Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mysticblue77

Advise for kitchen cabinet with dishwasher

Hi,

Need advise for installation of kitchen cabinet with dishwasher. My ID advise that the final height needs to be 910mm to accommodate the dishwasher which is usually about 850mm. I went around different showrooms and saw that those cabinets in IKEA are mostly 910mm. However, I noticed that even at 910mm, there is no structural/wooden support above the dishwasher, hence creating an unnecessary big gap. 

Has anyone plainly installed quartz countertop over their dishwasher without adding additional wooden structural support before? The idea is to reduce the final height as much as possible as my wife and mom are not very tall. 

Regards

Mysticblue

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Assuming the floor to countertop height is 910mm, after minus the 850mm for the dishwasher, you are left with 60mm.

assuming the quartz thickness is 20mm, then you are left with 40mm. But if your quartz has an overhang to make the front look thicker, and assuming the front profile is 30mm, then you are left with 30mm of space.

if you are going to have a 1 inch thick plinth for your counter base, then you basically have only 5mm of gap left which would be almost negligible.

if your concern is to have a counter which is like only 880mm tall, then I would say don’t integrate the dishwasher in as you would not be able to do it unless you buy a dishwasher which is much lower and is designed for integration into cabinets. Those 850mm tall dishwashers are more meant to be stand alone.

if you really do not want to have structure to support the quartz countertop over the dishwasher, I suppose it is possible. However do understand that over time you may run a risk of the quartz sagging or even cracking due to the lack of support over that 600mm width.

Will the quartz sag or crack over time?? The problem is my kitchen aisle is quite narrow, hence if we decide that both side have different height, it might be quite obvious. 

Edited by Mysticblue77

I can't confirm if quartz countertops will crack or sag over time. but quartz countertops are made of quartz chips embedded in resin which sounds similar to solid surface countertops which are made of some kind of resin as well. I have seen solid surface countertops sagging due to lack of or broken supports at fast food restaurants so I am inclined to believe that quartz countertops if not properly supported may behave in the same way.

your dilemma now is to have to chose between aesthetically pleasing against functionality. I would suggest you talk to the users of the kitchen counter (wife and mom) and make the decision from there. if the users are going to spend hours using the counter rather than non-users who just see the counter 3 or 4 times a day, then it is better to build the height for the users who are actually using the counter for "working" rather than non-users who just look at the counter top. at the end of the day, "happy wife equals happy life" :D