Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Brina Boon

Water heater drain off pipe, can use for aircon?

I would like to ask, did anyone with new BTO that have the drain off pipe between the hot and cold pipe for heater, use it for aircon condenser water instead? I wanna have less trunking in the toilet and that drain off pipe seems so redundant and not put in good use. It seems so much better since the pipe is conceal and it goes down all the way to the drain nicely. If anyone did any like this, please share with me. 

IMG_20191230_061817.jpg

IMG_20191230_061718.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

what is the height of the drain off pipe from the ceiling?

an aircon wall mount unit is about 35cm to 40cm tall. so this means the aircon drain pipe will start at about 40cm from the ceiling (assuming the wall unit is installed all the way to the ceiling).

so if your water heater drain pipe is less than 50cm from the ceiling, then you can't use it as the aicon drain pipe as water flows down and not up. unless you install a water pump at your aircon to pump the condensation water upwards then you could use that water heater drain pipe.

If it is low enough, then should be able to use as to connect the water heater drainage just need another t-joint to do the connection.

29 minutes ago, snoozee said:

what is the height of the drain off pipe from the ceiling?

an aircon wall mount unit is about 35cm to 40cm tall. so this means the aircon drain pipe will start at about 40cm from the ceiling (assuming the wall unit is installed all the way to the ceiling).

so if your water heater drain pipe is less than 50cm from the ceiling, then you can't use it as the aicon drain pipe as water flows down and not up. unless you install a water pump at your aircon to pump the condensation water upwards then you could use that water heater drain pipe.

If it is low enough, then should be able to use as to connect the water heater drainage just need another t-joint to do the connection.

It's a new BTO so this pipe is actually at the top, with the water tank heater. Olden kind heater usually have 3 pipes but mine is the newer kind. Don't need this drain out pipe. The bottom part at the 2nd pic goes to the floor. Very near the drain in the toilet area. 

Edited by Brina Boon

I see here a lot of helpful advice. I also had a problem that the water heater drain off the pipe. I thought that I will repair it with my own hands. But this problem gave me only big headaches. So, I called the guys that are working with blocked drains. They came in 20-30 minutes and explained to me what the problem was. I remained delighted that they ended the work in one hour. I am happy with the result that the water heater worked usually. It is always better to contact an expert that trying to resolve it by yourself in such cases.

On 4/22/2021 at 4:55 PM, Shikinami said:

I see here a lot of helpful advice. I also had a problem that the water heater drain off the pipe. I thought that I will repair it with my own hands. But this problem gave me only big headaches. So, I called the guys that are working with blocked drains. They came in 20-30 minutes and explained to me what the problem was. I remained delighted that they ended the work in one hour. I am happy with the result that the water heater worked usually. It is always better to contact an expert that trying to resolve it by yourself in such cases.

It's a very good idea!!