Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
teohlj

Corner terrace

I have a  2 level corner terrace (1700sqf land size) which has unapproved extensions. Mainly the setback at the side does not comply with URA requirement.

Second storey is per original condition. which is very small.  Ideally i want to extend it. Heard that if I want to extend it, the non-compliant structures have to be demolished as submission is required? Is this correct?

Unfortunately i have no budget to do a rebuild.

Next question is, my floor plans from BCA are the original ones, they do not contain the modifications. For me to do a renovation project with an interior designer, do i need to hire someone to re-do the floor plan (e.g. a surveyor?)

Edited by teohlj

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

A google search leads to BCA's website for FAQ which states the following:

To have unauthorised building additions and/ or alterations on your property may pose a safety hazard if the structures were not properly designed by a QP. Furthermore, it is also an offence under the Building Control Act and you will be subject to enforcement action, where appropriate.

JFYI it is unapproved by URA not BCA. It does not have side setback per the requirement of URA. Many in the neighborhood are the same. Anyway hope to get constructive inputs to my question.

All building before any works done will need to be submitted to URA for approval & followed by submission to BCA. Hence it's all link together. Hence my earlier post applies to URA

12 minutes ago, teohlj said:

JFYI it is unapproved by URA not BCA. It does not have side setback per the requirement of URA. Many in the neighborhood are the same. Anyway hope to get constructive inputs to my question.

if you need to submit to URA, then you will need to go through all the inspections and such. if your renovation need not go through URA, then SAF rule 7 will apply.

there are a lot of houses in SG with non-compliant structures so buyers need to be careful when purchasing houses.

you can feedback to URA on why your neighbours can keep their non-compliant structures but you will most likely be digging into a big can of worms and end up your neighbours will be requested to remove these structures. not a good way to start the stay in a new neighbourhood I would say.

BCA not interested in these non-compliant structures. it's URA who is in charge of the planning hence they will be the "police" for this

Edited by snoozee

As your unapproved works are located on side of the ground floor, chances are when you the authorities will need you to demolish, which you will need a PE to check the overall structural integrity to ensure the rest of the structure will not fail during of after the demolition of the unapproved works. In my opinion, likely the authorities will advice a rebuild for safety reason as I do not think any professional would undertake the responsibility should the rest of the building collapse after removing the unapproved works.

4 minutes ago, snoozee said:

if you need to submit to URA, then you will need to go through all the inspections and such. if your renovation need not go through URA, then SAF rule 7 will apply.

there are a lot of houses in SG with non-compliant structures so buyers need to be careful when purchasing houses.

you can feedback to URA on why your neighbours can keep their non-compliant structures but you will most likely be digging into a big can of worms and end up your neighbours will be requested to remove these structures. not a good way to start the stay in a new neighbourhood I would say.

BCA not interested in these non-compliant structures. it's URA who is in charge of the planning hence they will be the "police" for this

It does not matter who will "police" this, my point is simply the property owner will be subject to enforcement. It's just a matter of time.

I would advice the owner not to ignore or delay & to take action to remedy as soon as possible & keep all records.

If & when enforcement do happen, at least you can show to authorities you have taken appropriate steps.

Unfortunately, you'll need to spend on engaging a PE to do all necessary checks & submission for this.

Looking at previous cases, it'll be unwise to wait & hope the hammer will not drop.

my suggestions is that you go and engage an architect or PE to look into this. preferable an architect as they would be in a better position to understand URA's guidelines.

URA allows the retention of non-compliant structures for certain cases. So it really depends on what case you can present to URA via your QP. if URA does allow for the non-compliant structure to be retained, you will most likely need a PE to certify that the non-compliant structure is structurally sound and do submission to BCA.

at the end of the day, I think you need to weigh the cost of doing all these submissions/checks for this non-compliant structure or just having it removed totally.

if you are just planning to do a simple extension, then you could make do with a PE as your QP. but if you need to engage an architect to check on the non-compliant structure, your cost of engaging the architect may end up more than just removing the structure.

eg: engage an architect cost you 8k. demolish the structure cost you 5k. which one would you choose? 

my guess is your non-compliant structure is just a roof canopy which is extended from the side of your house to full cover the 2m open area which many semi-d or corner terrace owners build to provide additional shade. if this is indeed the case, then removing it would be the much cheaper option. the other alternative is to see if the contractor you engage can reduce the canopy to be just 1m wide which will then be compliant to the regulations.

Edited by snoozee

I posted the following on another topic:

For knowing what element can be build on your landed property, go to URA site:

Click on "Property" (Top of site) -> "Residential" -> "Renovating Private Residential Property"

Click on "View" (Land-titled Residential)

Scroll down to click on "Landed Housing eAdvisor"

Use the eAdvisor to select property type & you'll see all the limitation of design, setback requirement, etc.

Use this eAdvisor to check against your property.