Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
drycelll

Gloss Cabinet Will Hv "scratches" Even After Installation?

my ID strongly disagree abt me going for glossy cabinet for kitchen!! he mentioned immediately after installation, the moment u removed the protective sheet.. u will see scratches almost everywhere???? this freaks me out and we dec against!!

however, i ask him why is it so, he said is SO for glossy laminates???? anyone here hv installed glossy laminates(black e.g) and when your ID hand over, was it like wat my ID had describe to me?? hideously with "white scratches" ??? he said its "inherent" with glossy laminates???? :)

pls feedback, advise?

MTIA

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I guess what he meant is that for glossy surfaces, any scratches or marks will be more visible as compared to a matt surfaces.

my ID strongly disagree abt me going for glossy cabinet for kitchen!! he mentioned immediately after installation, the moment u removed the protective sheet.. u will see scratches almost everywhere???? this freaks me out and we dec against!!

however, i ask him why is it so, he said is SO for glossy laminates???? anyone here hv installed glossy laminates(black e.g) and when your ID hand over, was it like wat my ID had describe to me?? hideously with "white scratches" ??? he said its "inherent" with glossy laminates???? :dunno:

pls feedback, advise?

MTIA

hahaha wat a lie.....

i did my kitchen bottom cabinet in black glossy laminate. When my ID handed over the job, the surface in smooth condition. Until now still in good condition, need a little bit more effort to maintain from finger print and water mark

The reason why ID usually will advise not to black glossy is they have to ensure they get a good and highly skilled carpenter to do it, a little defect will be very obvious. ID prefers not to take the risk :seeya:

hahaha wat a lie.....

i did my kitchen bottom cabinet in black glossy laminate. When my ID handed over the job, the surface in smooth condition. Until now still in good condition, need a little bit more effort to maintain from finger print and water mark

The reason why ID usually will advise not to black glossy is they have to ensure they get a good and highly skilled carpenter to do it, a little defect will be very obvious. ID prefers not to take the risk :dunno:

i've seen another type of material that may be used to achieve that glossy look... its something like glass with tinted film behind.. black looks best... ikea has something like that... maybe can check out

hi cha-alex...its really so?? sob sob..hubby was so freak out that we dec against it...i am gg to ask my ID abt it liao.. do u thk u can PM me your ID? my id quoted one of his project, that the black glossy laminates upon hand over were with defects that the owner COULD not accept it totally and he has to spend extra cost to rectify that...

sob sob..it was my ideal dream kitchen...now i'm settled only on matt laminates....sob sob sob.,.

thks aspella_matrix, will chk out ikea..

It is true that glossy laminates can sustain irreversible scratches. You want to hear the truth, call Lam Chuan, the laminate wholesaler. It IS true. If you have a maid and will leave it to her to clean your house, you can forget about maintaining a nice look over time.

hi cha-alex...its really so?? sob sob..hubby was so freak out that we dec against it...i am gg to ask my ID abt it liao.. do u thk u can PM me your ID? my id quoted one of his project, that the black glossy laminates upon hand over were with defects that the owner COULD not accept it totally and he has to spend extra cost to rectify that...

sob sob..it was my ideal dream kitchen...now i'm settled only on matt laminates....sob sob sob.,.

thks aspella_matrix, will chk out ikea..

sorry lost contact with my ID oredi.......

i have black glossy laminates for my kitchen. no obvious scratches at all.

Hi Dry cell,

I think its too late to tell you now. but ask yrself.. why is glossy laminate there in the 1st place? Or does it mean that matt surface do not scratch as much or obvious if it did. Yr ID is totally preposterous to suggest such a thing. Mine cab is glossy and i used it very often and i'm not wearing glasses. i don see scratch as much as from those matt ones. However, there is one vital reason that matt finish do have... it cost less than glossy ones... got the hint?

however, i ask him why is it so, he said is SO for glossy laminates???? anyone here hv installed glossy laminates(black e.g) and when your ID hand over, was it like wat my ID had describe to me?? hideously with "white scratches" ??? he said its "inherent" with glossy laminates???? :)

pls feedback, advise?

MTIA

I do partly agreed with your ID. When he say scatches immediately after installation is rrdiculous. But truly any scatches will be more obvious than the mat ones. Even a finger print is visible in all direction, hence you require high standard of maintenance

Ha ha.. obviously a lie.

90% of my furniture are glossy laminate with different colours. No scatches at all. Just finger prints, need to wipe EVERYDAY.

But for the posh look, worth every bit of it :yamseng:

i have black glossy laminates for my kitchen. no obvious scratches at all.

ya, it's the human factor : how one handles it.