Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Norman Ng

My Mancave - 2Rm Type 1 (35sqm) HDB BTO post renovation musings

On 8/14/2020 at 12:15 PM, Lov8 said:

Wow such a nice place. For the DIY projects, can share wat jig saw do u use? 

Hi Lov8, thanks for the compliments. The jigsaw I use is from the Milwaukee line, like the rest of my tools.

I got the WorkX Pegasus Work Table to use it on. It was avilable from Amazon some time back.

The Work Table was from Amazon, I believe. The jigsaw was from eBay since I think it's impossible to find in Singapore. Hope this helps!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
12 hours ago, Lov8 said:

Thanks for sharing. Think I hv to go for other brands then. The work table u use looks so pro! 

It was only about a hundred something dollars, shipped from Amazon US when they did international shipping for free. Sadly no longer. 

The latest addition/change in my living room is to get rid of my coffee table and to use a permanent dining table instead. It's a smallish table from IKEA, very minimalist that I like. Also changed a single seater couch to a 2 seat Muji living/dining chair configuration. Since the Muji chairs are a little lower, I had to saw about 10 cm off the legs of the table to make the combo more comfortable. 

I like the configuration a lot. It gives me a place to eat, work and entertain guests without having to wheel the expandable table out every time. The Muji chairs also tuck nicely underneath when not in use. 

So far the house is holding up well after about 1.5 years. Some little repairs and upkeep needed, nothing major. Hope it stays that way!

Hope everyone is keeping safe and healthy during this trying COVID times. As you can see I got a little companion to ease the pain a little haha.

IMG_8138.jpg

• Like 2

I think your configuration is just a little different from mine. My kitchen is squarish. I think your bedroom and living room may be more spacious than mine, although the lines are different. Will PM you my contractor details. 

Hi Norman, 

nice place first of all and massive respects to your "F***itilldoitmyself" attitude! 

Although i initially thought you had too many things in your living space...i failed to consider that 35sqm is actually quite small and probably why it may have seemed busy to my eyes.

i plan to start applying for a 2rm in November...so im just trawling the internet for ideas and possibly find some answers to the million questions i have. So if i could pick your brain....

1. Did you choose type 1...or were the type 2s fully booked?

2. I understand the bath/toilet comes with tiling but you mentioned overlaying kitchen tiles? can we opt out of wall tiles for kitchen?

3.again regarding the toilet...from the floor plans the walls look like they are non-structural so does that mean it is possible to hack the walls away to reconfigure the toilet after 3 years(maciam my attached pic)? 

Cheers,

Guna

edit: hahaha i did not know swearing will be censored...?‍⚖️

Inkedhackysack!.jpg

Edited by gingoism

Hi Guna, thanks for your feedback! My Fxxk it attitude is because I'm poor and need to save money, and also because sometimes if you want something done right the way you want, you gotta do it yourself lol. Yes I find that sometimes my place can look a little cluttered if I don't curate and tidy my things. It's always a compromise between form and function. Especially since I am using an open shelf concept.

I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. Did you choose type 1...or were the type 2s fully booked?

I would have of course wanted the Type 2. I have been to the showrooms and I find that 45sqm seems just right for 1 person. But when it was my turn to choose a flat at my estate, all the good Type 2s have been taken. There was one type 2 avail but it was at level 3 and was looking out at the rubbish dump. I seriously thought about taking it, figuring that if I kept the windows closed I can still enjoy the larger space of a Type 2. But I'm glad I didn't - the place I'm at now is at a high floor with a great unblocked view and I don't regret it one bit.

2. I understand the bath/toilet comes with tiling but you mentioned overlaying kitchen tiles? can we opt out of wall tiles for kitchen?

I don't believe you can, because both the kitchen and bathroom are tiled as they have to be certified waterproof to HDB standards before handover. Reason being that if it's not waterproof, the water may seep into the concrete and down to your neighbours below and is a huge liability issue. 

3.again regarding the toilet...from the floor plans the walls look like they are non-structural so does that mean it is possible to hack the walls away to reconfigure the toilet after 3 years(maciam my attached pic)? 

Ya so for the same reason mentioned, you cannot hack any part of the toilet wall. There are also water and sewage pipes running inside and along the structure and you don't want to mess with those. the Only thing I think is hackable for the Type 1 is the false wall with the sliding door. 

hehe I get it, i am averse to spending money also. i am big on open shelving too...and think i might have a possible solution to minimize dust settle, meshed metal shelving..so the dust can fall through? Maybe?

It is a big shame that we cant hack or reconfigure the toilet...this option can open up so much more design opportunities. i like asymmetrical walls...and thought that would make it look less boxed up and generic.

Another question, how many times did you apply before you managed a successful one? And regarding inspection of the flat, must you do it immediately or there is no time frame?

Edited by gingoism

10 hours ago, gingoism said:

hehe I get it, i am averse to spending money also. i am big on open shelving too...and think i might have a possible solution to minimize dust settle, meshed metal shelving..so the dust can fall through? Maybe?

It is a big shame that we cant hack or reconfigure the toilet...this option can open up so much more design opportunities. i like asymmetrical walls...and thought that would make it look less boxed up and generic.

Another question, how many times did you apply before you managed a successful one? And regarding inspection of the flat, must you do it immediately or there is no time frame?

personally, I dont like mesh cos difficult to clean, much easier to wipe a flat surface right?

During key collection, you will be given a defect form and you are supposed to fill up any defect and submit to the BCA at your estate within 7 days. But they will still help if you spot more issues later. BCA will be at the estate for the 1st year. Most importantly, the defects must be submitted and rectified before renovation. If not BCA may not rectify it cos the defect may be created during reno.

Calagaris makes a table which can be converted from a coffee table to a dining table for six. Should be under 1.5k. Maybe it will suit you..

22 hours ago, gingoism said:

What mmoh said is correct. Dust will still settle somewhere, be it on the books or whatever you put on it. So it depends on your tolerance level with dust. I find that it’s not so bad for me if I keep all the windows closed when I’m not home. A quick dusting once in a while should do the trick. 

If I remember correctly, this was my second or third attempt at balloting before I got an invitation to select a flat. I really wanted this unit as it is really close to my girlfriend’s place and it is working out really well. There’s a huge luck element in the equation though. So keep trying!

Edited by Norman Ng
formatting

42 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Calagaris makes a table which can be converted from a coffee table to a dining table for six. Should be under 1.5k. Maybe it will suit you..

Thanks for the suggestion pete! I had a look at their lineup and they look nice. The price range is a little out of my budget though. I got this table off carousel for about $100, sawed the legs short and I'm all set! Live within your means as they say!