Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tim_chenie

Rewiring

Currently we are getting a near 20 years old 4-rm resale flat and the previous owner had not done a renovation since 12 years ago. :dancingqueen:

The issue is whether is there a need to do rewiring. One point stated by my colleague is that there are seldom, if not no fire hazards caused by HDB wiring problems, so there is no need to change. But what we are concerned with is that it had been 12 years since the last renovation, so we are having doubts of the quality of the wires running around the house.

The other issue is the quotation. The electrician quoted 2.5K for the rewiring of the whole house, including MCB, wire, switch casing, tests and extra wiring points. Is that the standard market rate? If there's a more reasonable price with good quality workmanship, please PM us. :D

Anyone who have experience in this area do kindly reply. Thanks in advance. :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Tim,

Is better to rewire the whole unit if your place is very old (especially >20yrs). Not sure if the last owner renovation 12yr ago did any rewiring?

As for the price, this depends on how many lightng & power points you planning to have. Also if any SP testing is to be done.

Currently we are getting a near 20 years old 4-rm resale flat and the previous owner had not done a renovation since 12 years ago. :bangwall:

The issue is whether is there a need to do rewiring. One point stated by my colleague is that there are seldom, if not no fire hazards caused by HDB wiring problems, so there is no need to change. But what we are concerned with is that it had been 12 years since the last renovation, so we are having doubts of the quality of the wires running around the house.

The other issue is the quotation. The electrician quoted 2.5K for the rewiring of the whole house, including MCB, wire, switch casing, tests and extra wiring points. Is that the standard market rate? If there's a more reasonable price with good quality workmanship, please PM us. :(

Anyone who have experience in this area do kindly reply. Thanks in advance. :)

Hi Tim,

Is better to rewire the whole unit if your place is very old (especially >20yrs). Not sure if the last owner renovation 12yr ago did any rewiring?

As for the price, this depends on how many lightng & power points you planning to have. Also if any SP testing is to be done.

Hi lifestyle,

Thanks for the reply, the last owner did not do any rewiring, all are the original HDB wires.

How much is SP testing? Does it takes a bulk of the whole cost?

As for the lighting & power points, we only wanted to have an addition 3 to 5 more points.

By the way I also found some other topics that sidetracked to my topic, here's the link if anyone is interested.

Rewiring Highlighted01

Rewiring Highlighted 02

:bangwall:

This is my opinion...

Wires will last about 20 yrs, then likely to have problems such as insulation failure that will require rewiring. If u dun plan to be there for more than 8 yrs, then I think no need, assuming the existing point locations are where u want the points to be.

If u intend to stay there for more than 8 yrs, and u dun mind ad-hoc re-running of exposed casings, then dun rewire.

Usually, ppl rewire to relocate points, or they are going for full scale showflat look with all hidden wirings.

Fires resulting from wires are rare, but the consequence is huge. Is usually due to overloading or sparking due to too many plugs into 1 adaptor (where heavy adaptor becomes loose and fall off) If wanna have piece of mind, then just change those high current ones, such as AC/ water heater or induction hob. Usually high current means heat generated means plastic insulation turn brown/yellow means brittle means short means sparks means fire.

Wires will last about 20 yrs, then likely to have problems such as insulation failure that will require rewiring. If u dun plan to be there for more than 8 yrs, then I think no need, assuming the existing point locations are where u want the points to be.

Hi yoongf, thanks for the reply, really gave us an insight regarding whether to do rewiring or not. :rolleyes:

Just some queries, if we are going to add new power points, it is also factor as "rewiring"?

How much normally does adding three to five power points cost?

Will additional power points causes more pressure on the MCB?

If so, does it means there's a need to change it?

Usually, ppl rewire to relocate points, or they are going for full scale showflat look with all hidden wirings.

So rewiring does not necessary means removing all the existing wires and replace them with new ones? How about the package I posted? Please advise.

Once again, thanks for all the replies. :P

Just found a topic regarding "Electrical Work Pricing, Updated info needed", for those who are interested, here is the link:

Electrical Work Pricing, Updated info needed

BTW, today is our first day of renovation, the first day of hacking the tiles.

We will be updating our T-Blog with the photos. :notti:

Hi all,

I have an urgent query and hope you can help me.

If I want to change the DB box for my resale HDB flat, should I rewire the whole house at the same time? Or can I just simply change the DB box without any rewiring?

What's the correct way to go about doing it?

Please advise.

Thank you!! biggrin.gif

Hi all,

I have an urgent query and hope you can help me.

If I want to change the DB box for my resale HDB flat, should I rewire the whole house at the same time? Or can I just simply change the DB box without any rewiring?

What's the correct way to go about doing it?

Please advise.

Thank you!! biggrin.gif

You need to engage a qualified electrician to change the DB. It is up to you to spend money on the rewiring. If I were the electrician, I will recommend that you change everything because I can make money ! However, unless the DB's casing plastic is 'yellow' even after cleaning, a good coat of ICI Dulux paint will do the job. DON'T paint over the Switches !