Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mandm

Shifting car access gate of semi d and PE/surveyor fees

10 hours ago, Topline said:

Why does Npark need to approve your own tree removal? Does the 1.6k include the removal itself?

Haha, anything outside your land boundary doesn’t belong to you, literally. NParks even claim possession of your trees in tree conservation zones.😓

Contractors hoping to cut the trees outside normal office hours or weekends, there is google map street view which has about 9 months of old street views before it’s updated. The agencies can use these to their advantage.😅

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
19 minutes ago, AWS said:

Haha, anything outside your land boundary doesn’t belong to you, literally. NParks even claim possession of your trees in tree conservation zones.😓

Contractors hoping to cut the trees outside normal office hours or weekends, there is google map street view which has about 9 months of old street views before it’s updated. The agencies can use these to their advantage.😅

sometimes things inside your boundary also doesn't belong to you. I have an incoming power cable running through my land to supply power for my neighbour as last time it was joined to my house before splitting to the neighbour's house. lucky i managed to talk to my neighbour to have the new distribution box relocated on their side after relocation else i will have another unsightly box within my property as I am obliged by law to maintain this access for my neighbour.

Yes, not to mention ICs and also the main sewage ‘highway’ pipe running through one’s plot. PUB has every right to gain access to conduct inspection/rectification works if there’s any choke downstream or upstream.

4 hours ago, snoozee said:

it's not my tree. it's planted within the pedestrian kerb itself as i do not have a planting/green verge outside. i had to remove it so that it allows for me to open up the new access to my house as previously there isn't any space for vehicle access. But i did not have to plant back any new tree though since there's no space to replace it.

removal and disposal is done by my contractor. BUT this was done after we had gotten the approval from NParks. Can't just remove any trees without approval (even if within own house) if the girth of the tree is above 1m and your property is in a trees conservation zone or originally a empty plot of land. will get fined for any removal without consulting NParks first.

submission fee is for them to assess the development plans and give approval. exact amount is $1605 ($1500 plus 7% GST)

Hi Snoozee,

I'm considering widening my gate to 4.5m wide as well and I have 3-4 trees in the pedestrian kerb outside. In your opinion, is the likelihood in general high for NParks to approve removing the tree/trees? How much did you pay for the removal/disposal?

41 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Hi Snoozee,

I'm considering widening my gate to 4.5m wide as well and I have 3-4 trees in the pedestrian kerb outside. In your opinion, is the likelihood in general high for NParks to approve removing the tree/trees? How much did you pay for the removal/disposal?

you need to check if you have enough kerb width left on both sides first after widening to 4.5m. if you don't have that, you can only adjust up to the max you can after factoring in the 6m kerb width on both sides so that roadside parking still can be achieved. your corner terrace might be a bit tricky as your attached neighbour side may not give you the 6m width required. so you have to see your detached side has enough space or not.

after you determine that there is enough space, you need to get a QP to submit the drawings to NParks to see what they say about the trees. I won't know what kind of directions NParks will issue since they would most likely assess each application based on the circumstances.

removal and disposal was done by my main contactor who built my house. part of the construction cost.

Edited by snoozee

22 minutes ago, snoozee said:

you need to check if you have enough kerb width left on both sides first after widening to 4.5m. if you don't have that, you can only adjust up to the max you can after factoring in the 6m kerb width on both sides so that roadside parking still can be achieved. your corner terrace might be a bit tricky as your attached neighbour side may not give you the 6m width required. so you have to see your detached side has enough space or not.

after you determine that there is enough space, you need to get a QP to submit the drawings to NParks to see what they say about the trees. I won't know what kind of directions NParks will issue since they would most likely assess each application based on the circumstances.

removal and disposal was done by my main contactor who built my house. part of the construction cost.

I'm lucky in the sense that my main gate is not adjacent to my neighbours. I currently have about 12-13m of kerb width between my gate and my neighbour's so should be more than enough as in 

My gate (current 3.5m)----12-13m of kerb---My neighbour's gate (~3.5m)

14 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

I'm lucky in the sense that my main gate is not adjacent to my neighbours. I currently have about 12-13m of kerb width between my gate and my neighbour's so should be more than enough as in 

My gate (current 3.5m)----12-13m of kerb---My neighbour's gate (~3.5m)

if you got enough space then you need to get a QP to do up all the drawings and submissions for you. also need to buy the road line plan from SLA. best is also do a land survey of the property so that all the dimensions can be correctly measures. the QP will use this certified survey drawings to base the new architectural/structural drawings on.

21 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Hi Snoozee,

Are you in a tree conservation area? If not, then almost certainly you can remove the trees. It is unlikely you have some super mature rare tree outside along your kerb that Nparks will insist on keeping.

Instead, as part of their conditional to allow to remove, Nparks may request for you to plant back some tree at another location. along the kerb.

Should be not an issue if not in any TCA, but of course as always, you need to get a QP to submit to Nparks/LTA/PUB for actual approval before doing any works.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:50 AM, IceEyez said:

Are you in a tree conservation area? If not, then almost certainly you can remove the trees. It is unlikely you have some super mature rare tree outside along your kerb that Nparks will insist on keeping.

Instead, as part of their conditional to allow to remove, Nparks may request for you to plant back some tree at another location. along the kerb.

Should be not an issue if not in any TCA, but of course as always, you need to get a QP to submit to Nparks/LTA/PUB for actual approval before doing any works.

I believe I'm just outside the central tree conservation area. The issue is that the current owner planted 4-5 trees within a 5-6m wide kerb space outside the house. Along with large potted plants, it looks a like a small jungle. Thus, I also want to declutter the area as well by removing some of the trees.

1 hour ago, Kellhound said:

I believe I'm just outside the central tree conservation area. The issue is that the current owner planted 4-5 trees within a 5-6m wide kerb space outside the house. Along with large potted plants, it looks a like a small jungle. Thus, I also want to declutter the area as well by removing some of the trees.

Trees planted in the ground need to submit to NParks for approval to remove. Potted plants just get your contractor to dispose of them if you don’t want them

On 2/24/2021 at 7:50 AM, snoozee said:

Yes, NParks would be involved on the planting verge. Pedestrian kerb is under LTA. if NParks is involved, a fee also need to be paid to them. I paid around 1.6k just for them to approve the plans for a tree removal.

If the house's external drain already had been covered up by PUB previously, then no need to redo the box culvert. so PUB may or may not be involved.

Approvals is not the issue as long as all drawings are in order. It's the taking over that is troublesome these days and the agencies will take their time to response. eg: BCA will take the full 7 working days to respond. PUB official time frame is 3 weeks but sometime lucky can get response in 2 weeks plus. LTA takes 4 weeks to respond. so a lot of time is wasted just waiting for approval/rejection before something can be done to rectify the works if needed

Also considering moving the meter box. From discussions in this thread, costs is about $10k for LEW services, government approvals, new meters and another $10k for box culvert, shifting the kerb and approvals. Am i missing any other costs?

1 hour ago, Topline said:

Also considering moving the meter box. From discussions in this thread, costs is about $10k for LEW services, government approvals, new meters and another $10k for box culvert, shifting the kerb and approvals. Am i missing any other costs?

don't forget the cost of PUB (1K+) and the licensed plumber cost for shifting the water meter as well.

you also need to factor in the costs of laying new incoming cables from your new meter box to your main DB inside the house. excavation of land to put in the new underground pipes. running of new cables from main DB to meter box for your motorised gate and gate pillar lights. if you have video door bell, then also need to run the appropriate power cables and communications cables from inside the house to your meter box. depending on your video doorbell system, you may need another junction box near/on the meter box to install the necessary transformer and/or control boxes for your video doorbell.

You need to inform NLT on the shifting of the fiber cable as well and have them shift it for you first. else pay 1k+ for them to rerun a new fiber from the outside distribution point to your new meter box and your own contractor has to run a new fiber cable from the meter box to the termination point inside your house.

also there is the cost of the new main gate (with swing/sliding gate mechanism) and side gate (if you have separate one) as well as the re-laying of floor tiles for your driveway.

so in total, you are looking at a total cost of maybe 30k and up for the entire scope of work for shifting the main access.

my advise is for you to work out the minor details like auto-gate and video doorbell especially on their wiring requirements first. cos if you don't nail down the wiring requirements at the start, you can't determine how many underground pipes you need to run and how many pipe conduits you need to place inside the meterbox and you will have problems retrofitting these in future without the conduits in place.

Just to share, see how many pipe conduits I have from the house going into the meter box.

IMG_3558 (1).jpg

Edited by snoozee

Thanks Snoozee. Do i need a PE to be involved in this? 

Also, if i move the meter box out, facing out, the sliding gate will open across the face of the meter box. Would this be problematic? Just concerned that if for any reason the meter box door is not closed properly, the sliding door gate will knock it....

58 minutes ago, Topline said:

Thanks Snoozee. Do i need a PE to be involved in this? 

Also, if i move the meter box out, facing out, the sliding gate will open across the face of the meter box. Would this be problematic? Just concerned that if for any reason the meter box door is not closed properly, the sliding door gate will knock it....

PE definitely. your box culvert needs to be designed by a PE and submitted to the various authorities. later on a post-con survey also needs to be done as well to submit to authorities.

if your meter box is setback enough for the gate to clear, then shouldn't be an issue. normally the meter box is built right up to the boundary. but if your gate is going to be at the boundary, then your meter box and boundary wall needs to be set back instead so that your gate track can be installed. also the meter box electrical compartment is locked and water compartment is latched. not sure if there's any regulations on locking of water compartment but if you are concerned about this, maybe install a lock on the water compartment door as well.

Is it true that main gates that have a guiding track tend to be problematic cos leaves, stones get stuck there and causes a jam? Are there gates without such tracks?