Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LingR

Damage repair done by Neighbour's builders

Hi

Can anyone advise me how this works? 

Should there be a surveyor coming to take pictures of the house before they start work and after the structure is done?

Can the builders only repaint that particular area which they damage or should the piece of wall be repaint?

Is there any guidelines where i can obtain informations?

Many thanks

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
50 minutes ago, LingR said:

Hi

Can anyone advise me how this works? 

Should there be a surveyor coming to take pictures of the house before they start work and after the structure is done?

Can the builders only repaint that particular area which they damage or should the piece of wall be repaint?

Is there any guidelines where i can obtain informations?

Many thanks

normally the contractors would do a pre-construction survey on immediate neighbours' houses to protect themselves. but in the event damages does occur, the contractor would offer to rectify/repair the damages unless the owner insist on using their own contractors to perform the rectification work.

painting wise, I can't comment but I guess it's normally based on how extensive is the damage and repairs.

you can search online for BCA Be Good Neighbours on some guidelines from BCA.

My neighbour sustained some water damage in the course of some cleaning work. My builder was very prompt in his response, went down the same day.

That limits the anger, and also allows a survey of any damage before it can be tampered with. Eg, if the neighbour complains his washing machine was spoilt, he dug a little further and it turns out that it was already on the blink before the washing.. but a prompt response helps downplay any anger.

Every construction project, whether A&A, Reconstruction, etc, the contractor, on behalf of the owner, will be required to do the following:

1) Obtain a Contractor's All Risk Insurance policy to cover the construction project.

2) Engage an independent Loss Adjuster to carry out photographic survey of the Project Premise & the surrounding such as neighbor's property, rainwater drainage, public road outside the construction, kerb, etc. Master copy of the photo survey will be retain by the Owner, Contractor & Consultant of the Construction Project. A separate copy of the same on each neighbor's showing the neighbor's property will be distributed  to the neighbor as record of each neighbor's condition prior to construction commencement.

3) Engage a sewerage CCTV contractor to scan the sewer lines within boundary of the property under construction.

According to the Insurance policy, there will normally be an "excess" clause stating the limit. Assuming the excess is stated as $1 Million, this means any damages to neighbor's property (per incident, per property or otherwise depending on the policy's stipulation), the contractor carrying out the construction will bear the initial $1 million worth of the reinstatement to the damage & the insurance will bear anything beyond $1 million.

To illustrate this further, assume the damage is confirm by comparison of the loss adjuster's photo survey against the damage, & the reinstatement to damage is is estimated at cost $1,000,001.00.

The contractor will pay or provide for the reinstatement up to $1 million to the affected neighbor.

The insurance will pay & $1 to the affected neighbor.

Hence most of the time, the contract will carry out the repair instead of claiming the insurance.

Every claim on the insurance will mean:

1) Personal liability by all director's of the contractor as the director's are required to sign a indemnity to the insurance company.

2) Higher premium for Contractor's All Risk on future projects.

Hopes this help all to understand some of the mechanism of the process.

Edited by 3Cube
missing words

Thank you All for the response.

Didnt find much from BCA Be Good Neighbours on some guidelines from BCA but still thankful for the tips. :) 

Surveyors came to take picture before the construction proceed. Now structure is done.

Are the contractors suppose to get the Surveyor in to take pictures of the damages they have done or the contactor will do it themselves?

So how do they measure the existing cracks? I do have some hairline cracks before the construction and it got worst as they were piling the ground. 

I'm wondering how to tackle this issue.

Pls kindly advise.

What company do you recommend to help with a loft conversion? I'm looking for professionals who can transform my space into a stylish and functional place to live or work. What recommendations or experience do you have in this area?

You see when I was looking for a company to renovate a loft, it was important for me not just to choose the first one I came across, but to carefully work out all the details. I usually start by researching the reputation and experience of companies because it is important to me that my money and time are spent effectively. In my opinion, the quality of work directly depends on how well the company knows its business, especially when it comes to specialized work such as insulating your loft. I also pay attention to how they communicate with clients and how transparent they are about budgets and deadlines.