Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Homeowner

Everyone's Favourite Simple, Tasty Recipes :)

hi karen77sg, maybe you want to consider using the chicken fat to fry the rice first before cooking them in the rice cooker

another lazy persons way of cooking chicken rice

ingredient

chicken

rice

pandan leave

ginger

garlic

method

1. wash and clean all ingredients

2. put all ingredients except chicken into rice cooker

3. put chicken on steaming plate of rice cooker

4. cook and open to stir the rice just before fully cooked

during cooking, the oil of the chicken will drip into the rice so the rice will have the nice fragrant

more lazy way of cooking

everything same as above except chop up the chicken, mix everything together and cook :deal:

not the typical hainanese style but nice still :deal:

great for pple looking for easy to cook one-dish meal :bangwall:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Guess i have to drop by here more... to get all the recipe and to whip out more dishes... i am quite lazy... simply just whip out watever is in the fridge... :bangwall:

hi karen77sg, maybe you want to consider using the chicken fat to fry the rice first before cooking them in the rice cooker

ingredient

chicken

rice

pandan leave

ginger

garlic

method

during cooking, the oil of the chicken will drip into the rice so the rice will have the nice fragrant

more lazy way of cooking

everything same as above except chop up the chicken, mix everything together and cook :P

not the typical hainanese style but nice still :D

great for pple looking for easy to cook one-dish meal :lol:

this lazy method look like claypot chicken, except that in this case, a rice cooker is used instead of claypot :rofl:

hehehe, this is what my mother insist is hakka style chicken rice

she will cook it for us when we want to eat something different

for claypot chicken rice, the most important thing is the rice

the chicken is only added near the end of the cooking process

ate the claypot rice at margaret dr

very good coz the rice is cooked in the claypot, not like some who add half-cooked rice into the claypot to save time

the rice can absorb the fragrance of the claypot

one tip - claypot is worth more when it is used coz the material actually absorbs the fragrance of previous cooking and give the food a more 'flavourful' taste. so new claypot got to 'season' then can cook good food :lol:

Hi Applefreak, tried your recipe last night. Quite nice. :bow: But, dunno why my ribs are still a bit hard even though I simmered it longer than recommended - abt 15-20 min. By then, the bitter gourd was really soft...my son said it was like fruit, just slightly bitter. Think I need a little more practice! :) Hubby thought it was nice for a change. Thanks for sharing. :)

Think the greasiness of the rice depends on the greasiness of the stock. Did you add enough stock? More stock/water soften the rice.

My chicken rice recipe is very simple, no cloves and cinnnamon though.

Three chicken pieces. Make cuts and stuff with finely sliced ginger, garlic, and pandan leaves. Wash rice, fill up with required amount of chicken stock (my own recipe) - see markings on rice cooker, put in tied up pandan leaves, garlic and ginger. When the rice is cooked, throw in the chicken pieces. Let it steam inside for the a while, abt 20 min. And the chicken rice is done!

Sigh...haven't cooked sweet and sour for a long time...maybe I should try again. Mine has no chilli 'cos the kids can't take chilli yet. :)

Is the chicken pieces meant for the white chicken or to add flavour to the rice? I am confused! Chicken steam in the rice cooker? Nice?

ingredient

chicken

rice

pandan leave

ginger

garlic

method

more lazy way of cooking

everything same as above except chop up the chicken, mix everything together and cook :help:

not the typical hainanese style but nice still :)

great for pple looking for easy to cook one-dish meal :dribble:

Chicken fats? I hv not tried tat before? Can get from wet markets?

Oni fry the chicken fats with the rice? The rice must be cooked or not?

So sorri...I am such a bother...hehe...

Steamed red Garoupa with light Soya Sauce ( u can use other fishes suitable for steaming as well)

Preparation : 10 mins, cook 7 mins, serves 4 pax

Ingredients :

- 600g whole red garoupa, gutted and gills removed

- shredded spring onion and red chilli for garnishing

- Ginger

Sauce (mix together)

- 2 tbsps light soy sauce

- 1/2 tbsp fish sauce

- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce

- 1/2 tbsp Maggi seasoning

- 1/2 tbsp sugar

- 6 tbsps water

Steps :

- Stuff the ginger pcs inside the fish to rid the fishy smell.

- Place 2 or 3 chopsticks on a heated proof plate that is large enuff to hold the fish.

Place the fish on top of the chopsticks. It should be lying flat on the the chopsticks and

suspended from the bottom of the plate. This will ensure that the fish will cook evenly

and much faster.

- Place the entire fish in s steamer of vigorously boiling water. Steam for 5 to 7 mins.

If u r using fresh fishes, 5 mins is sufficient. Chill fishes from the supermarkets may need

2 to 3 mins more.

- Once the fish is cooked, pour the sauce over. U can also heat a little oil (abt 2

tsps) till very hot and pur over the fish, for extra fragrance.

- Serve garnished with shredded spring onion and red chilli.

It tastes just like the steam fishes we eat outside in resturants and zhi char stalls.

NICE!

Edited by karen77sg

chicken fats are just those yellow yellow things under the skin

can fry them like you do pork lard

no oil, put the chicken fats in to get the oil

then fry washed rice in the oil

the rice must not be cooked :help:

we all start off like this mah, no questions means totally dun understands liao :dribble:

Is the chicken pieces meant for the white chicken or to add flavour to the rice? I am confused! Chicken steam in the rice cooker? Nice?

I usually use chicken pieces with skin (1 piece for 1 person - drumstick, wing, or thigh) in my cooking becos my family is small so we can't finish the entire chicken in 1 meal. It is not meant to add flavour to the rice. Putting the chicken pieces in when the rice is just cooked or about to be cooked (almost dry) will result in the chicken being steamed just right, not too long or else they'll be hard. Making cuts and stuffing the pieces with garlic, ginger and pandan leaves infuse the meat with the flavours. Hope this helps. :dribble:

I usually use chicken pieces with skin (1 piece for 1 person - drumstick, wing, or thigh) in my cooking becos my family is small so we can't finish the entire chicken in 1 meal. It is not meant to add flavour to the rice. Putting the chicken pieces in when the rice is just cooked or about to be cooked (almost dry) will result in the chicken being steamed just right, not too long or else they'll be hard. Making cuts and stuffing the pieces with garlic, ginger and pandan leaves infuse the meat with the flavours. Hope this helps. :dribble:

Ok...thanks for yr clarification!

chicken fats are just those yellow yellow things under the skin

can fry them like you do pork lard

no oil, put the chicken fats in to get the oil

then fry washed rice in the oil

the rice must not be cooked :notti:

we all start off like this mah, no questions means totally dun understands liao :sport-smiley-004:

Oic....I get wat u mean..Thanks..will try out when i am ready....keke...

Hey, Applefreak, tried your dish again, followed the 15 min stewing time exactly :sport-smiley-004: ...the bitter gourd was just the right texture this time..yummy salty-bitter, but the ribs were still tough despite marinating overnight.... Any tricks to soften it or perhaps I bought the wrong type of ribs?

My contribution:

1 Chicken (chopped up into medium size) OR

approx. 1 kg frozen chicken wings

1/2 big btl of coke

pepper

1 cinnamon stick

5 star anise

2 thumb size ginger (sliced)

sesame oil

1/3 to 1/2 btl of water (use the coke btl to measure)

Method:

1) Heat sesame oil in pot, stir fry ginger till lightly brown. Add in cinnamon stick & star anise. Stir fry for another 2 mins.

2) Add in Chicken, stir fry till lightly brown.

3) Add all the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil & simmer over low heat for at least 45mins, stiring occasionally.

4) pepper to taste before serving & voila!

Simple dish to prepare & make. Can just stir fry egg omelette & a veg, then u hv 3 dish meal liao! :dunno:

Hey, Applefreak, tried your dish again, followed the 15 min stewing time exactly :good: ...the bitter gourd was just the right texture this time..yummy salty-bitter, but the ribs were still tough despite marinating overnight.... Any tricks to soften it or perhaps I bought the wrong type of ribs?

to tenderize meat, you can add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda when marinating.... :dunno:

Hey, Applefreak, tried your dish again, followed the 15 min stewing time exactly :help: ...the bitter gourd was just the right texture this time..yummy salty-bitter, but the ribs were still tough despite marinating overnight.... Any tricks to soften it or perhaps I bought the wrong type of ribs?

hmm which type of rib did you buy?

it's the dim sum type of pai kuat :sport-smiley-003:

Dim sum type of pai kuat? :sport-smiley-003: Prime ribs? Like Bobby Ribino's?

My contribution:

1 Chicken (chopped up into medium size) OR

approx. 1 kg frozen chicken wings

1/2 big btl of coke

pepper

1 cinnamon stick

5 star anise

2 thumb size ginger (sliced)

sesame oil

1/3 to 1/2 btl of water (use the coke btl to measure)

Method:

1) Heat sesame oil in pot, stir fry ginger till lightly brown. Add in cinnamon stick & star anise. Stir fry for another 2 mins.

2) Add in Chicken, stir fry till lightly brown.

3) Add all the rest of the ingredients, bring to a boil & simmer over low heat for at least 45mins, stiring occasionally.

4) pepper to taste before serving & voila!

Ooh. Your recipe sounds interesting. It's some kind of chicken stew, right?

Sweet Sour Pork :

Sweet Potato Flour

I just realised that you use sweet potato flour. I've been using egg white and bread crumbs for my sweet and sour pork. Is there a difference between sweet potato flour and corn flour?

recipe courtesy of gendon :sport-smiley-003:

For the mashed potatoes, there are several types and versions. Mainly it's either the "sinful" version (aka nicer taste but more fattening) or "not so sinful" version (aka healthier, less fattening, suitable for kids too). U can choose to steam or boil the skinned potatoes until cooked soft. Usually I use the washed-potatoes in a bag kind - for its whiteness and faster-to-cook properties, not the loose unwashed potatoes commonly used for curry.

Mashed Potatoes (Sinful version) for 3-4 adults:

- 2 bags of washed potatoes, skinned and boiled until soft

- One Bulla Fresh Cream 45% fat in 200ML container

- One block of unsalted or less salted butter

- Ground black pepper, to taste

- Sea salt, to taste

Method: Boil or steam all the potatoes until cooked soft. When fully cooked, if boiling - drain off excess water from pot, and then put pot of potatoes back to stove and heat up gently & stir potatoes until all moisture dry up in pot. Turn off heat when done. Mash the potatoes while it is still in the pot, as the remaining heat is sustained. Pour in the Bulla Cream and drop in the butter, mash and stir together until smooth and no more lumps. Add in ground black pepper and sea salt, to taste. Serve warm.

Mashed Potatoes (Not So Sinful version) for 3-4 adults:

- 2 bags of washed potatoes, skinned and boiled until soft

- One to two cups of fresh milk for smoothness (whole or skimmed, is up to you)

- 3-4 tablespoons of virgin or extra virgin olive oil

- Ground black pepper, to taste (For kids or tots, can opt this out)

- Sea salt, to taste.

Method: Same as the Sinful version.

Brown Gravy (Chicken-based) for 3-4 adults:

- One whole chicken, cut into smaller pieces, leave skin on.

- 1-2 tablespoons of virgin olive oil.

Method: Pan fry chicken pieces (with skin on) with a bit of olive oil, until brown. Remove cooked chicken pieces from pan/pot and slowly pour in corn flour (pre-mixed with plain water and stirred until smooth and no more lumps) on gentle heat (stove). Stir until boiled gently and lower heat, keep stirring until thicker consistency. When colour change slightly, sample abit to taste if need to add in salt. If salty enough, no need to add in any salt, as the sodium from the cooked chicken fat/oils are already salty enough. Pour into a bowl and serve warm. Can also reheat in slow, gentle fire or microwave for abt 1 minute.

-- MSG-free cooking advocate --