Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Tubo

Oil based sealer

Decide to DIY something so I brought a can of oil based sealer. Forgot to check what is used for? On the can it is just listed 8080 oil based sealer. There is nothing saying for wall or for wood in instruction. 

On these sealer didn't mention anything. Is it can be used for both wall and wood?

By the way, can I apply water base paint on oil based sealer? Can I apply oil based paint on water based sealer?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Tubo,

I would check with the supplier or paint shop. Generally, it shouldn’t be an issue. Sealers seal the substrate and provide adhesion for the subsequent basecoats. Just check if you are worried about woodcare, or if your wood is expensive. 

It shouldn’t be an issue to apply water-based paints on an oil-based sealer, or vice versa. Theoretically, the oil or water vehicle evaporates, leaving behind the “sealer film or paint film”. Anything applied on this should be fine... I think :) 

If I were to DIY, water-based would be easier to clean, less odour and quicker drying. Oil-based are generally more durable. For high moisture areas, I suggest exterior wall paints that are more water resistant and less chances to habe mould due to added biocides. 

4 hours ago, Nickolas said:

Hi Tubo,

I would check with the supplier or paint shop. Generally, it shouldn’t be an issue. Sealers seal the substrate and provide adhesion for the subsequent basecoats. Just check if you are worried about woodcare, or if your wood is expensive. 

It shouldn’t be an issue to apply water-based paints on an oil-based sealer, or vice versa. Theoretically, the oil or water vehicle evaporates, leaving behind the “sealer film or paint film”. Anything applied on this should be fine... I think :) 

If I were to DIY, water-based would be easier to clean, less odour and quicker drying. Oil-based are generally more durable. For high moisture areas, I suggest exterior wall paints that are more water resistant and less chances to habe mould due to added biocides. 

Thank you Nickolas. I have forgot where I brought it. Some of my wall area is moisture area and the paint drop off. I already check there is no water leakage issue. So it is near toilet due to moisture. So I removed these paint chips and decide to use oil based sealer for long term strong purpose. I know it will make a messy and takes long time to dry. I have some Ikea Pine wood things. In the same time, I am thinking may be I can paint these pine wood things also after paint the wall sealer. After that I may apply some water based wood paint on top of oil based sealer to these Pine wood things.

I see. In those high moisture areas, if you don’t mind the paint to be so smooth, go for exterior paint. Those kind they use to paint HDB. Interior paints tend to be smoother, but only the premium paints more resistant to chipping, chalking, peeling issues, and with some mould resistance. Those Nippon Matex for ceiling tends to be not resistant to mould. 

Paint wood you may want to look into wood paint to get a correct look (accent grains, correct glossiness etc.) wall paint you may likely just cover it up and maybe not so nice already.