Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Topline

Replacing car porch roof

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
23 hours ago, Kenneth Foo said:

Dear snoozee

Wow many thanks, this puts things in perspective. Once again much appreciated your expert advice as always

note that the estimated cost is really an guesstimate. but if you plan to use the car porch roof as a balcony, you would need a PE to also design the barriers/railings as well. note that the car porch roof terrace is supposed to be open to sky, meaning it shouldn't be covered. But some owners construct roof over it and I've seen some even creating an entire room out of the car porch roof. No matter what is done, get a PE to design the proper structures for these things. When it comes to safety, it shouldn't be compromised just to save some money.

Edited by snoozee

very good advise as always and definitely agree

One thing to note though, according to BCA, creating a 1meter railing at the open balcony does not require any submission and is allowed. And also i heard that they can use a T bar to hold and extend the car porch, so not sure if its still like demolish, piling, reconstruct a whole porch (thus $300PSF). and without roof and wall around it, i would reckon it should not be 300psf as well compared to building a room or extension

I will check out with some builders and if there are any updates, i will share the same

44 minutes ago, Kenneth Foo said:

very good advise as always and definitely agree

One thing to note though, according to BCA, creating a 1meter railing at the open balcony does not require any submission and is allowed. And also i heard that they can use a T bar to hold and extend the car porch, so not sure if its still like demolish, piling, reconstruct a whole porch (thus $300PSF). and without roof and wall around it, i would reckon it should not be 300psf as well compared to building a room or extension

I will check out with some builders and if there are any updates, i will share the same

while no submission is required, it doesn't mean that one should just simply bolt on some metal bars and assume that is safe to be used as a railing/safety barrier. When it comes to safety, always have professional design and drawings rather than "based on experience"

On 12/16/2020 at 9:26 AM, snoozee said:

If you or your family has ideas on how to design the house, then no need for ID. 

A builder is not an architect or a PE though they work with architects and PEs on projects. 

you can go directly to a builder or hire an ID to source for you. But do note that the ID would take a payment from you as well as usually take a commission from whatever suppliers they recommend you to buy from. I think builders also have commission/discounts from suppliers. Architects are not allowed to take any commission from anyone.

normally when ID and builders go to suppliers, they will get discounts off the list price. Eg for tiles, when you see price of $3psf at the showroom, the ID/builder will get it at a cheaper price like 10% off. That’s why if you walk in and make a purchase, the sales staff would usually ask if you have any ID or Contractor. 

ultimately, you need to decide whether you have extra money to hire an ID or not. 

I just come across "design and build" firms... are these guys architects or builders? Would they be cheaper? Any dangers in using such firms?

6 hours ago, Topline said:

I just come across "design and build" firms... are these guys architects or builders? Would they be cheaper? Any dangers in using such firms?

Builders. They usually have a go to architect to sign off the plans. Design is usually quite standard so don’t expect too much

On 1/1/2021 at 5:35 PM, Topline said:

These companies have a set template, with their own designers / architects / builders like a package deal.

In theory they can be cheaper, but in return for the convenience, you have less flexibility of design, customisation and materials used. Good for those who don't like hands on, and who can't monitor as much.

11 hours ago, petetherock said:

These companies have a set template, with their own designers / architects / builders like a package deal.

In theory they can be cheaper, but in return for the convenience, you have less flexibility of design, customisation and materials used. Good for those who don't like hands on, and who can't monitor as much.

Are they cheaper because we don't need to pay architect/ ID fees or because they are builders and can build in-house cheaper (than if you go through architect and third party builders)? Would their work quality be worse than if you have an independent architect to supervise?

Edited by Topline
Error

3 hours ago, Topline said:

Are they cheaper because we don't need to pay architect/ ID fees or because they are builders and can build in-house cheaper (than if you go through architect and third party builders)? Would their work quality be worse than if you have an independent architect to supervise?

The architect fees are much cheaper since its standard design which had been used many times with adjustments to cater for the land. The architect simply make the changes and does the submissions for a fee.

when you go through the architect route, you pay for the architect to design your house, do all the submissions to various authorities and project manage the builder as well. The architect protects your interest if there are disputes.

with a design and built builder, he does everything. So if there’s disputes, who you think will win?

In terms of quality, if the builder and his workers are good, the quality of work should be there. Also the builder would use better quality raw materials and not scrimp to save to cut cost. It doesn’t matter if its a D&B builder or through a tender process organised by the architect. 

On 1/4/2021 at 12:24 AM, snoozee said:

In terms of quality, if the builder and his workers are good, the quality of work should be there. Also the builder would use better quality raw materials and not scrimp to save to cut cost. It doesn’t matter if its a D&B builder or through a tender process organised by the architect. 

Would the cost of doing A&A (actual building work itself) be cheaper going through an architect and the tender process, than using a D&B builder? Since there is a competitive process in the tender process, you know ...

59 minutes ago, Topline said:

Would the cost of doing A&A (actual building work itself) be cheaper going through an architect and the tender process, than using a D&B builder? Since there is a competitive process in the tender process, you know ...

Actual cost may or may not be cheaper. Different builders will quote differently for the same item depending on the subcons they engage. With a tender process, you will get more quotes for comparison. From the various pricing, then you could possibly adjust your requirements to cut cost if needed