Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Guys, just to check if anyone has experience or recommendation for width of a lap pool. Will 1.5m width be too small? I know ideal is 2m but because we need to have a deck walk path which is around 60cm so if having a 2m width pool means it’s around 2.6m from boundary which east into the house space. Anyone has seen 1.5m width pool before and will it be too narrow?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi bro

It's a nice idea to have a pool, but some logistics:

- I think you need to check your arm span. You can't plan exactly to that, you need some leeway - you don't always swim straight haha. Unless you only do the freestyle, it can't be that narrow.

- as for the path, as mentioned in the pm. You should check your workflow - eg since you have a semi d, you can go into the pool from the side, and so you don't need a path. Otherwise it will eat into the width of the pool. 1.5 + 0.6 = 2.1m. Thats a nice width. Don't forget about the boundary wall and you do want a solid side wall to withstand the stress of the wall. I would suggest a concrete job, rather than those vinyl lined stuff. 

It will last for > 10 years.

Remember to budget in for maintenance, and cleaning etc. Good luck~

If you feel it's a waste of land, then it may not for you bro.. like I said, you have to check if you can swim properly in a 1.5m width pool so it doesn't become a fancy fish tank immediately.. 

It has to be what you'll use and enjoy..

I use mine daily, and even when I don't swim in it, I just sit down in it and soak.. 

It's very relaxing. At night I take swims too and it's a nice feeling swimming in a lit watery world..

I put my thoughts here:

3 hours ago, Dariusme said:

If need to plan for 2m then it will Be 2+0.6+0.4 for the wall and concrete at both side. This will be like additional 1m waste of the land 

Your pool can be whatever width you want and the upper storeys need not be die die beyond the pool width. 
If your pool is until 3m from the boundary, your upper storeys still can be 2m from the boundary. The PE just need to design the 2nd storey beams to be cantilevered out and problem solved. 

a building no need to have columns die die at each corner as long as the beams can be counter balanced or pulled back in some way

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I will still do up the pool as my wife and kids want it. Do you guys have your builders include it into your package or it makes more sense to buy it ourself separately using some better brands?

26 minutes ago, Dariusme said:

Thanks everyone for the insight. I think I will still do up the pool as my wife and kids want it. Do you guys have your builders include it into your package or it makes more sense to buy it ourself separately using some better brands?

if your pool is going to be in-ground, can't buy it elsewhere. your architect would need to put in into the initial design for URA's approval and the builder construct it as part of the contract

1 hour ago, Dariusme said:

Your builder is likely to get help if he doesn’t do it, do ask  

or you can find someone yourself and get your architect to coordinate 

BTW I checked my own arm span before I built my pool - it’s 1.8m so I only get 10 cm on each side to paddle and avoid hitting the side walls. 

You should check too and see how much Parton do you need. 

Do consider installing a counter current system - you won’t need a very long pool then. 

12 hours ago, petetherock said:

Your builder is likely to get help if he doesn’t do it, do ask  

or you can find someone yourself and get your architect to coordinate 

BTW I checked my own arm span before I built my pool - it’s 1.8m so I only get 10 cm on each side to paddle and avoid hitting the side walls. 

You should check too and see how much Parton do you need. 

Do consider installing a counter current system - you won’t need a very long pool then. 

What’s a counter current system?

I got this off a propertyguru ad.. I think this is about as narrow as you can get. But it will fit nicely.

Look up "Bungalow with Elevator in Changi District 17"

Can't post links here... 

image.png.4d2fbd32c90e6daf14360b224419831b.png

On 10/17/2020 at 10:24 AM, Dariusme said:

Guys, just to check if anyone has experience or recommendation for width of a lap pool. Will 1.5m width be too small? I know ideal is 2m but because we need to have a deck walk path which is around 60cm so if having a 2m width pool means it’s around 2.6m from boundary which east into the house space. Anyone has seen 1.5m width pool before and will it be too narrow?

Hi, 

Mine is a sunken pool. My builder suggest to demolish the boundary wall n when he build the the concrete wall - like a  “frame” for pool, the boundary sits on one side of the frame so that the pool is like glue to the wall. Can visualise? U save 0.3 or 0.4m there. The other side will have 0.3 or 0.4m ( cant remb) as the other side of the frame n 0.6m as walking deck. Ours is an old house in original state so to prevent future problems due to the stress of the pool, we do it from scratch. 

10 hours ago, Evelyn lee said:

Hi, 

Mine is a sunken pool. My builder suggest to demolish the boundary wall n when he build the the concrete wall - like a  “frame” for pool, the boundary sits on one side of the frame so that the pool is like glue to the wall. Can visualise? U save 0.3 or 0.4m there. The other side will have 0.3 or 0.4m ( cant remb) as the other side of the frame n 0.6m as walking deck. Ours is an old house in original state so to prevent future problems due to the stress of the pool, we do it from scratch. 

normally party walls are about 200mm thick after the plastering of the wall.

if budget is not an issue, then by all means go with what your builder suggested. do note that if the boundary wall is demolished, it should be totally be torn down rather than only for a certain part. else if the new wall is joined to the old wall, the wall may develop cracks over the years at the joint area. do also note that to rebuilt boundary walls is going to cost you another few tens of thousands.
somehow I have the feeling that your builder suggested this so that the cost of the boundary walls can be borne by you rather than him. since you are building a sunken pool (I believe end to end), there needs to be digging down into the soil to build the pool and there is a high chance that the boundary wall will collapse due to the digging as the foundation of the boundary wall may not be deep enough. eg: foundation for wall is 500mm deep but you are digging 1.2m deep for your pool.

anyway, work out with your builder on the cost of the pool with or without tearing down the boundary wall and then decide from there.

I'm assuming that since you mentioned it's a sunken pool, you're digging the full 1.2m depth and a bit more for the concrete rebar.. If it's sunken, you'll need the concrete rebar type of pool...

That's pretty deep and as snoozee has mentioned, there is a real risk of the boundary wall collapsing.

Do it properly, get your builder to do a proper job, ask him to show you the details and ensure there won't be a collapse. There's a minimum thickness that you'll require.. you don't want to save and shave, and end up with a bigger problem..