Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Dear experts, 

I am interested in a 2-storey inter terrace which was built 25 years ago. 

If I were to add on an attic, may I check that the following is correct? 

1. The attic can be added on without additional structural support if the 25 y old structure is deemed strong enough. I understand this would require a PE to certify.

2. The attic is to be added on only with additional structural support 

In the case of 1 and 2 above, what is the estimated cost range including the re-roofing etc?

Lastly, anyone has done addition of attic and can share your builder? 

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Yes, a PE would need to look at the existing plans to see if the existing structure can take the weight of the new attic storey or not. You will definitely need new structure members for the attic floor or/and the new roof unless the existing house already has a RC roof which means you only need new columns and beams for the new roof  

normally the floor of an attic is cast together with the building’s columns for a new built. But for addition of attic, the PE may opt for a different design after taking into account of the existing structural design. As casting a new RC floor may overload the existing structure, the PE may design the new floor using mainly steel beams and columns with some kind of decking system.

from previous posts by others who had asked for quotes before, adding of an attic would be at least 300k and up