Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Dariusme

Help/Advise needed for reconstruction

2 hours ago, Dariusme said:

My bad, yes my house is semi d and is facing slightly north west with the west side not join to the other house. That’s the side that is hot hot hot haha. Maybe can do some tall trees or plants but my wife want a swimming pool. 
Anyone happens to have some reliable builder or designer to recommend ?

as mentioned, if your neighbour on the west side is already built up, then their house would provide some shading for your house so the west sun won't be that bad. only the front part will get hit by the sun. if not built up, then would mean it's fully exposed to the sun. my house is facing similar direction as yours and the late afternoon sun gets into the house when the sun gets lower. i'm just waiting for window films to be put in to mitigate this problem.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
3 hours ago, snoozee said:

as mentioned, if your neighbour on the west side is already built up, then their house would provide some shading for your house so the west sun won't be that bad. only the front part will get hit by the sun. if not built up, then would mean it's fully exposed to the sun. my house is facing similar direction as yours and the late afternoon sun gets into the house when the sun gets lower. i'm just waiting for window films to be put in to mitigate this problem.

Haha, mine also same facing, afternoon sun is terribly bad, especially at the attic

Darius 

i would site any water heater tanks on that side while avoiding air con compressors if I can. Save electricity and $$ 

will be great to have a pool and you can have it all the way to the boundary wall - keep it above ground partially at least and less than 1.2m deep ? 

1 hour ago, George Yeo said:

Haha, mine also same facing, afternoon sun is terribly bad, especially at the attic

yours I think is worse as your west side is now just a brick wall. if your stairs is situated on that side of the wall, it would mitigate the problem. the heat absorbed by the brick during the day will be emitted back into the house during the night so will make rooms warmer or harder to cool down. Basically the brick wall will act as a thermal mass to heat/cool down the house

Edited by snoozee

1 hour ago, snoozee said:

yours I think is worse as your west side is now just a brick wall. if your stairs is situated on that side of the wall, it would mitigate the problem. the heat absorbed by the brick during the day will be emitted back into the house during the night so will make rooms warmer or harder to cool down. Basically the brick wall will act as a thermal mass to heat/cool down the house

Haha, no choice got to live with from now on...

So your side wall is hit by the sun too? I was thinking to plant some tall trees and also have full window and put insulator solar film instead of wall at the side hit by sun

16 minutes ago, Dariusme said:

So your side wall is hit by the sun too? I was thinking to plant some tall trees and also have full window and put insulator solar film instead of wall at the side hit by sun

your trees will grow taller day by day. today provide you with shade doesn't mean 5 years later will still have the same amount of shade. :P

It depends on whether you want a pool... leaves and pool make bad partners.. trees also need trimming, and they can fall sick..

I have a 5m tall bonsai, and it's lovely but it's not easy to trim.. 

On 9/13/2020 at 1:22 PM, snoozee said:

If you have not bought the DIP and SIP for this house, please go and buy first to see if there are other deal breakers for this house. If there are drainage and sewerage issues/restrictions for this house, then it would be better to just walk away and find something else as these drainage and sewerage issues would cause more problems which sometimes can’t be solved by money

Can you share what kind of problems can be caused by these lines? I saw a house with a drainage  reserve line across the front of (and inside) the plot and that plot also had a sewer line across the backyard area. 

What are the building restrictions on these lines? Ok if it is just the garden and car porch built over the drainage reserve line and the back yard over the sewer line?

Prob most important, can the government seize the part of the land with the drainage line???!.

Edited by Topline

1 hour ago, Topline said:

Can you share what kind of problems can be caused by these lines? I saw a house with a drainage  reserve line across the front of (and inside) the plot and that plot also had a sewer line across the backyard area. 

What are the building restrictions on these lines? Ok if it is just the garden and car porch built over the drainage reserve line and the back yard over the sewer line?

Prob most important, can the government seize the part of the land with the drainage line???!.

For sewer, your building needs to be set back from the sewer unless you build a RC trench to protect the sewer. 

for drainage reserve, the government can request you to vest that part of the land back to them at no cost when they need it

3 hours ago, snoozee said:

For sewer, your building needs to be set back from the sewer unless you build a RC trench to protect the sewer. 

for drainage reserve, the government can request you to vest that part of the land back to them at no cost when they need it

Wow - request at no cost! Has that happened before? I would imagine that many houses have drainage reserve lines under them?

What’s the set back distance for the sewer line? 

5 hours ago, Topline said:

Wow - request at no cost! Has that happened before? I would imagine that many houses have drainage reserve lines under them?

What’s the set back distance for the sewer line? 

I’m sure had happened before. I saw ura info before on land being vested to government for bus stop at no cost

sewer setback is 1m on each side of the sewer. So if the sewer line is 3m inside the rear boundary, the building’s setback would have to be at 4m unless the RC trench is built

edited:

below info from a URA WP on land vested to Government for road widening. Basically once the original house is redeveloped, the land where the reserves are would be carved out and be vested to the government FOC.

Subdivision of land into 2 plots as follows:
Plot 1 - verged red, to contain an existing <redacted>
Plot 2 - verged red, for street reserve to be vested to the State;

PLANNING CONDITIONS
a) The applicant shall vest or cause to be vested Plot 2 in the State with vacant possession and
free from encumbrances street reserve(s) as required by Land Transport Authority for the
construction of any new street or to widen, open, enlarge or otherwise improve any existing
street, without the Government or the Land Transport Authority making any payment or
giving any consideration whatsoever for the same, prior to the issue of the Certificate of
Statutory Completion by the Building and Construction Authority.
b) There is no false or misleading information statement or particular furnished by the applicant
or his agent in relation to the application referred to in Part 1.
c) The certifications and/or declarations contained in the application referred to in the above
are true and accurate. Where it is subsequently established that the said certifications
and/or declarations are untrue or inaccurate, this permission shall be liable to be cancelled
by the Competent Authority.

Edited by snoozee