Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Aelron

Toilet Ceiling Paint Peeling

Hi, so just to give some back ground before going into the questions.

We moved in about a year ago after doing a full renovation. About 4 - 5 months ago, we noticed that the paint on the ceilings of the toilets and some of the rooms were starting to peel. We checked in with out ID and he said that it was normal wear and tear and that it would cost about $1200 to repaint. Additionally he said that the oil sealant was not quoted in our contract.

My wife and i both feel that it is not right that we are charged for the repainting, especially when the sealant step was skipped by the ID. 

Point to note: ID did not mention that we needed oil sealant (We would have gladly gotten it done if they had told us). 

So some questions that we have:

1. Is it normal practice that Oil Sealant is not quoted? 
  2. Is there anyway we can get the ID to rectify this problem? eg CASE?
  3. What should the lifespan be for a properly done paintwork?

Thanks in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, I am as troubled as you with my ceiling with peeling and mildew problem. I did my checks by asking Nippon Paint and online research, there are generally different causes to the problem that we are facing. One of the possible cause is moisture which the area is not well ventilated and surfaces that has condensation which are not dried up properly. Toilets are generally a wet area so high volume of moisture, bedrooms could be the temperature difference between your room and your neighbour’s room above which they turned on aircon and you are not so moisture is formed at your ceiling. Lastly is your home resale? Because there maybe old paint underneath the new ones. Scrapping off old paint in reno is additional cost again.

As for sealant, it is not a mandatory item to be included in renovation quote as basic paint is sufficient for most homes. Sealant is optional which many people will skip because it's extra cost to homeowner who may think it is unnecessary.