Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jysel

Ants invasion

I have a desperate situation and need advice.

Recently, i had ants in my house and found an ant nest in the top kitchen cabinet which was untouched in many years. I cleared it on my own but some ants ran away. For the next one week, they came out from other places in my kitchen daily so I had no choice but to call in a pest control. They put bait and sprayed outside my kitchen window. No more live ants for one week.

However, i found ants roaming in my kitchen toilet after one week and called in pest control. They came and put bait only. After two days, ants were still roaming and also start to invade my bedroom toilet which was next to the kitchen toilet. Having lost faith in pest control, i decided to spray at all window entry points. It has good results and finally I don't see live ants for now. 

But I have got into a depression and paranoid after this incident. I checked for ants every morning and night to make sure I don't see any live ants. I also spray everyday at the windows just to make sure they don't return. 

My husband suggested to spray a perimeter on the outdoor wall surrounding the windows once a week for total prevention. In addition, inner part of windows should be sprayed too as double protection. 

I searched extensively online to find solutions to prevent ants from entering the house. But most people use baits. Even my friends and neighbors use baits. But because I had lost faith in baits after pest control company put baits and failed to solve the problem, wasting my time and money. My personal opinion is bait could work but takes a very long time to see results. By then, ants would have roamed everywhere had I not used a spray.

I would very much appreciate advice and comfort. I had became paranoid everyday just to check for ants. I have also reduced cooking and went to my parents place everyday just to avoid staying at home. 

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

The only real solution to ants is using baits. You can try different baits.

Perhaps the type of bait the pest control company uses is not effective for the species in your house. Some ants hunt for sugar, some hunt for protein. The pest control company you engaged is probably not competence.

Try getting the terro PCO ant bait from NTUC or some supermarkets. many good reviews. Or you can make yourself using borax, sugar and/or peanut butter.

Spraying just introduce more toxic chemicals into the house. Not recommended. Or you can try some organic homemake sprays using chilli oil, vinegar or something that is non-toxic to humans. Can try googling for recipes.

How baits supposed to work is simple. It is a slow poison, so will take a few days to see the results. It is not supposed to kill the ants immediately, but to let them carry back to the nest so that the queen can feed on it. That's the only way to wipe out an entire colony w/o extensive damage to the property. It takes a while meaning, days. Definitely NOT a long time like weeks or months.. that is ridiculous. The numbers will get smaller and smaller as the colony is slowly wiped out.