Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mandm

Shifting car access gate of semi d and PE/surveyor fees

17 minutes ago, Topline said:

Is it true that main gates that have a guiding track tend to be problematic cos leaves, stones get stuck there and causes a jam? Are there gates without such tracks?

you can choose sliding gate track is an inverted semi-circle so that the rollers can roll on the track. then won't have the debris issue.

bifold gates can also use same type of tracks or be trackless.

if you want trackless sliding gate, you will need to make sure you have enough width so that there is enough space for the gate's counterweight at the end. these are cantilevered gates which come with/without a roller/wheel with no tracks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
11 hours ago, snoozee said:

you can choose sliding gate track is an inverted semi-circle so that the rollers can roll on the track. then won't have the debris issue.

bifold gates can also use same type of tracks or be trackless.

if you want trackless sliding gate, you will need to make sure you have enough width so that there is enough space for the gate's counterweight at the end. these are cantilevered gates which come with/without a roller/wheel with no tracks.

Hi Snoozee,

I've been sourcing for gates, especially bifold ones as they are trackless. However, quite a few vendors discouraged me as they said that the bifold mechanism is a common point of failure. They added that there must be a reason why bifold gates are rather rare in Singapore. 

How has your experience been with the bifold gate?

6 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Hi Snoozee,

I've been sourcing for gates, especially bifold ones as they are trackless. However, quite a few vendors discouraged me as they said that the bifold mechanism is a common point of failure. They added that there must be a reason why bifold gates are rather rare in Singapore. 

How has your experience been with the bifold gate?

There are also bifold with tracks. My in-laws has a tracked bifold gate and it’s been around for more than 10 years with not much issues. 
cant comment on mine as mine installed for less than one year. But so far so good

Do bifold gates have a built-in “people” gate for people to walk through without having to open the whole bifold gates? Concerned that in a power outage, no one can come home or leave...

Is best to have a seperate pedestrian gate if space allows. Open close for every human traffic is heavy wear and tear on the mechanism. The weight of the gate is increased by extra framing. If the human gate is accidently left open when bifold gate is activated, there will be a very interesting conversation in the household. Anyway if power failure, the mechanism have a manual bypass key to allow manual operation of gate.

2 hours ago, Topline said:

Do bifold gates have a built-in “people” gate for people to walk through without having to open the whole bifold gates? Concerned that in a power outage, no one can come home or leave...

up to you to design your gate. the "side gate" can be added in the main bifold gate if you want. but do note that this becomes a cut out in the main gate so if you have tall people, need to bend down to go through else risk knocking the head as well as having to step over the bottom frame (risk of tripping).

it is highly recommended to either do a separate side gate or integrated one rather than relying on opening the main gate to get in/out. 

do note that for comfortable movement through the side gate, a width of 800mm is recommended. so take not of this size when you design your bifold gate.

7 hours ago, yoongf said:

Is best to have a seperate pedestrian gate if space allows. Open close for every human traffic is heavy wear and tear on the mechanism. The weight of the gate is increased by extra framing. If the human gate is accidently left open when bifold gate is activated, there will be a very interesting conversation in the household. Anyway if power failure, the mechanism have a manual bypass key to allow manual operation of gate.

The manual bypass key is activated from inside or outside or both?

2 hours ago, Topline said:

The manual bypass key is activated from inside or outside or both?

Depends on where your door arms are installed. The key is plugged into the arm to bypass. See the photo of my bifold door arm

E46B59A6-CF54-4AD5-AC6A-EA8F90946103.jpeg