Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
shaunling

How 9 Moms Built Kids Friendly Room For Their Kids (In Johor Bahru)

Making your home fit with your lifestyle and into your aesthetic is hard enough without adding children into the equation… Which is why we’re always so impressed with the family-friendly homes domino features—white sofas and all. As it turns out, various designers and parents have different philosophies on how exactly to make a home well-designed while still being suitable for young children. Keep reading to learn how seven mothers make kid-friendly spaces for themselves as well as their clients.

maya nairn

FOUNDER OF 

DE BUCI BABY

WHERE DO YOU START WHEN DESIGNING A SPACE YOU KNOW CHILDREN WILL SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN?
Safety is definitely where I begin. I want to be able to sit in a room with my children and know that they are safe without having to keep an eye on every single thing that they are doing. I do the typical childproofing with baby gates on stairs, plugs in electrical sockets and internal cabinet locks on cabinets that might have cleaning products or breakables inside. Being realistic is next. Kids will spill things and mark things so I’m very thoughtful with the colors and textures of fabrics that I use. One of our sofas is navy velvet. The dark color and the texture of this velvet have been great in hiding little mishaps. Our other sofa and chair have removable covers and have been washed on many occasions.

HOW DO YOU MAKE A SPACE KID-FRIENDLY? FROM THE FURNITURE TO DECOR, ETC. WHAT DO YOU SPLURGE/SAVE ON, TRICKS OR ALTERNATIVES YOU’VE FOUND WORK?
Two of my favorite things that we have done is no coffee table and low furniture. It has created this really lovely space that is so comfortable for everyone. You can sit on the sofa, or sit on the floor with your back against the sofa. You can play with the kids on the floor or comfortably do your own thing while they are playing right there. They can climb on the furniture and when they inevitably take a tumble they don’t have very far to fall. We also have a deceptive number of toys, books and dress up clothes hidden away in cupboards and baskets. Everything is easily accessible to the children and out of sight when they are asleep.

oyeozn08lng2tweibp2j.jpgPin It
MIA BAXTER

HOW DOES DESIGNING A “KID-FRIENDLY” SPACE IMPACT OR CHANGE YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?
I’m a minimalist and I think there is an innate child friendliness in minimalism because there isn’t much around for them to get into. We probably have fewer low lying vases of flowers and objects than we might otherwise have but I don’t feel we have had to compromise anything aesthetically because of our children.

WHAT DOES THE DESCRIPTOR “KID-FRIENDLY” ACTUALLY MEAN TO YOU?
A room that is safe and fun for a child to be in. A room where they can spill a drink or get chocolate on something and it isn’t the end of the world. A room where they aren’t constantly being told not to touch things.

I FEEL LIKE THERE’S KIND OF A COMMON BELIEF THAT YOU CAN’T HAVE A TRULY STUNNING SPACE THAT ALSO WORKS FOR KIDS. HOW DO YOU FIND A BALANCE BETWEEN MAKING A BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED HOME THAT ALSO WORKS FOR YOUNG, POTENTIALLY MESSY CHILDREN?
It’s all about perspective. There is definitely a belief that things needs to be dumbed down for children, be it interiors, clothing, or food. You can get a stain out of a pretty cotton dress or button down shirt as easily as you can a cotton t-shirt. The same principle rings true in interiors, beautiful can be practical too. I do think it’s important to hold your children to certain standards in your home. We have rules like only eating in the kitchen, no jumping on the sofas, it’s ok to make a big mess as long as you clean it up when you’ve finished playing. It’s a work in progress along with every other aspect of parenting, but I try to teach them to be respectful of their environments. 

sm4qax6ixudtbjz31mj9.jpgPin It
MIA BAXTER

robin wilson
CEO OF 

ROBIN WILSON HOME

WHERE DO YOU START WHEN DESIGNING A SPACE YOU KNOW CHILDREN WILL SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN?
The first thing I ask a client who wants a child-friendly space is the age, energy level, allergies and if there are any disabilities to ensure that the space is appropriate for their children and their friends.

HOW DOES DESIGNING A “KID-FRIENDLY” SPACE IMPACT OR CHANGE YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?
As any parent knows, the most important thing about a kid-friendly space is using our Clean Design protocol to ensure that it is non-toxic from the foundation to the furnishings. We select floor coverings that are washable like FLOR carpet tiles, suggest rubber (not vinyl!) playmats, and materials that are both durable and easily cleaned. For safety, corners are often rounded and lighting is also important, as well as anchoring shelving to the wall to prevent tipping, and we only use no-VOC wall paint to ensure no off-gassing.

A room that is safe and fun for a child to be in. A room where they can spill a drink or get chocolate on something and it isn’t the end of the world. A room where they aren’t constantly being told not to touch things.

HOW DO YOU MAKE A SPACE KID-FRIENDLY? FROM THE FURNITURE TO DECOR, ETC. WHAT DO YOU SPLURGE/SAVE ON, TRICKS OR ALTERNATIVES YOU’VE FOUND WORK?
My book, Clean Design, has an entire chapter devoted to nurseries/play spaces and all the non-toxic things a person can do to design on a budget or to splurge. One of the biggest trends in kid-friendly spaces is to have a single wall with a whiteboard or chalkboard (use only dustless chalk!)‎ wall. And we always mix high-low. For example, the crib/bed might be from a high end store and the child friendly plastic chair and the drawing table might be from IKEA, which is easy to clean.

I FEEL LIKE THERE’S KIND OF A COMMON BELIEF THAT YOU CAN’T HAVE A TRULY STUNNING SPACE THAT ALSO WORKS FOR KIDS. HOW DO YOU FIND A BALANCE BETWEEN MAKING A BEAUTIFULLY DESIGNED HOME THAT ALSO WORKS FOR YOUNG, POTENTIALLY MESSY CHILDREN?
My belief is that color, pattern and texture are the most important things for a child’s space. Whether a colorful tent, colorful floor tiles and solid white or primary colors, the space should have a theme that allows them to know it is “theirs” and also have the potential for them to age in the space without too many alterations outside of paint and decorative items. One of the best things is purchasing a bed that can “grow” with the child, yet be in a classic style that will complement them at their current age.

ntzb8yhs96b2tew0to3t.jpgPin It
ROBIN WILSON

Pro tip: Use unexpected items to furnish your space. Designer Maryam Nassirzadeh uses a vintage mail sorter to smaller toys.

v2vnolh9buogfbgtetm0.jpgPin It
BRITTANY AMBRIDGE

jenni li

FOUNDER OF 

INTIEARTH

HOW DID DESIGNING A “KID-FRIENDLY” SPACE IMPACT OR CHANGE YOUR DESIGN PROCESS?
It didn’t really impact anything too much. Visually, I’m drawn to more formal and manicured living rooms. Comfortable and functional design always wins in the end. Where you can relax and put your feet up, with kids or without.

HOW DO YOU MAKE A SPACE KID-FRIENDLY?

• I love open floor plans with combined living kitchen and dining, this allows everyone to spend more time together, cooking and meals together are important in our house.
  • I designed this space to open up onto the backyard, so the living space flows into green space and the kids can play. Toys inevitably end up outside of their defined play areas. So I make sure they “blend” into the living space so the house doesn’t end up one big playroom.
  • Baskets are great, they look great and kind hide everything. I’m also keen on built in storage cabinets that are extensions of the walls. It creates a continuous clean look and you can hide all those plastic toys inside. They can get thrown in at cleanup time.
  • Kids love to draw and paint but it’s tricky to have everything on hand for these projects. I always dedicate one wall near the kitchen for art. Whether it’s a chalkboard wall or a shelf with paint, jars, and paper on the wall. It’s ready to go.

I KNOW YOU HAVE A WHITE SOFA, WHICH MOST PEOPLE WOULD RULE OUT IMMEDIATELY. HOW?!
That’s always a big topic for people when they talk about my home. They always ask “How do you keep it so clean?!” I have had white sofas for as long as I can remember. Slip covers are essential. Just throw it in the wash.

A space with lots of fragile crystal figurines and non-washable silk furniture could pose some risks with kids.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Wa... really good planning. 

I am happy for the kids, everything at home seems to be perfect for this family.

For landed homes in Singapore I feel that sometimes we need to use Solar Reflective Paint to keep the roof and wall cool,

Come back home after a long day, the house is not warm and uncomfortable.. 

Best part is, can save electricity cause aircon work lesser to cool a house that is not that warm in the first place.

I use HeatAX solar reflective paint, can just DIY on my exterior walls.

Okay, we have already decided here that obesity is also a convenience factor. If you don't have shops within walking distance, this is definitely a problem. But let's look at the problem from the other side. If you really want something, what can stop you? It seems to me that the availability of the store is an excuse. You can create a schedule and a sample menu, go shopping once a week and collect products from which you can make both a healthy lunch and a pleasant snack for the child. The fact that we choose only simple fatty foods for ourselves and children only shows that the consequences of such a diet are not so important to us. I worked with children on the Foster Plus programs and met with an overweight child. Yes, he had health problems, and heredity also played an important role. But the guy lost 5 kg in 2 months simply because he was ready to eat right with me, and he liked how I turned exercise into a game. It's all about desire.

You can't equate children with each other. Still, you have to create a common space for the development of each child so that no one thinks one is better and the other is worse or that parents love them differently. We bought glittering crown dummy clips for our triplets so they can feel where their pacifier is. We bought identical cribs, and each made them personalized with toys and blankets that we liked to choose by color. And it seems like everything is white and the same as you say. Still, we cite those moments when a child expresses himself as a person and individuality.