Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LinDa

Do You Wish For Your Child(ren) To Support You?

no, of course my parents were not shoving the money down my throat BUT the way they saw it, the house was a necessity and the renovations were basic.

ideally, yes, i would hv loved to pay for the house myself, but let's be realistic. newly married, 2 yrs into a govt job and a baby. help was extended for me, and i am forever greatful for it.

i won't knock them up for unnecc. purchases like holidays or upgrade TV etc, that would be unreasonable.

In Singapore, when married young its very difficult to have everything paid by urself. Everything also cost $$$, especially cost is going UP UP :(:( for everything.

Glad and envy those who have kids when they are young, although suffer during the initial yrs, but tends to enjoy when their kids are older.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

our stand: as long as kids are independent and don ask you for handout when you are old, that is already a blessing.

agree with zirhk. it is our mindset that needs to change. my parents are the typical chinese. so basically my siblings n I are expected to take care of their medical, give them allowance... etc.

I don think we can expect the same from the next generation. Times have changed.

No. of course.. Now being a father, I will not let my child(ren) repay me.

My parents although separated long time, yet my dad still bring in money for the family monthly and even say to me and my brothers that if can go university, go ahead.

I always remember my dad's word "I does not except repay but at least had you had a good education or skill to survived in this society."

Edited by kewin

I'll make the effort to save for their education & save for my own retirement. It'll be a bonus if they are willing to support me when I have $0 but I believe I can save enough till my last breathe ($30/day for 30 years when I reach 50)

Let's think back; when a couple decides to have a baby, is it one of the top reasons to support them in old age?? I doubt it, so we should never have this thought at all.

However, its seemed to be in our culture to do so; our forefathers had taken care of their own children, then take care of their own parents and end up having no money to take care of themselves. So it goes with the children taking care of them and end up not having money to take care of themselves too. Its like taking two steps forward and one step backward.

IMO, in order to break this cycle, we must make sure we are can take care of OURSELVES, and not hoping that our children can earn more to take care of us. Whatever they earn is to be spend for the FUTURE, ie for themselves and for their offsprings, not backward for their parents.

Ermm! So you should know where the problem lies, don't you? :P

Although I'm so late reading this post.. I'm so glad someone points this out.. that we all have limited funds and resources.. and limited energy. Taking care of parents and children will surely drain the average person's funds and energy.

Technically when you get married, you'll get two sets of parents.. I'm sure if your partner's parents are ill, you won't hold on to purse strings tight and not give up a cent at all.

So... I'm still single. And looking at my own parents.. I guess marriage is a distant dream. I don't want to have to choose between my parents and my kids... and my own financial independence.

I think the topic.. *support* is not just about giving them money and shelter.. it's also about listening to them, helping them get things done.. Sure.. if you look at your own parents now in their fifties and sixties they are independent and can do everything...

But the day will come when they find it really hard to do things... they get senile cos they are alone all the time or just watching TV, not knowing where to go and what to do. They start to fear when their own friend go one by one and their chat sessions with their friends revolve around who's gone.

Sigh. Ah well.