Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Topline

Replacing car porch roof

Hi, I got an old semi detached and I’m thinking of tearing down the existing car porch and putting up a cantilevered one so there are no columns. Is that possible and any idea on how much that would cost?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Depends on what type of roof you are looking at doing. Cantilevered roof would require the beams to be tied back to the main building’s structure somehow. 

for my house, the main beams of the car porch roof are welded to steel plates which are attached to L-brackets which are cast into the columns and beams of the house. My carporch roof is using steel structure and metal roof panels with calcium silicate ceiling below. 

my in laws place carporch roof is done just using wooden beams which are bolted to steel brackets and bolted to the main building. Roofing material is lightweight polycarbonate sheets. 

Ultimately, you will need to get a PE to check and design the structure for it. Cost will depend on what materials are used for the roof

Edited by snoozee

I pondered doing this for my home, but in the end I used the money to build a pool... it costs a lot and it's mainly done for the looks unless your porch is already in bad shape... 

Not cheap and you need a PE as snoozee mentioned.. 

I think is not a straight forward thingy just by replacing with cantilevered roof, I remembered that when I decided to change to laminated glass instead of polycarbonate sheets, the Structural engineer got to do resubmission as glass is much heavier and stronger concrete beam and steel bar needed 

3 hours ago, George Yeo said:

I think is not a straight forward thingy just by replacing with cantilevered roof, I remembered that when I decided to change to laminated glass instead of polycarbonate sheets, the Structural engineer got to do resubmission as glass is much heavier and stronger concrete beam and steel bar needed 

Why did you change to laminated glass? What’s the thinking?

9 hours ago, snoozee said:

Depends on what type of roof you are looking at doing. Cantilevered roof would require the beams to be tied back to the main building’s structure somehow. 

for my house, the main beams of the car porch roof are welded to steel plates which are attached to L-brackets which are cast into the columns and beams of the house. My carporch roof is using steel structure and metal roof panels with calcium silicate ceiling below. 

my in laws place carporch roof is done just using wooden beams which are bolted to steel brackets and bolted to the main building. Roofing material is lightweight polycarbonate sheets. 

Ultimately, you will need to get a PE to check and design the structure for it. Cost will depend on what materials are used for the roof

How does it work? I’m thinking of doing A&A but would I definitely need a PE? Or only if I want to do things that affect structure? I’m concerned abt costs... would I have to pay the PE to assess, only to say no, cannot do it. Seems pricey...

If you want to demolish the existing car porch roof and columns, you would need a PE to assess and let the builder know how to demolish. It’s not like just taking a sledge hammer to smash the thing down as there are rebars which need to be terminated properly and the PE will determine the method by reading the plans. So to build the cantilevered roof, you would definitely need the services of a PE. 
why don’t you talk to your builder who would be doing your A&A about this and let him go sort out the PE portion. It would be easier rather than you trying to find someone to do it

12 hours ago, Topline said:

Why did you change to laminated glass? What’s the thinking?

Its more of a personal preference and also I saw quite a bit of polycarbonate sheets turn yellow over time and kind of aesthetically unpleasant. 

2 minutes ago, George Yeo said:

Its more of a personal preference and also I saw quite a bit of polycarbonate sheets turn yellow over time and kind of aesthetically unpleasant. 

Its quite a huge job from design phase to erecting reinforced concrete beam, I beam and laying of laminated glass. 

Screenshot_20201212_110239.jpg

Thanks all. Sorry, I have a very basic question. If I intend to do A&A, does it make sense to go to a builder (I assume such builder is an architect too) or should I go to an interior decor firm (who will help find Builders to execute)? What are the considerations?

For the ID firm, they said they will call for tender for quotes for Builders to get market price. That seems like a plus compared to going to a builder directly?

On 12/12/2020 at 11:01 AM, George Yeo said:

Btw, I always see people with glass cantilevered car porch.... and wonder, how to clean the top? Cos it will be unsightly withe bird **** etc ...

9 hours ago, Topline said:

Thanks all. Sorry, I have a very basic question. If I intend to do A&A, does it make sense to go to a builder (I assume such builder is an architect too) or should I go to an interior decor firm (who will help find Builders to execute)? What are the considerations?

For the ID firm, they said they will call for tender for quotes for Builders to get market price. That seems like a plus compared to going to a builder directly?

If you or your family has ideas on how to design the house, then no need for ID. 

A builder is not an architect or a PE though they work with architects and PEs on projects. 

you can go directly to a builder or hire an ID to source for you. But do note that the ID would take a payment from you as well as usually take a commission from whatever suppliers they recommend you to buy from. I think builders also have commission/discounts from suppliers. Architects are not allowed to take any commission from anyone.

normally when ID and builders go to suppliers, they will get discounts off the list price. Eg for tiles, when you see price of $3psf at the showroom, the ID/builder will get it at a cheaper price like 10% off. That’s why if you walk in and make a purchase, the sales staff would usually ask if you have any ID or Contractor. 

ultimately, you need to decide whether you have extra money to hire an ID or not. 

Does anyone have an example of an actual cost of replacing/moving the car porch?

We are also looking into this... current car porch covers half the front (only driveway, typical inter-terrace). and we are thinking of moving the pillar to the far side  and extend the car porch to cover the full front and then use the top as walk out balcony

I do understand that different materials, different structure may cost differently but after reading the posts, some seem to indicate that it is very expensive. However, what is the indication of expensive? 10-20-30k? 50-80k? > 100k?

Anyone who has done it before can share what you did and the cost you paid?

This will help myself and perhaps TS also to have a rough number to know if its something to even proceed to think further..

TIA

9 hours ago, Kenneth Foo said:

Does anyone have an example of an actual cost of replacing/moving the car porch?

We are also looking into this... current car porch covers half the front (only driveway, typical inter-terrace). and we are thinking of moving the pillar to the far side  and extend the car porch to cover the full front and then use the top as walk out balcony

I do understand that different materials, different structure may cost differently but after reading the posts, some seem to indicate that it is very expensive. However, what is the indication of expensive? 10-20-30k? 50-80k? > 100k?

Anyone who has done it before can share what you did and the cost you paid?

This will help myself and perhaps TS also to have a rough number to know if its something to even proceed to think further..

TIA

You can’t legally extend the car porch all the way. The car porch setback from the front boundary is at 2.4m. So assuming your building setback is at 7.5m, your car porch roof can be up to 5.1m in length.

assuming your site width is 6m, your car porch roof can have a floor area of about 275sqf. If we apply the “standard” 300psf for new construction, your car porch roof would cost you about 82k.

do take note that you would still need to apply for demolition permit and get a PE to plan the demolition as well as design the new car porch roof.