Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chunky Monkey

Ways To Show Your Love

Because of a recent debate about husband working late hours which digressed to how one trusts his/her spouse, I am therefore interested to know what are the little gestures that you do, to show your spouse that he/she is the most important person in your life. We live in a materialistic world. So I am not keen to hear stories about who bought the biggest bling, took you to the most posh restaurants etc. I am interested to hear real, heart-felt stories.

I choose to start this thread as inspiration to all the young people who will be getting married, to serve as a reminder that you need to constantly let your Significant Other know how much he/she means to you. If you constantly stick around people who do not have pure hearts, your heart will forever not be pure.

Drum roll please ......

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Chunky,

I applaud this thread and I'm the first to vote for it being a sticky. You are too right that everyone is caught up in the ratrace for bigger paychecks/bigger houses/bigger cars... that alot of ppl have overlooked the little things that mean more...

I'll start with mine:

My wife likes it when she gets a call from me if possible once a day. She knows that its not possible because of the busy schedule. Hence I try to call at least 2-3 times a a week when i'm in the office.. different timings.. ad hoc..

For her, it means that even though i know you are busy, i'm glad that you took time to remember me and call me. it could be to ask if she had lunch or hows she doing..

I dunno if it means much to other ppl but it sure means abit to mrs phantom.

I would write little notes of sweet nothings (what sweet nothings cannot tell you all lahh!) and secretly hides them into her daily necessities, eg handbags, handphone cases, laptops, work files, etc. So as she goes through her usual routine everyday, she can be surprised by all the notes.

actually i'm not married and won't consider doing so in the near future

but i guess i can contribute coz i also have loved one ma :sport-smiley-004:

for me, i dun believe in buying things most of the time coz what i can afford, my bf can well afford it too :good:

how i show my affection is by cooking for him. sometime we go out for a meal and he finds a certain dish very nice, i'll go to the market and ask around for the recipe so that i can cook it for him next time. but he will have to be my guinea pig for a few times before what i cook can be considered of standard...

another thing i'll do is ask him at the end of the day 'how was your day?' and really listen to him. i will not offer my opinion or advice or whatever, just sit there listening to him quietly. he usually feel much better after such venting sessions.

that's all i can think of now. will contribute again when i can think of anything :)

My contribution to this thread. When I recall more gestures, I will post again.

My DH travels weekly. In and out at least 2 Asian countries a week. His flight bookings are 2-3 pages long each time. As a frequent traveller, he never wastes time to check in his luggage. And he likes to be the last few to hop onto the aircraft.

Sometimes when he gets too busy, he forgets to do his internet check in to secure his seat and also print out his boarding pass.

I will make a point to remember for him and do it on his behalf. On longer flights where he can use the "Book the Cook" privilege on SQ flights, I will choose something that I know he will enjoy alot.

Even though my DH says I don't have to pick him up from the airport, I will peel myself from bed and zoom to the airport to pick him up (unless the flight arrives in some ungodly hour). The time in the car, we can catch up on what's happening to each other.

Friday is our movie night. Sometimes he chooses the movie. Sometimes I choose. And we always share a popcorn even though I think it's fattening. I will then work out at the gym extra hard.

Chunky,

That got me thinking (Chunky Monkey = Ben and Jerry?)

Mrs Phantom has to travel but less frequently... i try to pick her up at the airport whenever she comes back.. *unless i have company function*

Sometimes wee morning have to wake up to help her bring luggage down... lol...

Yes, Ben & Jerry's. My fave flavour.

ha ha ha. thats mine too.. i got addicted to B&J courtesy of mrs phantom..

her favourite is Cherry Garcia lol...

oh.. another little thing.. i know she lurrvves... Ben and Jerry.. so i'll buy a tub when i can to give her a surprise in the fridge.. lol..

DH loves his football. And I *never* ever once comment that football is boring. I respect him, and I respect his likes and dislikes. He loves to watch live matches. And being with the boys is so much more fun than having his wife's company. I know this. So I will shoo him out of the house to join his friends for couple of beers and watch the matches. He always says "you know I don't have to go, right? If you want to do something, let's do it. I can catch up on the scores on soccer.net". I never ever take up his offer to take me out somewhere when a match is on. I will then amuse myself with some cyber shopping or just surfing.

ha ha ha. thats mine too.. i got addicted to B&J courtesy of mrs phantom..

her favourite is Cherry Garcia lol...

oh.. another little thing.. i know she lurrvves... Ben and Jerry.. so i'll buy a tub when i can to give her a surprise in the fridge.. lol..

That's very sweet (pun intended) but no monetary gifts in this thread. :sport-smiley-004:

DH loves his football. And I *never* ever once comment that football is boring. I respect him, and I respect his likes and dislikes. He loves to watch live matches. And being with the boys is so much more fun than having his wife's company. I know this. So I will shoo him out of the house to join his friends for couple of beers and watch the matches. He always says "you know I don't have to go, right? If you want to do something, let's do it. I can catch up on the scores on soccer.net". I never ever take up his offer to take me out somewhere when a match is on. I will then amuse myself with some cyber shopping or just surfing.

thats very understanding..

and i take back the ben and jerry ... lol... i forgot.. that constitutes monetary gift..

but what if we eat that together? lol... well.. maybe she eats 7/10.. i eat 3/10... but hey.. love isn't abt equal share.. lol..

i guess hubby shows his love more than i show my love to him. :good:

ever since i've resigned from my job (more than half a year) and hubby has been buying lunch for me b'cos he afraid i'll go hungry. this is part of showing his love to me. when i'm sick and he'll accompany/drive me to see a doctor. there was once i'd food poisoning and vomitted non-stop, it was about 3 am in the morning. i called hubby's house and told him i was sick, he immediately drove all the way from serangoon to holland and accompanied to see a doctor. :sport-smiley-004: this is also part of his love to me. there're a lot more... :)

I like to fall asleep with his arm around me. It can cut off his blood circulation but he normally allows me to do so.

Once I went to a friend gathering that ended very late (after midnight), he actually came in a taxi to fetch me home.

I was completely overwhelmed after my first child was born. Hubby did ALL the housework, ALL the marketing and ALL the dinners for 7 months uncomplaining until I was able to take over slowly little by little. I just focused on being a mother. No bended knee proposal or fancy dinner can ever make up for all that hard work and love. :bleah:

little things my darlin does for me to show his love:

1) he "disturbs" me by giving me hugs & kisses & good night greetings without fail every night. sometimes even when i'm alr asleep... zz

2) he gets me a glass of water when we get home 8|

3) he waits up for me whenever i go out wif frens till late

4) he tries really hard to knock off on time just to accompany me to have dinner everyday 8|

5) he holds my bag for me whenever we go out :bleah:

6) he makes me laff by putting on shrek ears :D

okie lah my guy is not rich but he is generous towards me & tt's more than enuff for me... :wub:

Edited by cornetto

So, what are the gals doing in return? :bleah:

Just to start the balling rolling:

Hubby finds warm home cooked dinners, especially his favourites, immensely satisfying after a long day's work.

He appreciates having me to pack his luggage when he goes for overseas trips. Actually, I think he has no problems packing himself 8|, he just feels more loved this way...when I pack travel medication, liang cha, swimming stuff, etc, part of the send him off process.

He appreciates that I mend his bag and clothes. Very thrifty guy. 8|