Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
pm_yeo

Termite treatment?

Hi all, we have reconstructed our inter-terrace about 9 yrs ago and so far there is no issue with termite infestation. 

At the point of construction, we have the termite treatment done, and i remember it is valid for ~10yr? or something like that.

i cannot remember already; and since we are approaching 10yrs, is it advisable to do another termite treatment for safety sake?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
1 hour ago, pm_yeo said:

Hi all, we have reconstructed our inter-terrace about 9 yrs ago and so far there is no issue with termite infestation. 

At the point of construction, we have the termite treatment done, and i remember it is valid for ~10yr? or something like that.

i cannot remember already; and since we are approaching 10yrs, is it advisable to do another termite treatment for safety sake?

Just forwarding (I'm not soliciting for business. Just helping.) the following link for infor on how to check before engaging pest control:

https://www.rentokil.com.sg/termites/protect-your-home/home-check-termite-aid/

Normally for residential landed house construction will provide 10 years warranty for termite. Your builder would have forward to you a copy of the warranty as issued by the builder's termite treatment sub contractor. You should contact the sub contractor engage by your builder to advice as warranty terms / liabilities / conditions differ between companies.

One of the most effective method is to use this:

https://www.environmentalscience.bayer.sg/Pest-Management/Products/Agenda

Unfortunately this is only obtainable by pest control company with valid poison / pest control license. One of the many companies as follows:

https://killem.com.sg/blog/killem-pest-pesticide-profile-agenda-10sc/

You do need to know to apply the treatment, holes will be drilled at strategic points on your property's ground floor slab. The pest control personnel will be able to explain in detail.

This method, if I'm not mistaken, is the most costly out of all available option.

Hope these infor helps you understand.

Thanks 3Cube. I do have the certificate and warranty and its for 10yrs. 

My question is ... now that 10yrs has past, is there a need to do another treatment? 

Purpose of my 1st post in this thread is to save money. Meaning you can do your own checks before engaging a pest control company.

Otherwise, if money is no object, go on & engage any pest control (read through your current warranty terms & condition first!!!).

Normally, if your property does not have expose soil (ie: turfing, garden, etc), which also means your property's entire ground is covered with concrete floor slab,  in my opinion, I wouldn't waste the money & do my own checks periodically.

Do note that I say this because generally warranty does not cover much liability on damages by termite. Hence I stress that you look through your current warranty to understand what is covered & weigh the cost against what is covered for damages (ie: it will better if warranty cover for replacement of damages, in monetary or the likes in full when termite do occur)

Hello Yeo, basically termite treatment is abit bull****, they cover warrenty prevention of termite from your SOIL only. 

Termite only have 2 way of invading your home, first type is the flying one( fly to your balcony then shed his wing) 

2nd type is the normal type, crawling type either from your LEAD IN pipe or from your neighbour roof.

Your 10year warrenty does not cover this above 2.

In short, just do exposed area with soil is sufficient.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vrom Sim Pern Hong said:

Hello Yeo, basically termite treatment is abit bull****, they cover warrenty prevention of termite from your SOIL only. 

Termite only have 2 way of invading your home, first type is the flying one( fly to your balcony then shed his wing) 

2nd type is the normal type, crawling type either from your LEAD IN pipe or from your neighbour roof.

Your 10year warrenty does not cover this above 2.

In short, just do exposed area with soil is sufficient.

This sort of saying out what I mean when you "read-between-the-lines" of my post above.

9 hours ago, Vrom Sim Pern Hong said:

Chill bro, I just joined this community only, just sharing MY own 2c opinion ?  let’s just try to help everyone!

I think you misunderstood. I'm actually agreeing with what you're saying. I ain't attacking.

Thanks for the useful advise provided, will keep those in mind when engaging a pest control company. Just wondering if there are any recommendations? 

Personally, I order pest control services once every 6 months -- for me, pests are a big problem that is hard to get rid of. Termites have proven to be the most awful creatures I've ever seen. Even though they are called "white ants", they are more like cockroaches. I can't stand seeing them around our terrace. Unfortunately, they tend to return, so every 6 months I am forced to order pest control services, usually as an emergency, because these ants just seem to suddenly appear out of nowhere, which is quite annoying and stressful. I hate insects, I hate ants, I hate everything crawling...