Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Saesao

Reno an old terrace house recommendation and advice

Hi i am planning to buy a 60 yr old terrace house

1600sqft land 2000 sqft build up

Am looking for contractor who can give reno ideas and provide 3D drawing. 

1)Also wanna check viability of doing up a balcony 

2) cost of adding one more storey 200- 400sqft

3) changing all windows to full length ones. Basically allowing more light

4) redoing whole house tiles windows aircin toilets etc

5)for digital door and autogate do we buy separately or from reno company?

Appreciate sharing of quites if u have and recommendation of contractor thank you in advance

Currently thinking of getting trace.sg or wooden platform to be my reno contractor

Edited by Saesao

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

You need to get a PE to check on existing structure to see can add balcony and/or another attic storey or not. Else have to reinforce the existing structure to add the new attic 

cost of adding a new attic could be about 300k if need to reinforce structure since you need to build a new ceiling/floor for the 2nd storey and attic 

digital lock and auto gate depends on whether you want your main con to supply or not. If auto gate supplied separately, main con can choose to impose a profit in attendance on you. 

1 hour ago, snoozee said:

You need to get a PE to check on existing structure to see can add balcony and/or another attic storey or not. Else have to reinforce the existing structure to add the new attic 

cost of adding a new attic could be about 300k if need to reinforce structure since you need to build a new ceiling/floor for the 2nd storey and attic 

digital lock and auto gate depends on whether you want your main con to supply or not. If auto gate supplied separately, main con can choose to impose a profit in attendance on you. 

Hi thank you. Any reliable ID to recommend?

4 hours ago, snoozee said:

You don’t get ID to do major works for a landed house. You need to look for a builder or architect to work on the plans and design

Oh i see. Ok ok 

Hope to get recommendation on builder

On 1/25/2020 at 3:30 PM, snoozee said:

The following is in addition to Snoozee post (Not attacking) to advice Saesao & eveyone else viwing this Topic

This is a common misconception.

If I remember correctly, since the few past incident (eg: Hotel New World, Upper Changi Road bridge collapse, etc), all building are no longer allowed to carry out reinforcement to existing structure for purpose of addition another floor.

I find the majority in this forum thinks adding a floor is like lego.

Imagine your physical body is the existing old building. You go to the mall to shop & have to carry your purchases around. As you proceed with the shopping, you get more to carry  & it will come to a point where you can no longer carry & required a trolley.

Similarly, a building (not just the physical building but also the soil load carrying capacity, piling, footing, etc) is design to carry & support 2 elements. One is the building itself (we call this Dead Load) & the other is everything else contain within the building (we call this Live Load). Hence there is a safety factor / threshold which the Professional Engineer will use as basis for structural design.

So an old building build 50, 60 years ago does not have the same design requirement as now.  Yes, you can still live in it provided no changes to the building. But any addition of floor, extension, etc will have to carry out fresh new submission  & I think it's safe to say 99% of the time, the authorities will tell you to demolish & rebuild for safety reason.

Besides, usually an old landed property will have low ceiling height. So the only way to increase safely is demolish & rebuild.

Another reason. Most of the time when you buy a landed property, you might wish to "potentially" have a return on investment. By rebuilding, the property will, most time, increase in size, which in turn, increase the rental yield, future selling price, etc.

Please understand & change your mindset thinking that adding another floor is simply like lego. When buying an old property, factor in ample cost on the land sale & redevelopment price.

Remember, you get monkey when you pay peanuts. Adjust your expectation accordingly (Don't expect a own a BMW when you pay for price of a bicycle)

Each time the authorities add a regulation, builders / owner incur cost. Example: Previously you don't need another separate Engineer for basement construction (basement as in totally submerge undergound) but now it is required. Hence increase consultant cost for owner. Also, previously there no such thing as noise monitoring, ground vibration monitoring etc. Now it's a must. Previously all piling work can be carried out by hammer. Now is not allowed.

So as more regulation is added, cost goes up.

Just thought I share my sentiment.

Edited by 3Cube
Addition information

55 minutes ago, 3Cube said:

If I remember correctly, since the few past incident (eg: Hotel New World, Upper Changi Road bridge collapse, etc), all building are no longer allowed to carry out reinforcement to existing structure for purpose of addition another floor.

So are you saying if I add an additional floor, I don't need to reinforce? I've seen at least one house in the same row do so. 

Thanks

On 1/25/2020 at 10:54 PM, Saesao said:

Oh i see. Ok ok 

Hope to get recommendation on builder

Look around the forum, see what others have done or used, and then talk to and shortlist about three to talk to in depth.

They should be able to handle everything, even the auto-gate, so you only talk to one person. If you wish to get a designer / ID, they need to work with your builder. Otherwise you have to rely on whatever the builder is capable of doing for you.

Again I emphasize (as always), GET THE PE TO CHECK

The PE would have the knowledge of whether can or cannot as well as the latest codes and requirements from authorities 

from my searches, I can’t find anything on restrictions on reinforcements of structure. Of cos there are hidden rules and regulations which are not privy to people outside the industry

also for PE, there are PE who are kiasu and kiasi. So a kiasu/kiasi PE may also request for piling for a house which may only need footings or even just raft foundation. This could result in a cost difference of 100k or more. 

ultimately if the PE decides that the additions can be done according to what he deems fine, who are we (layman) to judge his call?

3 hours ago, petetherock said:

So are you saying if I add an additional floor, I don't need to reinforce? I've seen at least one house in the same row do so. 

Thanks

Of course not!!!

In the past, owner save by just reinforcement to existing structure (ie: enlarge old columns, addition steel beams to old structure, etc) before addition a new upper storey.

Now, this is no longer allowed if I remember correctly.

Hi Saeso, you will definitely need a PE to check. Also by adding another level which is equivalent to an Attic(as now building are all envelope control), may need to piling, recently. Unless you have a soil report to pass to the PE to assess. 

Strengthening of existing structure , is hard to get authority approval. I worry if the said building is more than 60 years. There could be a possibility that it is only load bearing walls and with Precast block slab. 

My parents used to renovate pretty big houses in pretty bad shapes. While they were working on renovating any given house, we lived in it. It was a very interesting childhood, to say the least, I changed 6 schools over the course of my childhood and teenage years. It was hard but manageable, it had a lot of upsides as well. I was able to meet new people and develop communication skills to a great degree. After I had moved out, I lived in a flat for a long time. Then me and my SO decided to buy a house that we found here https://www.lumina.com.ph/property-listing together. At first, it was honestly pretty jarring, living in a house that does not require renovating. Thankfully, I got used to it.