Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
magix2

Q: Uneven Concrete Flooring

Hi everyone, I would like some help from the reno community.

Basically we did a full reno for a resale flat and in one of the rooms, we had to hack the floor to remove the parquet flooring.

The ID filled the floor with concrete again but now the newly filled floor is higher than the existing one creating a very low slope that runs in the room.

This is hardly perceptible but creates a problem at the door - when closed the floor has a big gap underneath; when pushed open (and moved onto the newly filled section), it has a negligible gap.

My ID has said that is an "inevitable" result of hacking and refilling. From my view, I cant see why the concrete can't have been made level.

I don't want to accuse my ID wrongly too - so can I get some help on this? Is this really inevitable? Or how should I understand it? 

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

parquet would normally be laid on top of screed floor. the parquet itself would have a thickness of about 10 to 12mm for the wood (at this is thickness is what I see in market these days).

you didn't mention what is your floor finish now. assuming that you do not have laid any new floor tiles after the parquet is removed and is just screed/plaster finish, then the contractor would have poured a slightly thicker layer of screed and plaster finish so that your floor would be more hard wearing. else you would  encounter the plaster floor cracking after prolonged use if the layers are too thin.

5 hours ago, snoozee said:

parquet would normally be laid on top of screed floor. the parquet itself would have a thickness of about 10 to 12mm for the wood (at this is thickness is what I see in market these days).

you didn't mention what is your floor finish now. assuming that you do not have laid any new floor tiles after the parquet is removed and is just screed/plaster finish, then the contractor would have poured a slightly thicker layer of screed and plaster finish so that your floor would be more hard wearing. else you would  encounter the plaster floor cracking after prolonged use if the layers are too thin.

Thanks - I have overlaid vinyl over the entire house . I guess I am just confused as to why this new layer of screed couldn't have been slightly thinner just to match the existing floor so that the final vinyl overlay would be even...

Question is, is the uneven gap there before the renovation?

normally floor will never be graded level and there will be a slight gradient to allow for water flow. So if the floor has been graded to allow water flow in/out of the through the doorway, it sounds right that the gap would not be even since the base of the door is perpendicular to the slope when open.

but there are products in the market which are self leveling screed and these are supposed to provide a level finish to the floor

There is such a specificity when the concrete "moves" in one direction, and it is not that the house is on a slope. The old coating is repaired, thoroughly washed and degreased with an organic solvent. A polyurethane primer is applied to the surface in one or two layers, depending on the evenness of the floor and the absorbency of the inter-tile joints. You also need a concrete sealer, for each mixture, depending on the size of the fractions and its mobility, you must choose an individual vibration mode. By the type of feeding energy, mechanisms are distinguished: electromechanical, electromagnetic, hydraulic, pneumatic, from the internal combustion engine. In the absence of a mechanized tool, it is possible to carry out manual compaction of concrete