Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Going to install window grilles on my upcoming HDB, but is concerned about the safety of the invisible grilles. I saw videos on how easily the invisible grilles wire can be cut and burnt. Anyone had any experience to try to burn or cut the wires? I saw the company doing those videos is part of Endo Grilles, thus should be true, right? Since they are also selling invisible grilles?

Please advice

Edited by Jon Lee1995

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Those videos are true. I went over to their showroom and the company (Diamond Grille Systems Pte. Ltd) gave me a live demonstration between their diamond grille system vs the invisible grille. When they burn and cut the invisible grille wire, I was shocked but I was still a bit not too convinced, I am unsure what kind of wires are other invisible grille companies using, so I went to a few of the invisible grilles companies to verify, and the ones they have are using the same wires or similar wires shown to me during the demo, strands of small wires (like those electrical wires) with plastic coating. Then I was convinced about their diamond grille system, they are using a tiny solid steel bar instead of these small wires with plastic coating used in invisible grilles. During the demo, I did try to cut and burn their diamond grille wires, and indeed I can’t cut or burn it. Their diamond grille wire looks as thin as the invisible grilles ones, so I decided to use their diamond grille system instead, especially when my friend shown me their invisible grille, some of the plastic coatings on the wires have peeled off and it looked terrible.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Ken Tan HY

Ken,

Do you mean that their diamond grille system are using a tiny solid steel bar with no plastic coating?

Did you try to burn or cut the other company's invisible grille wires?

How about the look and feel of their diamond grille system? 

Their diamond grille system uses a tiny solid steel wire, and there's no plastic coating, so I don't have to worry about the plastic coating peeling off. I didn't cut or burn the other invisible grille wires, I don't think they will allow me to do so on their displays, so I didn't even ask. To me, the diamond grille system looks similar to the invisible grille, only that they changed the wires into the solid steel wires. I guess it's better you go down to their showroom and see the differences

My SIL was changing her old invisible grille as the plastic coating have peeled off and began to rust, so I asked my husband to try.

OMG, I was shocked to see her invisible grille burn so easily!!! My husband went on to cut her invisible grille, and the invisible grille line was cut apart after a few tries.

Initially, my husband and I didn't really want to install the invisible grilles but have no choice as the management don't allow aluminum grilles. The invisible grille feel very filmy and unsafe, but we need it for our kid. Now, after trying out these experiments on our own, it confirms our fear.

I looked into diamond grille system website (www.dgs.com.sg) and it looks much stronger than invisible grilles, so we will go down to their showroom to have a look first, and ask them for a demonstration.

Yvonnechee,

How old was your sister-in-law's invisible grille?

On 8/18/2020 at 9:37 AM, Yvonnechee said:

My SIL was changing her old invisible grille as the plastic coating have peeled off and began to rust, so I asked my husband to try.

OMG, I was shocked to see her invisible grille burn so easily!!! My husband went on to cut her invisible grille, and the invisible grille line was cut apart after a few tries.

Initially, my husband and I didn't really want to install the invisible grilles but have no choice as the management don't allow aluminum grilles. The invisible grille feel very filmy and unsafe, but we need it for our kid. Now, after trying out these experiments on our own, it confirms our fear.

I looked into diamond grille system website (www.dgs.com.sg) and it looks much stronger than invisible grilles, so we will go down to their showroom to have a look first, and ask them for a demonstration.

Their invisible grille has been changed by the manufacturer before, but still the plastic coating peeled off after another 2+ years. My bro and SIL all gave up liao, but their main concern is that the exposed wires will rust and break easily. 

My husband and I went down for the live demonstration at Diamond Grille Systems Pte Ltd, and saw how easy the invisible grille cuts and burns. For their Diamond Grille, there's no plastic coating, and it uses a very hard solid wire instead of the flimsy invisible grille wire, and they are providing 15 years warranty on their wires for rusting. My husband tried cutting and burning the Diamond Grille himself, but he couldn't do it.

I understand from Diamond Grille Systems Pte Ltd is that after years of installing invisible grilles, they understand the problems with the invisible grilles, thus inventing the diamond grilles.

Although the diamond grille is more expensive than the invisible grille, my husband and I feel it's more worth it as we are installing it for our kids. Nothing is more important than their safety, and we don't have to worry about it for the next 15 years.

My advice is to go down to the Diamond Grille Systems showroom, and see the differences personally before making your decision 

1362440392_WhatsAppImage.jpeg.c99bd0997026f19ca80444a9e2e89f3d.jpeg

On 8/21/2020 at 9:18 AM, Jon Lee1995 said:

Yvonnechee,

How old was your sister-in-law's invisible grille?

Edited by Yvonnechee

OMG, I saw the report of the fire at Toa Payoh which happened two days ago!!!

www.mothership.sg/2020/08/toa-payoh-flat-fire/

The fire started at the lower unit, and spread onto the top unit, and both units using invisible grilles!

Since the invisible grille wire can caught fire easily, the upper unit's invisible grille could have caught fire from the lower unit and spread the fire!!!

image.png.fae83ea514420c05162a98b56ad4f5fb.png

Cover-Photo-40.png

image.png.5e459d844036e6d94d70508889a5ad84.png

Edited by Jon Lee1995

I saw those photos from SCDF's facebook, it's horrifying. There's so many household fires these few months, I am wondering the clause of these fires! Imagine losing your beloved home to the fire, I really pity these 2 owners, especially the unit on top.

Now my bro and SIL are very concerned about their invisible grilles, I asked them to change to Diamond Grille System since its fire proof, but they don't want to spend another sum of money to replace their current invisible grilles, so they moved their stuffs inwards away from their windows. Not the best solution, but at least it's something

On 9/9/2020 at 11:57 AM, Yvonnechee said:

I saw those photos from SCDF's facebook, it's horrifying. There's so many household fires these few months, I am wondering the clause of these fires! Imagine losing your beloved home to the fire, I really pity these 2 owners, especially the unit on top.

Now my bro and SIL are very concerned about their invisible grilles, I asked them to change to Diamond Grille System since its fire proof, but they don't want to spend another sum of money to replace their current invisible grilles, so they moved their stuffs inwards away from their windows. Not the best solution, but at least it's something

Ya there's I think 3-4 fires on the news within these 2-3 months

My friend installed the invisible grilles, and she was complaining how soft the invisible grilles feels. She demonstrated to me how easy it was for her to pull the invisible grille wires apart with her bare hands. The company who did that invisible grille told her it's the best they can do and it's normal for a balcony as the wires are long, they even installed a horizontal invisible grille across but it's still so soft. She's very worried that if her kids were to climb up a stool, they can easily slip through the gaps. 

image.png.5e9661c302db49a1554e04b46d918735.png

image.png.97a69a5ad274a896c85b82a93ac10864.png

Edited by Suzanne Wee

On 10/1/2020 at 1:17 PM, Suzanne Wee said:

My friend installed the invisible grilles, and she was complaining how soft the invisible grilles feels. She demonstrated to me how easy it was for her to pull the invisible grille wires apart with her bare hands. The company who did that invisible grille told her it's the best they can do and it's normal for a balcony as the wires are long, they even installed a horizontal invisible grille across but it's still so soft. She's very worried that if her kids were to climb up a stool, they can easily slip through the gaps. 

image.png.5e9661c302db49a1554e04b46d918735.png

image.png.97a69a5ad274a896c85b82a93ac10864.png

OMG, what's the point of installing the invisible grille if it can be so flimsy!!! My husband and I are so glad we installed the Diamond Grille System instead, the tension in our Diamond Grille System is high enough so my hubby to strum it like his guitar, but most importantly, it's strong enough to keep my kids safe!

OMG I saw this video demonstration how easy it is to squeeze through the invisible grille, and the demonstrator is an adult. I can't imagine how a child can just easily slip through the gaps of the invisible grille! When i shown it to my friend, she was speechless, she has spent $2K+ for her balcony's invisible grille and it can't give her a peace of mind ?

OMG, I am speechless as well, how's the invisible grilles going to protect my kids from slipping out the windows? I have been dragging my feet to visit Diamond Grille System showroom, but after watching this video, I am getting my wife over next week and see the differences ourselves