Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

What are the maintenance costs ?

you can hire someone to come weekly for around 70–100 

or you may consider DIY

tasks:

- check PH

- see what kind of filtration system you employ  some need topping up of chemicals regularly 

- top up chlorine, either with a floating tablet or powder. I use powder forms that I get from pool stores Eg Proline

- cleaning - clear leaves; suck debris, sweep or brush the bottom

- you can also buy a robot which ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand 

- clear the leaves from your pump system 

- clean the pump room 

- backwash and flush 

so only you can decide if you’re up to it or do you need help  and labor isn’t cheap right now 

On 7/23/2021 at 12:02 PM, petetherock said:

What are the maintenance costs ?

you can hire someone to come weekly for around 70–100 

or you may consider DIY

tasks:

- check PH

- see what kind of filtration system you employ  some need topping up of chemicals regularly 

- top up chlorine, either with a floating tablet or powder. I use powder forms that I get from pool stores Eg Proline

- cleaning - clear leaves; suck debris, sweep or brush the bottom

- you can also buy a robot which ranges from a few hundred to a few thousand 

- clear the leaves from your pump system 

- clean the pump room 

- backwash and flush 

so only you can decide if you’re up to it or do you need help  and labor isn’t cheap right now 

Is that 70-100 per week?

So recently the lights went out on my pool, I thought it might be the timer, but it turns out that the transformer was kaput.. and one of the bulbs was gone too..

The cables inside the pool had also deteriorated due to the chlorine..

So I had to fix all that, plus change the cover on my DB (which broke) and the bill came up to almost $800... 

So these are some of the ongoing costs... along with regular maintenance, and chlorine bills...

The pool guy suggests using the lights for an hour or more a night to keep the moisture out..

On 11/1/2022 at 8:17 PM, petetherock said:

So recently the lights went out on my pool, I thought it might be the timer, but it turns out that the transformer was kaput.. and one of the bulbs was gone too..

The cables inside the pool had also deteriorated due to the chlorine..

So I had to fix all that, plus change the cover on my DB (which broke) and the bill came up to almost $800... 

So these are some of the ongoing costs... along with regular maintenance, and chlorine bills...

The pool guy suggests using the lights for an hour or more a night to keep the moisture out..

your pool guy's advise doesn't make sense. "turn on the lights to keep moisture out." I would think any light fittings installed underwater should be installed in a waterproof casing and water should not be able to get in at all. If water can get into the light fitting, then your entire pool would not be safe since electricity could pass through water and you can get electrocuted inside the pool.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:16 PM, snoozee said:

your pool guy's advise doesn't make sense. "turn on the lights to keep moisture out." I would think any light fittings installed underwater should be installed in a waterproof casing and water should not be able to get in at all. If water can get into the light fitting, then your entire pool would not be safe since electricity could pass through water and you can get electrocuted inside the pool.

It's not that illogical - with time the seals will deteriorate and water seeps in.. the lamps are in a casing and the water doesn't cover the entire lamp. Also it's a 12V system, so you won't get zapped to death..

However, with time those lamps will need replacement, the plastic and the mounts deteriorate in the chlorine... not cheap, but that's all part of the wear and tear running costs of a pool.. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216d7.jpg.05ea7bb0f93d881364786fe85ae33a5b.jpg

That's the old transformer, and the new one:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216d5.jpg.9271960833cbb6be45e3e09613bad5bc.jpg

Changed the bulbs too:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216d9.jpg.a4c0afc4a0f521c7e707fb113f118c0b.jpg

14 hours ago, petetherock said:

It's not that illogical - with time the seals will deteriorate and water seeps in.. the lamps are in a casing and the water doesn't cover the entire lamp. Also it's a 12V system, so you won't get zapped to death..

However, with time those lamps will need replacement, the plastic and the mounts deteriorate in the chlorine... not cheap, but that's all part of the wear and tear running costs of a pool.. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216d7.jpg.05ea7bb0f93d881364786fe85ae33a5b.jpg

That's the old transformer, and the new one:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_216d5.jpg.9271960833cbb6be45e3e09613bad5bc.jpg

question is where are these transformers located? output is 12V but still requires 230V input. if the transformers are located somewhere outside the pool then will be safe.