Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Makster

Budget DiY Reno for 16 YO flat @ below $10k

The other section we painted over with epoxy paint is our kitchen cum dining. We had it done all in simple white this time. And because we're quite into the black frame trend, we paid extra to have the window frames @ the bathrooms & the kitchen painted black!

Screenshot_2019-05-17-12-32-05-156_com.facebook.katana.png.0f538ed51f443eddd8428d481f2dab6a.pngScreenshot_2019-05-17-12-32-09-671_com.facebook.katana.png.12431d816cfc6cc36fdeb4204f560539.pngScreenshot_2019-05-17-12-32-13-171_com.facebook.katana.png.165080af9a11ae738e4a2e1679592f14.pngScreenshot_2019-05-17-12-32-17-501_com.facebook.katana.png.c1eb74b305d168f5d84eff8499730459.pngScreenshot_2019-05-17-12-40-22-450_com.whatsapp.png.084026bf23e646a42d9b68dbdab2f54d.png

There are lotsa colours to choose from for epoxy paint. You gotta mix the epoxy paint with 20% hardener. We contemplated DIY but decided our skill set wasn't good or fast enough - epoxy dries to a sticky finish fast (though complete drying is like 12 hours). The fumes are also quite noxious so ... Glad we left it to the pros! These pictures were taken by them... We didn't stay around much after they started work!

My total cost of epoxy painting came up to $1700 for all walls and floor for 2 bathrooms, kitchen/dining, including paint.

I don't know how long it'll last honestly, I can detect minor nicks and scratches in the kitchen if I look hard enough, but at this price, which also entails less hassle and cleanup, and a turn-around time of just 2 weeks to reno and move...we're pretty happy our gamble into unknown territory paid off! I only wish I'd discovered epoxy painting earlier!

So is epoxy painting for you? Well, if you like simple colours, either plain glossy like mine, or the snowflake epoxy with its granite look that I personally didn't have a thing for, then it's a cheap and fast option. Don't expect grey slate tiles or timber tiles look - I had to give up on that design direction and make do. White and black generally look classy hence they were our choices. If you look through jaybon's portfolio on his Facebook account, you'd see he's done pink, green, yellow and lotsa grey too for other homeowners. 

Screenshot_2019-05-17-12-40-26-770_com.whatsapp.png

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

The kitchen looks so much brighter now with all white tiles!

Can I ask what does the texture of the painted tiles feel like, in particular the painted floor tiles? How do they feel when you walk on them, and are they easy to clean/mop? In the bathroom, does water flow smoothly and does it feel like tiles with non-slip treatment?

It's glossy but not as smooth as homogenous tiles, anti-slip, doesn't feel as cold to the touch as say marble. Easy to clean. Well, at least for black and white colours like mine, easy to touch up too! 

I noticed the green staircase in my daughter's school has black stains after a year but I suppose it's probably not well taken care of in the first place! many public places use epoxy paint too like HDB corridors, void deck, school toilets etc! 

I'm so excited to finally get my digital smart lock! Ordered online and got Mr Lee to install.

Was hesitating for a long time cos my gate was stiff after changing a few broken latches and repainting the gate. Didn't know how to fix the problem. Thought it'd be silly to fix a new lock on a creaky stiff gate!

Well, Mr Lee detected the problem straight away and fixed it without additional charge!

I'm super chuffed my gate is now sooo smooth, swings out silently, and I don't have to play tug-of-war with it anymore! It's also fun to swipe my finger to unlock the gate almost instantaneously! No more carrying bunches of keys!

IMG_20190605_134706.jpg

IMG_20190605_134736.jpg

IMG_20190605_135508.jpg

• Like 1

Here's the man himself if anyone's interested! Good service, very professional and responsible, and even vacuumed after! 

IMG_20190607_015844.jpg

IMG_20190607_015918.jpg

IMG_20190607_015945.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 2:36 PM, SunMoonLove said:

Would appreciated you can share Mr Lee.contact with me. TIA. 

His namecard is above. Mr Lee as he's known... Is Pascal Lee 

Thank you so much for sharing! This post was well needed as I am going nuts finding cheap but good contractors.

can I check for the both toilets that you mentioned adding up to 3k, it’s including all the toilet bowl, basin, shower door and cabinet? Or you purchase them separately? Thank you!

Thank you so much for sharing! This post was well needed as I am going nuts finding cheap but good contractors.

can I check for the both toilets that you mentioned adding up to 3k, it’s including all the toilet bowl, basin, shower door and cabinet? Or you purchase them separately? Thank you!

Looks cozy! Good for you. I've got into doing all the house restoration and doing my own furniture as well. And aside from the getting everything the way I want It feels really good on some primal level. Here's an aid I found in process area to cover