Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
janesuah

2nd Home: 3-Room to EM! Toddler-Proof House

This is my 2nd time here!

Will be getting a EM soon. Very very excited about it as previously we had gotten a BTO 3-room, there were too much space issues after 1 kid + 1 incoming kid + 1 dog.

This time, we decided to go for a EM even thou it is a 30 yr old flat. Double the size! Hope it will serve our little family of 5 well for as long as possible.

We would like to seek advice from fellow parents and home owners - how to toddler-proof the house? Our first child is a like a monkey and we had to remove many things in our current 3-room flat.

For our coming EM, we want to have many closed-storage and as much walking/crawling space as possible.

Below is our floor plan:

- Light blue lines: half glass walls

- Dark blue lines: full glass walls

- Light grey carpentry works: half length carpentry

- Dark grey carpentry works: full length carpentry

I want a open concept kitchen with glass walls: to keep a lookout of the kids, yet able to keep out cooking smell/oil from the living room.

Hacked down 2 of bedroom side walls and replaced with full glass wall: To be able to look out for kids while I am doing home based jobs at another room. Also, to be able to ensure first child is adapting well in sleeping alone.

Also, previously we had a sort of "walk-in wardrobe" in our 3-room, but it eats up into our space and we are unable to place baby mattresses on floor. Good point is it is able to block out lights while either of us is sleeping/preparing for work. Any idea how to do a walk-in concept and yet able to put at least 2 single mattresses on the floor together with queen mattress? We are unsure if first child is able to sleep on his own yet, so we are preparing to have 2 kids to sleep together with us.

UFLOO.100135684.V550.png

5fc4459dacfaaac0904a27d12fccaca9.jpg

HDB-maisonette-1.jpg

Edited by janesuah

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm moving to an EM too come May will be starting my renovation in April and I'm having similar layout as yours. The current Owner has a walk in wardrobe with the toilet in the master bed room and still got space to have a baby cot and have more than enough space for another single mattress on the floor however the walk path between the queen bed and walk in wardrobe is kind of narrow around 50-60 cm. I will still keep the Walk in Wardrobe concept.