Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
propertynewbie

Development Charge - for private residential property

Hi, am thinking of buying an old two storey landed residential terrace and knocking it down and rebuilding into a 3.5 storey.  This is in a designated 3 storey landed residential area and the plot ratio is sufficient for 3.5 storey.  My questions:

1.  Is there a risk I need to pay a development charge, since the existing structure is two storey only?  If so, roughly how much is the DC?  Please assume I max out the built up area, to two times the current built up area.  

2.  Is there any difference in development charge if I do A&A rather than knock down/rebuild? 

3.  If I need an on-site inspection done before purchasing, how does it work - do I get an architect or a PE on site?  Do they do it for free or how much do they charge? 

Thanks!

Edited by propertynewbie
add additional question

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

No DC if the resultant building form is the same as the original.

DC applies if you are tearing down a detached house and building a few semi-d or terrace houses in its place. Or you buy 2 semi-d side by side and then rebuild into a few terrace houses. 

Basically if the land value will be enhanced, DC will apply.

if your plan is to tear down and rebuilt, why want to do site inspection? Just go buy SIP and DIP from pub to make sure your target plot of land does not have a sewer running through the land and the land is not affected by drainage reserves. Else you may have to spend money to build an RC trench to protect the sewer (if you are building over the sewer). If affected by drainage reserve, your house may need additional setback which means a smaller plot for you to build on.

12 hours ago, propertynewbie said:

Hi, am thinking of buying an old two storey landed residential terrace and knocking it down and rebuilding into a 3.5 storey.  This is in a designated 3 storey landed residential area and the plot ratio is sufficient for 3.5 storey.  My questions:

1.  Is there a risk I need to pay a development charge, since the existing structure is two storey only?  If so, roughly how much is the DC?  Please assume I max out the built up area, to two times the current built up area.  

2.  Is there any difference in development charge if I do A&A rather than knock down/rebuild? 

3.  If I need an on-site inspection done before purchasing, how does it work - do I get an architect or a PE on site?  Do they do it for free or how much do they charge? 

Thanks!

Maybe I can be of some help on layout planning & full owner's budget advice. Kindly email your property's infor & your requirement to threecubebuilders@ymail.com

On 11/3/2019 at 8:20 PM, propertynewbie said:

Thanks!

Just to add on, landed houses whether in a designated landed housing zone or not, are not limited by plot ratio. They just need to purely follow envelope control guidelines.

And yes single unit houses develop back into a single unit, even if there there is a change in typology (semi-D to detached, or terrace to semi-D for example), is exempted from Development Charge.

I recently went through a similar process with my property. I had an old two-story building and wanted to reconstruct it into a 3.5-story structure. Just like you, I was concerned about the potential development charges (DC), since I was substantially altering the existing structure. I wasn't sure about the exact charges or the differences in DC for Additions & Alterations (A&A) versus a complete rebuild. I decided to get legal and professional advice and approached Brisbane property dispute lawyers. Their team was familiar with such scenarios and helped me understand the legal implications of my redevelopment. They explained that DCs are often calculated based on the increase in land value due to the redevelopment and may vary based on the extent of development. For the A&A vs. rebuild query, they clarified that DCs could differ depending on the nature and scope of the project. As for the on-site inspection, they recommended getting a professional surveyor, whose fees would depend on the complexity of the job. Their guidance was crucial in budgeting accurately for the project and ensuring I was compliant with all local regulations. It was a relief to have such expertise to rely on during a complex redevelopment process