10 PM, snoozee said:

video intercom systems usually operate on low voltage DC so there's actually no need to pull a 13A socket for your gate.

normally there will be a master device with video screen in your house and this is powered from the mains via a power adaptor and a cable is then used to connect the doorbell/intercom/video cam at the gate.

my suggestion is to search and finalise on the particular video door bell you wish to get for your house then plan the correct wiring for the model of the system you're getting.

Have been searching around abit online ... most recommended Ring (https://ring.com/). The Ring 1 is on offer @ USD99. 

Looks easy to use, and practically no wiring involved. 

Edited by galliano

this Ring is installed at the front door. doesn't seem to have IP65 as well so if you want to install at your gate, need to build a case for it. then also the question is whether your home WIFI can reach the device which is enclosed in a casing and located about 10m from your WIFI router or not.

Edited by snoozee

Re-igniting this thread again on video intercom.

Considering its Black Friday weekend, been busy looking at the deals.

1, Google Home Hub (Home Hub now on offer USD99)

2. Video intercom with doorbell (Nest Hello USD179)

I guess for me, i would really want to

- have everything on Google ecosystem so at least its scalable

BUT, my concern is how my gate remote control can be linked to Google ecosystem. My contractor says its a hard wire connection basically to trigger the lock/unlocking of the front gate. Anyone has experience?

I don’t think have anything off the shelf that can do what you want. But it is technically possible with some custom IOT hardware to interface with the gate hardware. 

For me, I just purchased a set of video doorbell with 4 video monitors and it also comes with electrical lock for gate with a remote controller to unlock the gate or can use the video monitor or video door bell (with access key/card) to unlock. All are hardwired from inside the house to gate. Entire setup cost me less than $500 from AliExpress. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, snoozee said:

I don’t think have anything off the shelf that can do what you want. But it is technically possible with some custom IOT hardware to interface with the gate hardware. 

For me, I just purchased a set of video doorbell with 4 video monitors and it also comes with electrical lock for gate with a remote controller to unlock the gate or can use the video monitor or video door bell (with access key/card) to unlock. All are hardwired from inside the house to gate. Entire setup cost me less than $500 from AliExpress. 

Thanks. That’s the ‘missing link’ that’s puzzling me. But it can’t be that rare request.

Thanks for the heads up bout yr purchase. Can PM me the details?