Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Renish

Structure within Green Buffer line?

Anybody (individuals or contractors) ever had an experience with building anything on green buffer line zone? 
I’m contemplating buying a semi d but it is along a CAT 2 road (though the entry is not directly from the road), hence there is a 5m green buffer line reserve requirement. I would like to build a swimming pool hence would like to know if anyone experience this before and had any luck on getting permission from the authorities for the same? 

I have already checked with URA, they replied it’s upto NParks to give permission otherwise u cannot build any structure on that piece of land. 

Edited by Renish

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

since URA already told you that NParks will be the deciding authority, just  write in to them to check and confirm. you may also want to check and confirm if the green buffer within the private land actually belongs to the existing house owner or not. can buy the road line plan from INLIS to check as well. there might be changes to the land lot allocation since the house was built. some houses have to vest back their land at zero cost to the government for use as drainage, footpaths, etc once the house is redeveloped.

• Thanks 1

There is a small road line reserve which has to be set back if redeveloping. But the green buffer line shows within the boundary of the land so I took it as it belongs to the owner. But thanks, I will double check and confirm this, didn’t really think of this!  

you can go to onemap and check on the lot view for the property. if you see the green buffer land lot there, most likely the current owner had built the house long ago where the green buffer don't exist, or the house had been illegally extended to encroach into this green buffer. either way if the land lot for the green buffer is clearly demarcated there, the land don't belong to the current house owner and this would need to be returned to the government. so you have to take this into account if you still want to buy the property.

• Thanks 1

Upon checking the green buffer zone does belong to the owner. 
My agent has written to NParks too to check on the swimming pool part. Let’s see how it goes! 
Anyone already with an experience of such approval?? 
Wondering just in case they don’t allow, can I build one on the other side of the semi d, at the adjoining wall side? Guess have to consult an architect. 
It’s the location and the land size that’s luring me lol! 

a sem-d means semi-detached which means that house must be attached to another house on one side. if you do not want to have your house attached to the other side (become a detached house), you can do so BUT there are many conditions to fulfill. assuming that your site is able to fulfill all conditions, the house you want to rebuilt must have the relevant setbacks of at least 2m at each side and the rear and the standard 7.5m at front. also, the site coverage for a detached house is limited to 50%. eg: if your land is 400sqm is size, the footprint of your house can only be up to 200sqm. this limiting factor is what cause some owners who own 2 side by side semi-d units to still retain the houses as semi-d instead of a detached house as they can have more built up areas. not to mention that you will most probably need to pay development charge to URA as you are "upgrading" the house from a semi-d to a detached which increases the value of the land.

of cos you still can build your pool on the side with the party wall but this will mean your house will be inside your house instead.

for your green buffer issue with NParks, your agent can write in to ask. but it is unlikely NParks will give you a clear cut answer now as they may want to see the entire development plan from a QP first before the commit to anything. There are several agencies to approve any building plans and NParks is one of the agencies who need to approve.

• Like 1

Pool is consider ancillary structure and Cat  2 roads got requirement.

Cant post link so... Google for

Ura semi-detached green buffer  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, snoozee said:

this limiting factor is what cause some owners who own 2 side by side semi-d units to still retain the houses as semi-d instead of a detached house as they can have more built up areas. not to mention that you will most probably need to pay development charge to URA as you are "upgrading" the house from a semi-d to a detached which increases the value of the land.

Single dwelling units are always exempted from DC charge even if you are amalgamating two (or even more) semi-detached units into a single detached unit. In fact it is the reverse - subdividing a larger plot with an existing detached house into multiple separate semi-detached houses that will incur development charge as smaller land plots/smaller typologies typically command a higher "per square foot rate".

22 hours ago, Renish said:

Upon checking the green buffer zone does belong to the owner. 
My agent has written to NParks too to check on the swimming pool part. Let’s see how it goes! 
Anyone already with an experience of such approval?? 
Wondering just in case they don’t allow, can I build one on the other side of the semi d, at the adjoining wall side? Guess have to consult an architect. 
It’s the location and the land size that’s luring me lol! 

Swimming pools (whether sunken or raised) are not allowed to be within the green buffer. You will never be able to get approval for it in replacement of the green buffer.

Well, It is not impossible to build a swimming pool on the adjoining wall side and still maintaining it as a semi-detached. You can either "internalize" the swimming pool (whether it is open to sky, or covered - depending on the design/your requirements) meaning it is considered as within the house, or you just still need to maintain a certain percentage of the house still adjoining the neighbour.

How much percentage has to be reasonable of course and will be dependent on URA's evaluation/decision. And how they decide would probably be based on many factors - shape of the land, size, how much of the neighbour is "built" up already etc. Depends on how "creative" the design is lol.

Is there any reason you wouldn't just consider construction it on the "non-adjoining" side?

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, IceEyez said:

Single dwelling units are always exempted from DC charge even if you are amalgamating two (or even more) semi-detached units into a single detached unit. In fact it is the reverse - subdividing a larger plot with an existing detached house into multiple separate semi-detached houses that will incur development charge as smaller land plots/smaller typologies typically command a higher "per square foot rate".

thanks for the clarification. I know DC is applicable when subdividing a big land into smaller plots for terraces/semi-ds but wasn't aware the reverse isn't applicable.

Build the pool after getting yr CSC. Just make sure yr design now does not have any services like sewer, or underground pipes in that area.

Personally, i think pool is the biggest white elephant. Compromise is to provision for some removable decking over it so area can dual use.

• Like 1

haha, I wanted to suggest SAF rule no 7 but didn't want to be explicit. just hope don't get caught later la.

but before start the after CSC works, better know who is staying around you. my friend was intending to extend her kitchen out after CSC but had to give up on this idea after realising that one of the agency's CEO is staying directly behind her house.

• Haha 1