Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ffdee

Reconstruction of 2 storey Inter-Terrace

Hi All,

need advice. after gaining some knowledge from one of the very helpful forumner here, decided to label what I plan to as Reconstruction rather than A&A.

My plan is to remove my roof and to replace it with a modern design. At the same time expand the GFA to max allowable based on the existing 2 storey building with no Attic.

I already gotten a quotation from a reputable builder and it includes everything except carpentry/fittings/woodwork/electricals such as lights. However, some of the items quoted I consider them to be rather expensive.

Question 1. Will it be a nighmare to employ the builder to do the basic structure (including PE/BCA/URA submission) and leave another company(ies) to do the rest? I would much prefer to source my own tiles, gates, doors etc.

Question 2. If I proceed, what other companies does I need to employ to complete the job? Contractors or ID Companies. Any recommendation?

Question 3. Will there be any overlap of work to be done if I employ both builder and 3rd party companies to finish the job?

Question 4. Is there any point in time I need to employ an Architect?

Question 4. What do you reckon are the differences in timeline is I was to do it?

hope to get some insight here...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Fastfatdude,

I will always suggest one main contractor for a project else you will have to coordinate the works yourselves between the different contractors. When you have multiple contractors on site, any cost and problem between them goes to the owner.

You can always source your own material(doors, tiles, fans, whatever you want) and supply them to the  main contractor to install. This way you can control your material/supplier without having to worry about the coordination. Of course, the main contractor will have to consider this into his price to you. 

On 9/13/2018 at 1:46 PM, fastfatdude said:

Hi All,

need advice. after gaining some knowledge from one of the very helpful forumner here, decided to label what I plan to as Reconstruction rather than A&A.

My plan is to remove my roof and to replace it with a modern design. At the same time expand the GFA to max allowable based on the existing 2 storey building with no Attic.

I already gotten a quotation from a reputable builder and it includes everything except carpentry/fittings/woodwork/electricals such as lights. However, some of the items quoted I consider them to be rather expensive.

Question 1. Will it be a nighmare to employ the builder to do the basic structure (including PE/BCA/URA submission) and leave another company(ies) to do the rest? I would much prefer to source my own tiles, gates, doors etc.

Question 2. If I proceed, what other companies does I need to employ to complete the job? Contractors or ID Companies. Any recommendation?

Question 3. Will there be any overlap of work to be done if I employ both builder and 3rd party companies to finish the job?

Question 4. Is there any point in time I need to employ an Architect?

Question 4. What do you reckon are the differences in timeline is I was to do it?

hope to get some insight here...

Hi

Answer as follows:

1) Basically there are a lot of coordination & integration with various components. There is a reason that the Authorities (ie: BCA) requires builders to have qualified person. Trust me when I say it will be a nightmare to coordinate.

2) For reconstruction best to engage building contractor for economical reason as qualified builder need to have qualified person to endorse submission to obtain T O P. No point getting a I D to carry out works at low price but when it's time to T O P you run into problems.

3) Look at 1).

4) I had completed with T O P a semi D with basement with built in about 4,500 sq ft. Architect fee is only token for submission. All drafting of plans is done personally by me with no charges. I am also the person to endorse on the builder's completion certificate required for T O P.

5) Refer to 1)

I can help with some budgeting. Please email your requirements to threecubebuilders@ymail.com