Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kenhee

Rebuild to Semi D or Detached

1 hour ago, shhh201 said:

ah ok i see!

I was very confused when they mentioned GFA. I was only under the impression I had to fulfill the envelop control regulations.

Is this possible? @yoongf to keep the submission as a semi-detached and physically build a detached? This will be quite ideal because i wanted to build one side with a bigger allowance for a playground and a BBQ zone. Will this actually infringe because they will need to do a final check before TOP.

Also, just based on experience here, is going with an architect always more expensive vs the builders?

your construction must be done based on the approved plans. so there is no way for you to submit as a semi-d and built as a detached.

going with architect may or may not be more expensive vs a direct builder.

if your house has a 11m width, you do not need to build the house until 9m wide for the entire house (kept as semi-detached). you can opt to have certain areas to be narrower than others. the regulation states the minimum setback. but you can increase the setback as much as you want as long as it fits within the envelope that URA has demarcated.

if you want to play around with your house's layouts, best is get an architect to do so. don't expect too much from builders "in-house" architects

Edited by snoozee

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 2/22/2021 at 2:57 PM, shhh201 said:

ah ok i see!

I was very confused when they mentioned GFA. I was only under the impression I had to fulfill the envelop control regulations.

Is this possible? @yoongf to keep the submission as a semi-detached and physically build a detached? This will be quite ideal because i wanted to build one side with a bigger allowance for a playground and a BBQ zone. Will this actually infringe because they will need to do a final check before TOP.

Also, just based on experience here, is going with an architect always more expensive vs the builders?

I think what yoongf is saying that that it still fulfills the semi-D guidelines but feels like a detached house:) I don't think he is advocating submitting as semi-D then secretly building a detached 😂

I've actually done a project that is a semi-D that is designed to feel like a detached house. Essentially we created a gigantic full length air-well along the entire party wall side where we placed the staircase and walkways. All rooms as a result have windows/doors on two sides to have cross ventilation and improve the amount of light entering.

The construction cost of going through the architect route is not necessarily more expensive versus a builder. In fact there is a fair tender process for the selection of the eventual construction (4-5 tenderers are usually invited to bid for the project). The biggest advantage of going through the architect route when selecting contractors is that everybody is pricing for the same thing as the design is finalized, versus D&B contractors giving a quote at the start before there is a fixed design.

Why some people think that D&B route is actually because the D&B designs tend to be more "basic", while architect design may be more fancy. Its like comparing a guy selling oranges with a guy selling apples. Not even the same item how to say which seller is cheaper ?😅

On 2/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, shhh201 said:

Thank you for sharing your opinions! @kenhee
Can I check what was the decision making process like in choosing to rebuild vs A&A?

Just checking if I am correct here: 
As long as my house does not exceed addition of more than 50%, (assuming current build up 5600)

i can tear down the whole house, level the ground keep some of the pillars and then redo the house till 8480 sqft and that is considered still an A&A correct?

and in this case, build cost will still be looking at around the same cost as a rebuild pricing on a PSF basis?

thank you so much in advance! and happy chinese new year! 

Rebuilding was the only option for us since the house has been empty for years and not in liveable condition. Also, we love rebuilding a home to suit our needs. Our previous home was also rebuilt. It’s a long process but ultimately fulfilling.